David Bloxham interview

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
longmover
I know we've not had a game for nearly two weeks but I suppose content has got to come from somewhere. :roll:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
“ The playing budget increased by around £400,000 this season, but remains the smallest in the division.”
Shade
Interesting what he had to say about Season's as well. Basically, unless the PL cough up or the right outside investment comes in, improvements aren't happening anytime soon.
Horteng
It does all seem very negative I must admit.........
Ihearye
Surprised they don't take the positive view that a 4g pitch could be used as a source of income, rather than just dead money
Horteng
Ihearye wrote: 25 Mar 2024, 16:20 Surprised they don't take the positive view that a 4g pitch could be used as a source of income, rather than just dead money
This probably sums up the negative mindset of the club unfortunately. Not prepared to speculate to accumulate
Si Robin
Yeah - a £500k loss last year, with a £400k increase in wage spend is really lax by the club.

Why aren't they spending anymore money that they haven't got???
ctfc-fan
Si Robin wrote:Yeah - a £500k loss last year, with a £400k increase in wage spend is really lax by the club.

Why aren't they spending anymore money that they haven't got???
Spot on Si.

What planet these posters are on is anyone’s guess. In one breath everyone is moaning at clubs like Reading ever spending then crashing and yet now they want our own club to do exactly that! The difference being improving Seasons doesn’t actually add any real value whereas a player might be getting you promoted.
Ihearye
The Einstein's are of course correct. It is wrong yo even have the opinion that it may be more cost effective to install a 4g pitch than spend it on Whaddon Road. Call the thought police
ctfc-fan
So what advantages would a 4g pitch give us over spending on WR? Gloucester Rugby play on 4g but also train on it whereas we’d be training on it and then playing on grass. I can find out the cost of GRFC pitch for a comparison.
Si Robin
Ihearye wrote: 25 Mar 2024, 20:22 The Einstein's are of course correct. It is wrong yo even have the opinion that it may be more cost effective to install a 4g pitch than spend it on Whaddon Road. Call the thought police
To be fair - my comment was aimed at Horteng's dig at the club for having a negative mindset. Yet another shout at the lack of ambition bullshit that seems to constantly ring out when the opposite is actually true.

If it makes sense, then I expect the board to invest in a 4g pitch, but it's about prioritising things. Parts of Whaddon Road need tarting up (the stairways on the old main stand being done in the summer for example), money being spent elswhere meaning less budget for staff and players, etc...

At the moment, it's probably more cost effective to pay to use Cleeve's 4g than it is to layout a massive lump sum on our own. Of course in the long run, that's not necessarily the case, but if we don't have the cash now for it then tough titties.
Fuller
Thought Southend were in trouble but they can do it…..
https://www.southendunited.co.uk/news/2 ... U1-cZZFQeA
Horteng
Si Robin wrote: 25 Mar 2024, 21:23
Ihearye wrote: 25 Mar 2024, 20:22 The Einstein's are of course correct. It is wrong yo even have the opinion that it may be more cost effective to install a 4g pitch than spend it on Whaddon Road. Call the thought police
To be fair - my comment was aimed at Horteng's dig at the club for having a negative mindset. Yet another shout at the lack of ambition bullshit that seems to constantly ring out when the opposite is actually true.

If it makes sense, then I expect the board to invest in a 4g pitch, but it's about prioritising things. Parts of Whaddon Road need tarting up (the stairways on the old main stand being done in the summer for example), money being spent elswhere meaning less budget for staff and players, etc...

At the moment, it's probably more cost effective to pay to use Cleeve's 4g than it is to layout a massive lump sum on our own. Of course in the long run, that's not necessarily the case, but if we don't have the cash now for it then tough titties.
Its more talk Si. We need to increase non matchday revenue etc etc. How many times have we heard it? And what is the club doing NOW about it?
longmover
Horteng wrote: 26 Mar 2024, 08:03
Si Robin wrote: 25 Mar 2024, 21:23

Its more talk Si. We need to increase non matchday revenue etc etc. How many times have we heard it? And what is the club doing NOW about it?
this^^ It's the same (almost condescending) message from Bloxham, "We need to look at how to increase revenue", how are the club going to do it David? At least sound like you and the board are remotely interested and give a 5hit about how to do this, not just give it one line and move on.

