TONIGHT: 2023/24 Club Annual Shareholders Meeting and Fans’ Forum

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jerry St Clair
I’ve just been reading up about how Stevenage funded their new North Stand (the one at the opposite end from us) 5 years ago.

They launched a mini-bond scheme in which fans contributed between £500 and £25000. In return they got interest (4-8%) on their investment plus perks including access to hospitality, being part of the team photo etc

They raised £500k from 200 fans. The rest of the £1.2m cost was made up of grants, sponsorship etc.

I think Cheltenham Racecourse adopted a similar approach to build the new stand there 10 years ago.
Jerry St Clair
I know behind-the-goal facilities are more basic and a Main Stand would cost much more (though I’m not sure where £12m comes from). And we have the added complication of a land issue with Cakebridge.

But what a creative idea? There are ways and means if the will and capability were there.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Jerry St Clair wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 09:36 I’ve just been reading up about how Stevenage funded their new North Stand (the one at the opposite end from us) 5 years ago.

They launched a mini-bond scheme in which fans contributed between £500 and £25000. In return they got interest (4-8%) on their investment plus perks including access to hospitality, being part of the team photo etc

They raised £500k from 200 fans. The rest of the £1.2m cost was made up of grants, sponsorship etc.

I think Cheltenham Racecourse adopted a similar approach to build the new stand there 10 years ago.
Do you know who owns the stadium site at Stevenage? Bonds are easier to do when the bond seller owns the asset.

CTFC would essentially be selling bonds to develop on land they don’t own and using land they don’t own to pay bond holder returns. Although the club and bond holders would own the stand of course and it’s not an insurmountable barrier.

It is an interesting idea and a good example. It has the bonus of engaging fans and involving them in the experience.

Ripple Energy does something similar to fund the construction of wind farms. https://rippleenergy.com/
Jerry St Clair
As far as I can tell, Stevenage Borough Council own the Lamex. They took ownership in 1980 and the most recent reference I can find to the tenancy is a rent payment delay from 2011 agreed between the club and the council to fund ground improvements. Unless ownership has changed since, it’s the council.
Robin
That stand opposite us is exactly what should happen with the C&G, it was basic but had a bar underneath and good views. I would view Stevenage as a smaller club than ourselves and would imagine they've spent the majority of the last twenty five years below us in the league standings and with lower crowds yet they've turned a traditional non-league ground into a comparatively smart little league two venue. They even have proper ticket scanners on the entrances rather than relying upon turnstyle operators.

It further highlighted to me again how far we are falling behind off the field and that's why we are struggling to compete on the field.
Henry The Dog
Been to worse grounds this season such as Fleetwood, though food queue probably the longest ever. Have to say fun police head steward must be proud of himself, does he also burst all his neighbour’s kids footballs when they arrive in his garden.
Jerry St Clair
Henry The Dog wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 11:39 Been to worse grounds this season such as Fleetwood, though food queue probably the longest ever. Have to say fun police head steward must be proud of himself, does he also burst all his neighbour’s kids footballs when they arrive in his garden.
You mean Fred Elliott?

“I say, I say we’re not ‘’avin fun in ‘ere t’day”
art vandalay
Robin wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 10:52 That stand opposite us is exactly what should happen with the C&G, it was basic but had a bar underneath and good views. I would view Stevenage as a smaller club than ourselves and would imagine they've spent the majority of the last twenty five years below us in the league standings and with lower crowds yet they've turned a traditional non-league ground into a comparatively smart little league two venue. They even have proper ticket scanners on the entrances rather than relying upon turnstyle operators.

It further highlighted to me again how far we are falling behind off the field and that's why we are struggling to compete on the field.
This is what I find frustrating with the board. Whatever hopes they may have for the future, there doesn‘t seem to be a plan on how to get there. And we’re never innovative, always well behind the curve even on the simplest thing - it took years & years even just to send regular marketing emails to fans.
andgarod
solar panels
buying seasons
Robin
andgarod wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 13:20 solar panels
buying seasons
Solar panels are nice and all but give absolutely no tangible benefit to fans. Buying seasons is a big positive but there appears to be no plan in terms of how to use it to generate revenue.
horlickfanclub
Robin wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 14:07
buying seasons
Solar panels are nice and all but give absolutely no tangible benefit to fans. Buying seasons is a big positive but there appears to be no plan in terms of how to use it to generate revenue.
It saves paying money to a third party in rent. Solar panels give benefit to fans by long term savings which can be put in to playing or other budgets. These things have to be planned for and achieved which they have.
horlickfanclub
horlickfanclub wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 16:19
Robin wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 14:07
buying seasons
It saves paying money to a third party in rent. Solar panels give benefit to fans by long term savings which can be put in to playing or other budgets. These things have to be planned for and achieved which they have. Owning the ground is an asset that down the line will be a great benefit.