See you at Stevenage!

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Robin
Over 900 tickets sold as of this evening, going to be over a thousand of us there so I hope the team turn up.
Ihearye
over 1000 now. Broadway Brian's car must have filled up ;)
longmover
When was the last time CTFC took 1000+ to a league away game?
MrCTFC
Probably FGR, other than that it’s probably a decade ago. Don’t think we even took 1000 to the Torquay or Northampton play offs
longmover
MrCTFC wrote: 25 Apr 2024, 14:12 Probably FGR, other than that it’s probably a decade ago. Don’t think we even took 1000 to the Torquay or Northampton play offs
pretty sure 1000+ away weren't uncommon in the late 90's, or am I misty eyed on that?
Si Robin
MrCTFC wrote: 25 Apr 2024, 14:12 Probably FGR, other than that it’s probably a decade ago. Don’t think we even took 1000 to the Torquay or Northampton play offs
We've never officially taken 1,000 to FGR I believe.

We took 3,000 to Notts County in 2003 (stat courtesy of JP).
Warwickshire Robin
Si Robin wrote: 25 Apr 2024, 15:10

According to the report on the official website we took 1,200 to FGR in December 22, although that does seem a rather round number so could well be an estimate?
Broadway Brian
Ihearye wrote:over 1000 now. Broadway Brian's car must have filled up ;)
It’s creaking. 34 people in a mini - where’s Norris McWhirter when you need him.

UTMFR
CS85
Our fan base has grown a little over the last few seasons.
I believe we average just over 3700 home fans this season which is probably the highest for quite some time.
Good to see fans getting behind the club gor this game.
horlickfanclub
Nice to see so many positive minded fans . It puts the moaners in to context. Bottom four position or not people like to see battlers fighting hard.
Ihearye
Broadway Brian wrote: 25 Apr 2024, 15:32
Ihearye wrote:over 1000 now. Broadway Brian's car must have filled up ;)
It’s creaking. 34 people in a mini - where’s Norris McWhirter when you need him.

UTMFR
Will try and get hold of roy castle
Si Robin
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 25 Apr 2024, 15:26

According to the report on the official website we took 1,200 to FGR in December 22, although that does seem a rather round number so could well be an estimate?
JP reported the same - I completely forgot we played them last season :lol:
Warwickshire Robin
Si Robin wrote: 25 Apr 2024, 17:30
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 25 Apr 2024, 15:26

JP reported the same - I completely forgot we played them last season :lol:
It was a game I wish I had forgotten too!🤣
Jerry St Clair
712 at Derby is presumably our biggest away following this season?
paperboy
Earlier today Cambridge and Burton had apparently sold 1000 and 700 tickets for their respective matches.
Leckyfan
Over on Twitter…”X”…it’s been reported that no drum or inflatables will be permitted, due to the away end being sold out. I suspect that is a prediction (to include ‘on the day’ sales) rather than strictly true right now. Tickets still available for purchase online, as far as I can see.

Meanwhile, I’m getting slightly worried how much I will get to see. In that category of ‘not officially disabled, but would struggle to stand throughout’ (am sure I’m not the only one), so normally have to choose my seat carefully at away games to avoid being behind the determined “standers”.

Do we anticipate stewards will try to get everyone in their allocated seat number, even if not actually sitting, or will it be the usual free-for-all? Even then, it sounds like it might be difficult to bag a seat with a clear view in front.

Please be considerate, folks, of those who are less able to stand for an extended period.
Jerry St Clair
Great point Leckyfan.

There will be irregular away travellers tomorrow who may not realise the normal away etiquette of disregarding seat allocation. Could lead to some tension.

I can only suggest you get there in good time and bag a seat near the front. The away stand at Stevenage is elevated so even front seats have a good view.
Broadway Brian
Surely they’ll have to impose sticking to seat number. It’ll be chaos otherwise.
Haitch
Leckyfan wrote: 25 Apr 2024, 23:21 Over on Twitter…”X”…it’s been reported that no drum or inflatables will be permitted, due to the away end being sold out. I suspect that is a prediction (to include ‘on the day’ sales) rather than strictly true right now. Tickets still available for purchase online, as far as I can see.

Meanwhile, I’m getting slightly worried how much I will get to see. In that category of ‘not officially disabled, but would struggle to stand throughout’ (am sure I’m not the only one), so normally have to choose my seat carefully at away games to avoid being behind the determined “standers”.

