Rumour season opens

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Benny Profane
Of course! But it is one position we seem to (mainly) get right on a consistent basis.
Fuller
Benny Profane wrote: 01 May 2024, 18:07 Haven't we a decent record with loanee centre halves? Off the top of my head Michael Hector , Rob Dickie, Cameron Burgess, Jamie Pollocks lad, Greaves. One of a similar quality would be nice in League 2.
Not forgetting other central defenders we had on loan who went on to have good careers after spells with us:-
Connor Goldson - Glasgow Rangers
Taylor Moore - Bristol City
Ryan Inniss - Crystal Palace
Michael Iheikwe - Sheffield Wednesday
Joe Rodon - Spurs/Leeds
Anyone else?
paperboy
Fuller wrote: 01 May 2024, 20:06
Benny Profane wrote: 01 May 2024, 18:07 Haven't we a decent record with loanee centre halves? Off the top of my head Michael Hector , Rob Dickie, Cameron Burgess, Jamie Pollocks lad, Greaves. One of a similar quality would be nice in League 2.
Not forgetting other central defenders we had on loan who went on to have good careers after spells with us:-
Joe Rodon - Spurs/Leeds
Anyone else?
Let's not forget Owen Bevan who was terrific until he got his injury and everyone since has been a downgrade.
He doesn't quite fit your criteria yet although he seems nailed on to have a good career.
Robin
Fuller wrote: 01 May 2024, 20:06
Joe Rodon - Spurs/Leeds
Anyone else?
Innis is a stretch he just got relegated with FGR. Taylor-Moore got released by Shrews didn't he?
Artemis
Taylor Moore went from on to have further loan spells with Blackpool, Heats and Shrewsbury, as well as a few more games with Bristol City.
He's currently playing at the bottom end of the French Ligue 2.

Hardly glittering progression.

Cameron Pring on the other hand seems a regular in Bristol City's team.
Robin
Artemis wrote: 01 May 2024, 21:14 Taylor Moore went from on to have further loan spells with Blackpool, Heats and Shrewsbury, as well as a few more games with Bristol City.
He's currently playing at the bottom end of the French Ligue 2.

Hardly glittering progression.

Cameron Pring on the other hand seems a regular in Bristol City's team.
How much did we sell Pring for?
paperboy
1st of May and silly (ish) season is revving up.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/gilli ... promotion/
shevates
The season is still on going, players are still under contract till June 30th. Any dealings will be going on at a hush hush level, plus the uncertainty of who would be our manager is another factor why potential signings haven't been mentioned. If I'm honest only one signing im interested in, is the contract extension of DC so he can go about bringing his own players to this club.
As for MM returning, I take it or leave it, brought some good players to the club especially loanees, but he brought in some dross here especially strikers.
As for llyod maybe moving on, certainly won't miss his goal contribution or assists, work rate yes. Interesting 2months ahead
Fuller
JP tweeting that Cheltenham Town's lead physical performance coach Sammy Gilchrist is set to depart for role in a Championship club's academy.
Hope it’s not the start of another revolving door this summer…..
Jerry St Clair
Matty Carson released by Reading

With Williams gone and Ferry likely going, he might be a good shout. An attacking left back and excellent set piece taker who naturally plays in a 5. He might get another L1 club, but more likely to drop to L2. Worth a look imho.

And you can never have enough Mattys in your team…..
Warwickshire Robin
longmover
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 08 May 2024, 13:49 More backroom changes afoot?

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer ... 23659.html
genuine question, is there money in the Irish Leagues?
Wellwisher
longmover wrote: 08 May 2024, 14:40

With the exception of a bare handful of clubs (the biggest, and/or a generous benefactor), the answer is a resounding "No".

While they have won trophies, Pats have never been a really "big" club, by Dublin standards at least. And while they have a wealthy owner, he doesn't appear to be pumping big money into them, club or team:
https://www.stpatsfc.com/company_info/2 ... 578568.pdf
(I'm no accountant, but those don't look like big figures to me).

Anyhow, I'd guess that they're not as "big" as Cheltenham, say, and certainly not League One clubs, or even many (most?) League Two clubs. While their ground, like nearly all League of Ireland grounds (i.e. Irish Republic), is c!#p - makes Whaddon look like the Bernabeu (ok, exagerration, but still).

I wonder whether Bara wasn't taken on by CTFC on the basis that if you stayed up, he'd be taken on permanently, but if not, then his position/salary would be under review?

In which case he or his agent will probably have been punting him round possible alternatives, incl the Republic, where he was successful previously with Sligo Rovers FC.
Ihearye

Doesn't have to be much to pay at bit more than CTFC
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Wellwisher wrote: 08 May 2024, 15:06

With the exception of a bare handful of clubs (the biggest, and/or a generous benefactor), the answer is a resounding "No".

