Stevenage v Cheltenham Town

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jerry St Clair
A game that summed up our season. Lots of huff, puff and endeavour. Some bright moments, but ultimately powder puff in front of goal and prone to conceding at the back.

Proud as punch to be in that away end though. When the chips are down our fans are a great bunch.
Shade
Fuller wrote: 27 Apr 2024, 14:21
Shade wrote: 27 Apr 2024, 13:33 God damn hope. We were down weeks ago but at least we have gone out with some pride. Here's to the 2024/25 season. I'll take survival right now, but hopefully we can keep DC and have a go at the play-offs, or better.
Think we’ll have a few years of consolidation in League Two, a bit like after relegation in 2003 and 2009, and building a side that can have a go at the play offs with a “challenging” budget.
Not sure if DC will stay and if he goes whoever comes in will have a tricky job on their hands.
We’ll just have to trust the board to make the right decisions, not a lot us fans can do but just keep supporting the club. I’ll be there in August.
Realistically, yes, but one never knows. There will be a lot of players leaving and a lot of the budget freed up for DC/new manager and Russ to play with.
Ben3
Ah, well that is what it is.

Well done lads. Well done.

Sad journey home but proud we took it this far
Shade
Just seen Charlton apparently now owe us £400k for May as he's finished top scorer, so that'll help if it's true. The figure comes from a Charlton fan.
Fuller
I knew we got extra dosh if Alfie was top scorer in league one but thought it would be something like five grand…..
CTFCfan99
Jerry St Clair wrote: 27 Apr 2024, 14:32 A game that summed up our season. Lots of huff, puff and endeavour. Some bright moments, but ultimately powder puff in front of goal and prone to conceding at the back.

Proud as punch to be in that away end though. When the chips are down our fans are a great bunch.
Best away end I've ever experienced. Everyone on their feet, never stopped signing and the lads really responded.
asl
Just home, almost exactly 2 hours from the car park. Gutted - especially given the Burton result. A few observations:

1. I think that's twice now Thomas has been booked for 'simulation' since joining us? From what I saw, both were deserved. He needs to cut that out of his game and do the things he's good at (and he has the potential to be very, very, good at those).

2. Today's result didn't relegate us and nor, tbf, did the first eleven games of the season. Too many missed opportunities throughout the season were the cause of our demise. The fact that we were still in with a chance of staying up on the last day of the season is frankly remarkable.

3. Pardington let down nobody. Obviously, I don't know much about the second goal - but he made one good save before that. Almost certain that was Southwood's last game for us, whatever the result. I didn't see him at the end - had he gone to hospital?

4. Curtis Davis, at the end, looked to me like a man who had already decided to retire.

5. The ref wasn't bad. Tried to let the game flow.

6. At 1-1, Taylor missed a sitter with an unmarked header, their keeper made a brilliant save with his feet and they headed one off the line. If only...
Broadway Brian
asl wrote:Just home, almost exactly 2 hours from the car park. Gutted - especially given the Burton result. A few observations:

1. I think that's twice now Thomas has been booked for 'simulation' since joining us? From what I saw, both were deserved. He needs to cut that out of his game and do the things he's good at (and he has the potential to be very, very, good at those).

2. Today's result didn't relegate us and nor, tbf, did the first eleven games of the season. Too many missed opportunities throughout the season were the cause of our demise. The fact that we were still in with a chance of staying up on the last day of the season is frankly remarkable.

3. Pardington let down nobody. Obviously, I don't know much about the second goal - but he made one good save before that. Almost certain that was Southwood's last game for us, whatever the result. I didn't see him at the end - had he gone to hospital?

4. Curtis Davis, at the end, looked to me like a man who had already decided to retire.

6. At 1-1, Taylor missed a sitter with an unmarked header, their keeper made a brilliant save with his feet and they headed one off the line. If only...
I know it’s your thing to pull people up for blaming the ref, but he was poor today. We didn’t lose because of him but he absolutely did not try to let play flow. He blew for every minor infringement - exactly what we didn’t need when one team is battling and the other is in coasting mode. Really disrupted the flow of the play.
Herbie53
Shame about the result, but what a great atmosphere in the away end
asl
Funny how we see things differently! Yes, I do think referees get a ridiculous amount of stick for doing a job almost nobody on this board could do - so I try to add some balance.
Broadway Brian
asl wrote:Funny how we see things differently! Yes, I do think referees get a ridiculous amount of stick for doing a job almost nobody on this board could do - so I try to add some balance.
No problem with that. I agree with you. Just found that bugger really infuriating today. Haven’t seen the penalty so don’t know how soft or not it was.

There didn’t seem to be much complaint from the players.

So close yet so far…

So many darts players there today!!
HamTown
Was pleasantly surprised with Pardington in the most high pressure game of the season. Kicking was good, made a couple of decent saves, nearly saved the penalty. Thought their second was an own goal although need to see it again so not a lot he could do

Should he be considered for no.1 next season or too far based on one game?
RobinHood
When you go down by such a narrow margin it’s easy to look at certain games or moments, but really that Carlisle home game stands out as a massive missed opportunity.