Do we anticipate stewards will try to get everyone in their allocated seat number, even if not actually sitting, or will it be the usual free-for-all? Even then, it sounds like it might be difficult to bag a seat with a clear view in front.

Please be considerate, folks, of those who are less able to stand for an extended period.
Been to about 80% of the away games this season and if fingers crossed tomorrow everyone sticks to their usual ways if you sit anywhere in the first 5 or 6 rows everyone will be sat down, determined standers (myself include) at the back and that's how it should be. just watch out for stray beachballs.....
Herbie53
Broadway Brian wrote: 26 Apr 2024, 06:08 Surely they’ll have to impose sticking to seat number. It’ll be chaos otherwise.
I would've thought so too, they certainly did at Derby this season
Leckyfan
Broadway Brian wrote: 26 Apr 2024, 06:08 Surely they’ll have to impose sticking to seat number. It’ll be chaos otherwise.
I go to lots of away games, and can only recall one occasion (I think perhaps it was at Newport, about 3 or 4 years ago?) when ‘seat numbering’ was enforced. Otherwise, it’s normally “sit (or stand) wherever you like”. Regardless of what it says on your ticket.

EDIT: I didn’t make it to Derby this season, so no personal experience of what happened there.
Leckyfan
Jerry St Clair wrote: 26 Apr 2024, 05:29
—snip

I can only suggest you get there in good time and bag a seat near the front. The away stand at Stevenage is elevated so even front seats have a good view.
Good to know, thanks!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Leckyfan wrote: 26 Apr 2024, 06:56
I go to lots of away games, and can only recall one occasion (I think perhaps it was at Newport, about 3 or 4 years ago?) when ‘seat numbering’ was enforced. Otherwise, it’s normally “sit (or stand) wherever you like”. Regardless of what it says on your ticket.

EDIT: I didn’t make it to Derby this season, so no personal experience of what happened there.
Bristol Rovers unallocated seating last season was chaos. Really poorly managed.
Leckyfan
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 26 Apr 2024, 07:45
Bristol Rovers unallocated seating last season was chaos. Really poorly managed.
I remember that as the game where the (tiny) allocation of seats was sold out, and I had to stand on what can hardly be described as terracing. I vowed never to go to that ground again (as I did, for different reasons, to Newport).
Last edited by Leckyfan on 26 Apr 2024, 08:31, edited 1 time in total.
Warwickshire Robin
Interesting early Stevenage team news from SportsMole.co.uk:-

"The hosts have a lengthy list of absentees going into this match with the potential of up to eight players being absent due to injury and suspension.

Dan Butler served the first of a three-game ban against Oxford United after being dismissed for violent conduct in the loss to Burton a fortnight ago.

Elsewhere, Taye Ashby-Hammond, Luther James-Wildin, Alex MacDonald, Jake Forster-Caskey, Finley Burns and Harvey White are all expected to be unavailable through injury.

The visitors are also set to be without a number of their squad for this one.

Lewis Freestone returned from injury in the previous outing against Peterborough United but was forced off in the 86th minute, leaving him doubtful ahead of this match.

Tom Pett also made his return and is expected to retain his place in the middle of the park.

George Lloyd, Aidan Keena and Robert Street all remain as doubts, leaving Joe Nuttall and Matty Taylor, who scored a goal each in the 2-0 win last time out, expected to lead the line once again.

Stevenage possible starting lineup:
MacGillivray; Smith, Vancooten, Piergianni, Guinness-Walker; Freeman, L Thompson, B Thompson, Roberts; Reid, Hemmings

Cheltenham Town possible starting lineup:
Southwood; Long, Davies, Bradbury; Kinsella, Bonds, Pett, Sercombe, Ferry; Taylor, Nuttall"
Broadway Brian
Leckyfan wrote:

But that’s because we take such small followings in relation to the seats available. There’s little risk of people not being able to sit where they want.

If we’ve sold out, it’ll be a different kettle of fish. Guaranteed lots of people trying to find seats come kick-off. A family of four trying to get seats together when only single seats available.

It was like that at the Chelsea Papa Johns game last season.

And God forbid dinosaur man turns up from Wycombe last season. He takes up 2 seats by himself.
Fuller
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 26 Apr 2024, 08:28 Interesting early Stevenage team news from SportsMole.co.uk:-

"The hosts have a lengthy list of absentees going into this match with the potential of up to eight players being absent due to injury and suspension.