Lets have some idea's, proposals if they need help then get the message out that they're asking for it. If the council gave them the green light for Cakebridge would they be able to start the process to redevelop/build as soon as they put the phone down? Have they spoken to builders/contractor's/architects/council/highways about what they want?

they don't have to go into great detail but just a few signs that these issues have been addressed would be a glimmer of 'hope' to us that the board aren't just hiding behind soundbites.
Last edited by longmover on 26 Mar 2024, 10:37, edited 2 times in total.
Warwickshire Robin
Agree Longmover. Whilst I think the board have done/are doing a very good job in getting us where we are today in these historic times for CTFC, the message is always defensive and negative when surely this is the best time to be shouting about our achievements and 'selling' the club to future investors not just financial but incudes widening the fanbase.
1985CTFC
We are still a bit non league off the pitch, is my personal view. The makeup of the board to me seems to lack the necessary skills and invention and willingness to progress to being a forward thinking League 1 club and beyond.
Could do with better PR from the board, including a detailed plan on how they are going to take the club forward.
Hate to think what will happen if we don't stay up. Shrug of the shoulders from the Chairman and carry on as before.
Surely there must be someone out there with some dynamism and vision to call upon. Just seems a nice little cosy setup to have a meal and watch footy from a good vantage point.
No doubt some will see this as harsh. But I have been watching CTFC since 1985 so I feel I have a right to my comments, which predate probably most of the board.
Staying up in League 1 would be a good time during the coming summer for some sort of vision emanating from the board and as some have mentioned no doom and gloom all the time. Continually talking ourselves down which then becomes a self full filling prophecy.
Hope the lads on the field do the job and we can all have a good summer and look forward to next season with DC in charge to take us to the next level and hopefully drag the board with him/them.
Fuller
Let’s face it, as long as the club is run on the current business model, there is very little chance of the club moving forward in meaningful ways that I and many other supporters want to see.
Other supporters I know just say don’t upset the board, let them get on with it, if they leave who ever will take over the running of the club?
As was mentioned on here the other day, the Stevenage chairman has just injected £1million into his club. No idea of their business model, I just want to see some proper investment and plans for the foreseeable future at CTFC. At times as mentioned we seem like a League One club with a non league mentality.
horlickfanclub
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 26 Mar 2024, 10:27 Agree Longmover. Whilst I think the board have done/are doing a very good job in getting us where we are today in these historic times for CTFC, the message is always defensive and negative when surely this is the best time to be shouting about our achievements and 'selling' the club to future investors not just financial but incudes widening the fanbase.
It seems that if you are honest about the clubs situation you are "defensive " and " negative "." Its a funny old game" a man once said.
Si Robin
I genuinely don't know, so this is not me trying to be clever with a sarcastic question.

How many clubs have publicly published detailed plans of how they plan to move forward commercially?
longmover
Si Robin wrote: 26 Mar 2024, 12:49 I genuinely don't know, so this is not me trying to be clever with a sarcastic question.

How many clubs have publicly published detailed plans of how they plan to move forward commercially?
don't think I mentioned publicly publishing details (did I?)