What a time to put out an absolutely 0/10 performance, when they had the chance to move out of the relegation zone.

Saying that though I never thought we’d be in with a shout after the first 10 games. Was fearing it would be a Derby County 07/08 level of season.
Jon Palmer
Shade wrote: 27 Apr 2024, 14:52 Just seen Charlton apparently now owe us £400k for May as he's finished top scorer, so that'll help if it's true. The figure comes from a Charlton fan.
Um, no!!
Herbie53
HamTown wrote: 27 Apr 2024, 17:59 Was pleasantly surprised with Pardington in the most high pressure game of the season. Kicking was good, made a couple of decent saves, nearly saved the penalty. Thought their second was an own goal although need to see it again so not a lot he could do

Should he be considered for no.1 next season or too far based on one game?
I think he's only had two starts at league 2, I don't think we could've asked any more of him coming on in such a high pressure game. Glad we all got behind him particularly since he got a fair wedge of the ridiculously boring and predictable "ooooooo you're s#!t aaaahh" chant.
I hate that bloody chant whomever is dishing it up
Si Robin
asl wrote: 27 Apr 2024, 16:24 Just home, almost exactly 2 hours from the car park. Gutted - especially given the Burton result. A few observations:

I agree with all of this apart from the ref trying to let the game flow. I don't think he did, but I also don't think he had a poor performance. Everything he gave I pretty much agreed with, including the penalty.

The players gave everything, unfortunately it wasn't quite enough, but they can hold their heads high. I hope Luke's injury isn't too bad for his sake.
Jerry St Clair
Seconded on Jamie Pardington.

We got in earlier than usual today and watched him and Southwood warming up, I commented that it must be fairly disheartening going through a really diligent pre-match preparation week after week just to sit on your arse for two hours.

How wrong I was today. What a humdinger of a match to come in to. And how Pards proved how vital that prep is. Thought he was excellent: Decisive, commanding, vocal. Very promising.
Leckyfan
Thirded on Jamie Pardington. Did very well, in difficult circumstances.

Good to hear the fans encouraging him, singing his name at key moments.

BTW, someone needs to update his Wikipedia page. Currently shows him still on loan at Truro City. More to write about now!
Fuller
Thought Pardington did remarkably well seeing he’s only played a handful of senior games in his career.
Noted that his contract runs out this summer, as does Southwood, and Max Harris too I believe.
If DC moves on, good luck to whoever sorting out the No. 1 for starters.
Si Robin
Max Harris has another year.
Leckyfan
Have just seen how close Pardington came to saving that penalty. Oh, what might have been…

https://x.com/_jec/status/1784306923455 ... xLmqk6RNvA
CTFCfan99
Not sure if this has already been posted anywhere, but video of our goal from the Stevenage side here:

https://twitter.com/SimonHill92/status/ ... 79602?s=19

Great limbs. Credit to everyone there, fans and players to a man gave as much as they possibly could.
Shade
Haven't seen it back again but their second deflected off someone and past Pardington. Possibly Long. Not an OG though as the shot was on target.
Shade
Jon Palmer wrote: 27 Apr 2024, 18:47
Shade wrote: 27 Apr 2024, 14:52 Just seen Charlton apparently now owe us £400k for May as he's finished top scorer, so that'll help if it's true. The figure comes from a Charlton fan.
Um, no!!
A cockney full of bullshit?! Surely not... :P
Malabus
20k…spare change for a club Charlton’s size
Warwickshire Robin
Just a small thing but 'hats off' to the Stevenage no 14 Kane Smith who stood and applauded us Cheltenham fans after the final whistle yesterday. Class act, much appreciated (by me anyway).
asl
Yes, I noticed a few Stevenage players turn to acknowledge us at the end.
Alf
No doubt in my mind that if we’d managed to have kept Alfie we’d still be in League One!
Si Robin
asl wrote:Yes, I noticed a few Stevenage players turn to acknowledge us at the end.
Unlike the bellend Sweeney shushing us when they scored the penalty.

I have no issue with players giving it back to fans who have been getting on their back, but there was none of that yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Robin
Si Robin wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 08:37
asl wrote:Yes, I noticed a few Stevenage players turn to acknowledge us at the end.

I have no issue with players giving it back to fans who have been getting on their back, but there was none of that yesterday.

What a twat to do that, totally unprovoked and no idea who he is or even if he has ever played against us before.
Fuller
Robin wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 08:42
Si Robin wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 08:37

What a twat to do that, totally unprovoked and no idea who he is or even if he has ever played against us before.
Dan Sweeney. Ex FGR. Played for them 2020-22. So probably in our title winning season 2020/21.
Ihearye
Fuller wrote: 27 Apr 2024, 19:52 Thought Pardington did remarkably well seeing he’s only played a handful of senior games in his career.
Noted that his contract runs out this summer, as does Southwood, and Max Harris too I believe.
If DC moves on, good luck to whoever sorting out the No. 1 for starters.
Larne who he came from has just won the Irish League, so he had a good base to build on