David Bloxham interview

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

ctfc-fan
Cheltenham Town

CTFC Investments Ltd a 22.4% shareholder, listed in Cayman Islands register.

Response from club “Our investors’ company is registered in another jurisdiction simply because that’s where they live.”

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/20 ... -responses
ctfc-fan
longmover
Shade wrote: 26 Mar 2024, 17:26 Money grows money. The club has little compared to others. If we had more money, we could employ more people, who could generate more income. We could invest more into the facilities, which would generate more income. Just because other owners are able and willing to throw £1m in, or are able to open up new employment opportunities, doesn't mean that we do/can. Weren't we told that anyone who pays £100k can buy onto the board? Well, it would seem that nobody else wants to.

If anyone here has £100k + to invest then I strongly encourage them to.

I know the board and off-pitch appear to be quite non-league, but it's the model that has kept this club punching above its weight for the last few years. Do we want to completely throw that in the bin in the hope we grow? Because we could easily become a club like, say, Bradford, who should be doing a hell of a lot better for their size but have been stuck in League 2 for 11 of the last 17 seasons, by the time August rolls round? Or Yeovil, who rolled the dice and ended up in...I don't know where they are now...National League South? Then there's Burton and Wycombe, who got up to the Championship for a season, came back down and currently aren't that far above us in League One, with our current board.

The board aren't that bad. Cheltenham Town are in with a shout of survival in League One, which is a bit of a miracle in itself if you remove yourself from this and look at the whole picture for a moment. If we don't survive, then I'd be reasonably confident that with DC we could be in with a decent chance at promotion next season. And I'll continue to hope that some rich #$£! comes along and decides he quite likes the club and drops a cool £10m off and asks for nothing in return.
Fair points, and to achieve the most successful period of the clubs history with a part time board is one hell of an achievement and its valid to say if it ain't broke don't fix it, but then flip it and say where could we be with a more progressive approach in the boardroom? As mentioned in this thread there does seem to be a very cosy old boy network to the board doing its level best to resist change at every opportunity (We don't here from Murray Toms much anymore do we?) I sometimes wonder if this puts people off joining the board as they'll just pull rank and make it awkward to the point of 'why bother'

I just get soo frustrated that we have a league one football club in 2024 with a board (and a football club) that works on the modal of a non league team from the late 90's and they have done nothing to show they are willing to change that.
1985CTFC
Living close to Exeter I take a mild interest in what they are doing.
Noticed this on their web site.
https://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/news/202 ... one-update

With regard to the away fans zone in the bowling green car park, does anyone know do the club make any money from the operation? Do they have to be segregated ? Pretty sure at Exeter no segregation exists.
Just wondering if at Exeter the club control the sales of food and drink and hence reap the rewards from both home and away fans. Always seems packed when I visited to see CTFC . Probably more so if they get some covering, during a bleak winters evening .
If away fans knew they could get a good pint and food at the ground maybe less likely to go else where. Not all, but some more, than a open air zone on a wet cold match day. But if we reap no rewards for a packed out opposition fan zone then no point is there.
Just seems to me we are missing out on some extra opposition dosh. I may be wrong of course and someone no doubt will give me a reason why.
Jerry St Clair
Iglu run the bowling green and other food and drink outlets. No idea what the commercial arrangement is, but a friend of mine who runs a mobile catering unit at events around Gloucestershire says it's pretty typical for him to pay a fixed pitch fee and then hand over 20% of takings to the event operator. Those are usually one-offs so it might be a different arrangement for a longer term deal such as a football club (especially as Igloo use club facilities).

I've used the Exeter fan zone and there were plenty of other CTFC fans in there. It's great and was packed. The key thing (and I find this maddening at WR) is that they had the live lunchtime game on the TV screens dotted around the zone. Why we don't do this I cannot fathom. Far, far more people would get in the bars around Whaddon Road earlier if they knew there was football on the TV.
longmover
Jerry St Clair wrote: 27 Mar 2024, 13:53 Iglu run the bowling green and other food and drink outlets. No idea what the commercial arrangement is, but a friend of mine who runs a mobile catering unit at events around Gloucestershire says it's pretty typical for him to pay a fixed pitch fee and then hand over 20% of takings to the event operator. Those are usually one-offs so it might be a different arrangement for a longer term deal such as a football club (especially as Igloo use club facilities).