we need to work harder to get some more commercial income

Constantly hiding behind this comment isn't good enough (imo), again (as I stated) he doesn't have to give a granular details but what the are clubs plans to do this? We're not idiots who don't need to worry ourselves about such matters, Its just a throwaway comment that's he's used for quite some time now.
longmover
1985CTFC wrote: 26 Mar 2024, 12:23 We are still a bit non league off the pitch, is my personal view. The makeup of the board to me seems to lack the necessary skills and invention and willingness to progress to being a forward thinking League 1 club and beyond.
Could do with better PR from the board, including a detailed plan on how they are going to take the club forward.
Hate to think what will happen if we don't stay up. Shrug of the shoulders from the Chairman and carry on as before.
Surely there must be someone out there with some dynamism and vision to call upon. Just seems a nice little cosy setup to have a meal and watch footy from a good vantage point.
No doubt some will see this as harsh. But I have been watching CTFC since 1985 so I feel I have a right to my comments, which predate probably most of the board.
Staying up in League 1 would be a good time during the coming summer for some sort of vision emanating from the board and as some have mentioned no doom and gloom all the time. Continually talking ourselves down which then becomes a self full filling prophecy.
Hope the lads on the field do the job and we can all have a good summer and look forward to next season with DC in charge to take us to the next level and hopefully drag the board with him/them.
I don't think you're a million miles away here.
Si Robin
longmover wrote: 26 Mar 2024, 13:11
Si Robin wrote: 26 Mar 2024, 12:49 I genuinely don't know, so this is not me trying to be clever with a sarcastic question.

don't think I mentioned publicly publishing details (did I?)

we need to work harder to get some more commercial income

Constantly hiding behind this comment isn't good enough (imo), again (as I stated) he doesn't have to give a granular details but what the are clubs plans to do this? We're not idiots who don't need to worry ourselves about such matters, Its just a throwaway comment that's he's used for quite some time now.
No need to get precious - it was an open question referencing this from 1985:

horlickfanclub
You read it as I do Robin. You asked a fair question and suddenly the argument about turns .
mogster72
The Facebook post yesterday shows how non-league we are. The club shop and ticket office both closed Tuesday & Wednesday due to illness. Thats one way not to grow commercial income.
andgarod
I have asked in the past how many of the directors hold more than 1000 shares
( cost of 1000 shares about £2000)

The major shareholders and I have not checked recently
Keswick
Caribbean
Baker
and the Trust

The trust only has a very limited cash
So its down to the other 3
So they have say £450K holding each
Keswick has in the past put in large wedges of money but got pissed off when a former manager asked him to pay the club debts
Baker is the string puller I beleive but does not appear to have any more money to put in
The Caribbean connection I dont know much about

So there is no major investment and thats where it ends

How many full time staff ( players and player management excluded are there

The only way I see new money coming in is via cup runs

Even if you won £10M on the lottery that would soon begone
I am grateful that we have a club in league 1 and long may that continue but we need backers who can loose £5M and not notice it
asl
Re the shop closure due to staff sickness:

Maybe a little unfair... If the club employs two people and 100% of them call in sick, what would you have them do? Pull in staff from another shop in another town to cover the shortfall, like other shops do? Obviously can't do that. Employ more than two people and split the hours between them? Yes, but there's overheads in doing that and it may be difficult to find people if they only get 10 hours per week.

I wonder how much footfall there actually is on non-matchdays. Maybe only open the shop at all on matchdays and the rest of the time should be online sales, only?
horlickfanclub
asl wrote: 26 Mar 2024, 13:53 Re the shop closure due to staff sickness:

Maybe a little unfair... If the club employs two people and 100% of them call in sick, what would you have them do? Pull in staff from another shop in another town to cover the shortfall, like other shops do? Obviously can't do that. Employ more than two people and split the hours between them? Yes, but there's overheads in doing that and it may be difficult to find people if they only get 10 hours per week.

I wonder how much footfall there actually is on non-matchdays. Maybe only open the shop at all on matchdays and the rest of the time should be online sales, only?
If staff are sick best thing is to close.We had players and staff ill last week and don't want anymore illness around the place. The races are over but some blinkers are still on .
1985CTFC