Dan Butler served the first of a three-game ban against Oxford United after being dismissed for violent conduct in the loss to Burton a fortnight ago.

Elsewhere, Taye Ashby-Hammond, Luther James-Wildin, Alex MacDonald, Jake Forster-Caskey, Finley Burns and Harvey White are all expected to be unavailable through injury.

Lewis Freestone returned from injury in the previous outing against Peterborough United but was forced off in the 86th minute, leaving him doubtful ahead of this match.

Tom Pett also made his return and is expected to retain his place in the middle of the park.

George Lloyd, Aidan Keena and Robert Street all remain as doubts, leaving Joe Nuttall and Matty Taylor, who scored a goal each in the 2-0 win last time out, expected to lead the line once again.

MacGillivray; Smith, Vancooten, Piergianni, Guinness-Walker; Freeman, L Thompson, B Thompson, Roberts; Reid, Hemmings

Southwood; Long, Davies, Bradbury; Kinsella, Bonds, Pett, Sercombe, Ferry; Taylor, Nuttall"
Street remains a doubt? Doubtful…..
What is his injury and why have there been no updates since he got injured? Which game did he go off in?
Reid and Hemmings up front will be real handful for our defence.
RaymondDuck
Hello, public service broadcast from my Boro supporting but Cheltenham residing pal:

"I would recommend going up the A46 to Coventry then taking the A45 / M45 to join the M1 to Luton and then let the sat nav guide you the remaining 8 miles"

Sounds left-field to me (and NB he is travelling from Cleeve) but this is the experience of that journey a lot of times in 20 years...

Ends
asl
From Cricklade, I'm planning M4/M25/A1(M). 2 hours, according to Google Maps. Planning to set off early for car parking and grab an early lunch on the estate before the match.
Si Robin
Fuller wrote: 26 Apr 2024, 09:37
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 26 Apr 2024, 08:28 Interesting early Stevenage team news from SportsMole.co.uk:-

Street remains a doubt? Doubtful…..
What is his injury and why have there been no updates since he got injured? Which game did he go off in?
Reid and Hemmings up front will be real handful for our defence.
Street has a knee injury (that's the most detail I've seen) but he tweeted himself in February that he'd be out for the season.

Last I heard, and I can't remember where, he's not expected back in any form of training until pre-season.
Ihearye
RaymondDuck wrote: 26 Apr 2024, 10:05 Hello, public service broadcast from my Boro supporting but Cheltenham residing pal:

"I would recommend going up the A46 to Coventry then taking the A45 / M45 to join the M1 to Luton and then let the sat nav guide you the remaining 8 miles"

Sounds left-field to me (and NB he is travelling from Cleeve) but this is the experience of that journey a lot of times in 20 years...

Ends
I can kind of see the logic in it as the roads up to the A45 are not too bad and a fair smattering of dual carriage way to get to that point. With it taking approx 1 hour to get to the a45. A multitude of options all taking roughly the same time 😀
Jerry St Clair
Leckyfan wrote: 26 Apr 2024, 06:56 EDIT: I didn’t make it to Derby this season, so no personal experience of what happened there.
Derby was slightly different because there was a choice - seats or standing. Stewards were strict at the entrance to ensure people with seated tickets didn't go in the standing area and vice versa, but once in the safe standing area it was a free for all.

I take the point made here that with a sold out stand it will be chaos if allocations are not enforced. I just hope the tickets I have are near the back so we can stand.
Jerry St Clair
RaymondDuck wrote: 26 Apr 2024, 10:05 Hello, public service broadcast from my Boro supporting but Cheltenham residing pal:

Ends
Depends which side of town you're on. From Bishops Cleeve/Prestbury side Google maps gives the A46 as an option and that does make more sense than crossing town to get to the A40.

We're in Leckhampton and Google maps is only suggesting A40 or A419/M4 for us.
Ihearye
Jerry St Clair wrote: 26 Apr 2024, 10:38

Ends
Depends which side of town you're on. From Bishops Cleeve/Prestbury side Google maps gives the A46 as an option and that does make more sense than crossing town to get to the A40.

We're in Leckhampton and Google maps is only suggesting A40 or A419/M4 for us.
I think popping down to the bottom of Hales road to get to A40 is not a crossing town journey
Broadway Brian
Whichever way you go, get your scarf out of the window. That never happens any more.

Used to take such pride in showing my colours as a nipper and spotting all the other scarves on the motorway.

UTMFR