I've used the Exeter fan zone and there were plenty of other CTFC fans in there. It's great and was packed. The key thing (and I find this maddening at WR) is that they had the live lunchtime game on the TV screens dotted around the zone. Why we don't do this I cannot fathom. Far, far more people would get in the bars around Whaddon Road earlier if they knew there was football on the TV.
Just imagine if the club (had) made an offer to Parklands they couldn't refuse, CTFC owned it and spent some money making it look decent and made that a fanzone. And when big away followings came to WR (ipswich, sunderland, Wednesday and Plymouth it was away only, the money that would make and its all CTFC's.

Same applies to the bowls club.
Si Robin
Imagine some home fans prefer to drink in Parklands.
1985CTFC
Si Robin wrote: 27 Mar 2024, 14:32 Imagine some home fans prefer to drink in Parklands.
Wouldn't have to be away only. No segregation at Exeter , so why not the same at revamped Parklands. Guess at the moment you have home and away at Parklands at present.
Mind you can't see CTFC getting their hands on Parklands.
1985CTFC
Interesting read...last accounts, Looks like we took a bank loan out of 500K presumably for the training ground, but don't quote me as I am no Accountant. Top line shows latest accounts. Some share issues presumably to provide funds. Not sure if any loans relate to share issue.
Cash at bank was interesting 2060K in 2022 then down to 819K in 2023. Still solvent!!!!

https://find-and-update.company-informa ... ng-history
Robin
1985CTFC wrote: 27 Mar 2024, 15:32 Interesting read...last accounts, Looks like we took a bank loan out of 500K presumably for the training ground, but don't quote me as I am no Accountant. Top line shows latest accounts. Some share issues presumably to provide funds. Not sure if any loans relate to share issue.
Cash at bank was interesting 2060K in 2022 then down to 819K in 2023. Still solvent!!!!

It was a low interest mortgage as I understood it, topped up with a donation from one of our benefactors and a big chunk of money from the club coffers. I suspect the training ground cost in excess of seven figures and believe we got it at a discount price too.
longmover
Si Robin wrote: 27 Mar 2024, 14:32 Imagine some home fans prefer to drink in Parklands.
for a guaranteed sold out away following making away only means away fans don't have the risk of being turned away at other pubs, its right next to the ground so no risk of having to leave a pub (they can get in) early to make kick off and pretty sure the police would like most away fans in one place.

winner winner chicken dinner!!!
1985CTFC
Robin wrote: 27 Mar 2024, 16:07
1985CTFC wrote: 27 Mar 2024, 15:32 Interesting read...last accounts, Looks like we took a bank loan out of 500K presumably for the training ground, but don't quote me as I am no Accountant. Top line shows latest accounts. Some share issues presumably to provide funds. Not sure if any loans relate to share issue.

It was a low interest mortgage as I understood it, topped up with a donation from one of our benefactors and a big chunk of money from the club coffers. I suspect the training ground cost in excess of seven figures and believe we got it at a discount price too.
Hence the drop in the bank account then. Explains the difference.
Wonder what the training ground is valued at now as an asset?
plymrob
Imagine a bowls player wanting a local green.
ctfc-fan
1985CTFC wrote:Interesting read...last accounts, Looks like we took a bank loan out of 500K presumably for the training ground, but don't quote me as I am no Accountant. Top line shows latest accounts. Some share issues presumably to provide funds. Not sure if any loans relate to share issue.

Cash in the bank doesn’t necessarily make you solvent. That’s down to the balance sheet and whether the liabilities outweigh the assets.
1985CTFC
ctfc-fan wrote: 27 Mar 2024, 22:35
1985CTFC wrote:Interesting read...last accounts, Looks like we took a bank loan out of 500K presumably for the training ground, but don't quote me as I am no Accountant. Top line shows latest accounts. Some share issues presumably to provide funds. Not sure if any loans relate to share issue.

Cash in the bank doesn’t necessarily make you solvent. That’s down to the balance sheet and whether the liabilities outweigh the assets.
Not saying necessarily solvent, but still with 800k plus in bank and now a 1million pound plus asset in the training ground I would expect us to be more or less solvent, wasn't thinking of other business and their accounting results just CTFC results.
ctfc-fan
1985CTFC wrote:
ctfc-fan wrote: 27 Mar 2024, 22:35

Not saying necessarily solvent, but still with 800k plus in bank and now a 1million pound plus asset in the training ground I would expect us to be more or less solvent, wasn't thinking of other business and their accounting results just CTFC results.
Bear in mind those accounts will be made up to some point last year, but there could be HMRC liabilities and the like which make a company insolvent. Not saying CTFC is by any means but look at their P&L reserves for a good indicator.