It is not just commercially, it is with regard to plans and ambition, being realistic of course but at least show a positive vision of where we are aiming and set some goals. I know goals are in short supply but at least our strikers are trying, no need for the board to not try as hard as well!
1985CTFC
Fuller wrote: 26 Mar 2024, 12:25 Let’s face it, as long as the club is run on the current business model, there is very little chance of the club moving forward in meaningful ways that I and many other supporters want to see.
Other supporters I know just say don’t upset the board, let them get on with it, if they leave who ever will take over the running of the club?
As was mentioned on here the other day, the Stevenage chairman has just injected £1million into his club. No idea of their business model, I just want to see some proper investment and plans for the foreseeable future at CTFC. At times as mentioned we seem like a League One club with a non league mentality.
Sometimes wonder if they really want someone ie a stranger to come in and upset the local non league feel within the boardroom. We are a small club compared to many around us, which we can't escape at the moment, but I can't see any way we are going to grow in the next few years. Even a tad. Not saying I have all the answers, but I am not running CTFC. Others have that responsibility.
Think the board are just hoping for a miracle by DC/players to get us in the Championship. Doing the work for them.
1985CTFC
Also I think there is the hope we are going to strike lucky with finding players to then sell on. Nothing wrong with that of course as it 'could' bring in some good money. We never hear much about our scouting network. How many scouts do we have, compared to other similar clubs? A good scouting network could well be self financing.
Exeter have reaped many a reward over the years, enabling them to totally revamp their training ground. Ollie Watkins and Ethan Ampadu being case in point. We did strike lucky with Goodwin but at what cost to our League one survival?
Being in Lg2 next season will more then likely mean we lose 1.3 million over what we could expect if we stay in Lg1.
Good decision or not ???
Do our staff training our youngster ever visit Prem clubs to study and bring this knowledge of the latest training techniques etc etc back to our club and youngsters? Probably not, if so why not let the supporters know we are being proactive in at least this field.
Fuller
Shrewsbury looking to increase commercial income too.
https://www.shrewsburytown.com/news/202 ... l651D3yhDc
Sort of role we should have to increase aforementioned commercial income?
Shade
Money grows money. The club has little compared to others. If we had more money, we could employ more people, who could generate more income. We could invest more into the facilities, which would generate more income. Just because other owners are able and willing to throw £1m in, or are able to open up new employment opportunities, doesn't mean that we do/can. Weren't we told that anyone who pays £100k can buy onto the board? Well, it would seem that nobody else wants to.

If anyone here has £100k + to invest then I strongly encourage them to.

I know the board and off-pitch appear to be quite non-league, but it's the model that has kept this club punching above its weight for the last few years. Do we want to completely throw that in the bin in the hope we grow? Because we could easily become a club like, say, Bradford, who should be doing a hell of a lot better for their size but have been stuck in League 2 for 11 of the last 17 seasons, by the time August rolls round? Or Yeovil, who rolled the dice and ended up in...I don't know where they are now...National League South? Then there's Burton and Wycombe, who got up to the Championship for a season, came back down and currently aren't that far above us in League One, with our current board.

The board aren't that bad. Cheltenham Town are in with a shout of survival in League One, which is a bit of a miracle in itself if you remove yourself from this and look at the whole picture for a moment. If we don't survive, then I'd be reasonably confident that with DC we could be in with a decent chance at promotion next season. And I'll continue to hope that some rich #$£! comes along and decides he quite likes the club and drops a cool £10m off and asks for nothing in return.
ctfc-fan
mogster72 wrote:The Facebook post yesterday shows how non-league we are. The club shop and ticket office both closed Tuesday & Wednesday due to illness. Thats one way not to grow commercial income.
Ok, so how would you propose to overcome that situation? I don’t know how many people work in the club shop but my guess is not many as it’s not exactly going to be a hive of activity during the week. So if you employ few people then you have to expect times like this. If it was a Tesco or Primark then you have enough staff to cover.
Jerry St Clair
andgarod wrote: 26 Mar 2024, 13:47
The Caribbean connection I dont know much about
CTFC Investments Ltd (representing a Cheltenham Town supporter based in the Cayman Islands)

I sometimes wonder if I'm being a bit thick here, but do we know who this person is? I never see a name mentioned. Is it an open secret, an omertà, that everybody's in on (except, seemingly, me)?