While they have won trophies, Pats have never been a really "big" club, by Dublin standards at least. And while they have a wealthy owner, he doesn't appear to be pumping big money into them, club or team:
https://www.stpatsfc.com/company_info/2 ... 578568.pdf
(I'm no accountant, but those don't look like big figures to me).

Anyhow, I'd guess that they're not as "big" as Cheltenham, say, and certainly not League One clubs, or even many (most?) League Two clubs. While their ground, like nearly all League of Ireland grounds (i.e. Irish Republic), is c!#p - makes Whaddon look like the Bernabeu (ok, exagerration, but still).

I wonder whether Bara wasn't taken on by CTFC on the basis that if you stayed up, he'd be taken on permanently, but if not, then his position/salary would be under review?

In which case he or his agent will probably have been punting him round possible alternatives, incl the Republic, where he was successful previously with Sligo Rovers FC.
How much prize money do they get for early qualifying rounds of European competition?
Warwickshire Robin
Ihearye wrote: 08 May 2024, 15:07

Short answer is none!

The FAI are pretty much skint, still recovering from the disasterous John Delaney regime which all but bankrupted them and the failed Aviva Stadium debenture scheme. I think I saw the total prize money for the LoI this season was about €750k and the average salary for a LOI player is €22k per year. Shamrock Rovers, probably the biggest club in the LoI survive on average home crowds of around 8,000.

Damien Duff who is currently manager of Shelbourne seems to be waging a one man crusade to get more money into Irish football but it is a thankless task
Wellwisher
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 08 May 2024, 18:02
Ihearye wrote: 08 May 2024, 15:07

Short answer is none!

The FAI are pretty much skint, still recovering from the disasterous John Delaney regime which all but bankrupted them and the failed Aviva Stadium debenture scheme. I think I saw the total prize money for the LoI this season was about €750k and the average salary for a LOI player is €22k per year. Shamrock Rovers, probably the biggest club in the LoI survive on average home crowds of around 8,000.

Damien Duff who is currently manager of Shelbourne seems to be waging a one man crusade to get more money into Irish football but it is a thankless task
The FAI aren't just "skint", they're heavily in debt (€30m? More?), and relying on handouts just to keep the lights on.

Meanwhile, Shams are definitely the biggest club these days, whose crowds (currently 6.4k) are nearly half as big again as the next highest (Pats at 4.6k). Several clubs cannot accommodate more due to capacity limitations.

But despite that, and having some VERY wealthy owners, Shams still aren't paying their way:

"Shamrock Rovers’ accounts for 2023 show a loss of almost €2.4 million despite record crowds at [their Council built/owned/operated] Tallaght Stadium and €800,000 in Uefa prize money.
Derry and Sligo Rovers also recently published last year’s accounts, and the bottom lines are educational and interesting in equal measure.
[Derry] were also helped by £800,000 from their European adventures and a £182,000 bump in season ticket sales, but it is the £2 million (€2.3 million) in 'donations and other contributions' that allows them to maintain a wage bill of €2.1 million.
Local billionaire Philip O’Doherty is the Derry City chairman.
In comparison, the fan-owned Sligo can only afford to pay players a total of €1.3 million.
As [Bohemians], another fan-owned club discovered last year and [Shelbourne] may realise in 2024, it is [Shams'] ability to replace star turns with younger players of similar ability that keeps them clear of the rest."

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer ... on-losses/
Horteng
Baraclough has been in place as assistant manager with Cheltenham Town, relegated to League Two, since January so some compensation would have to be paid if he leaves that role but that’s not a major stumbling block.

They know it will be about £150 compensation :lol:
Fuller
Horteng wrote: 09 May 2024, 06:43 Baraclough has been in place as assistant manager with Cheltenham Town, relegated to League Two, since January so some compensation would have to be paid if he leaves that role but that’s not a major stumbling block.

They know it will be about £150 compensation :lol:
Thought he only signed a contract until the end of the season just finished?
triggo
Rob Dickie did OK
QPR wasnt it ?
CS85
Yes dickie has done pretty well,currently at Bristol city,41 appearances for them the season just gone.
Uppy
Kabongo Tshimanga transfer listed by Peterborough. 26 year old forward who has scored a lot of goals in non-league.
plymrob
More recently... Jacob Greaves?
horlickfanclub
Uppy wrote: 13 May 2024, 14:42 Kabongo Tshimanga transfer listed by Peterborough. 26 year old forward who has scored a lot of goals in non-league.
Good spot Uppy.