Retained list

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Shade
One and done for Pardington then. Shame.

Can't exactly say I'm shocked about any of the released players, but I would have thought one or two would do a job in League 2.

We already know Southwood is off, the rumours about Lloyd going, and we all seem to expect that Ferry will find a L1 club. So, if Sercs and Long sign again, and not including the academy players offered pro deals, I make it that we have 1 GK, 3 CB's, no full backs, 4 CM's, 1 winger and 4 CF's. 13 players. That's a lot of recruitment to be done, especially as of that 13, at least 2 will probably hardly get a kick (King and Harris).
Last edited by Shade on 30 Apr 2024, 16:40, edited 5 times in total.
Robin
No surprises there with that list although I did wonder whether Pardington may have been retained but suspect we can't have three keepers with our budget in league two. It will be very interesting if Ferry signs a new deal or not.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote: 30 Apr 2024, 16:14 One and done for Pardington then. Shame.

Can't exactly say I'm shocked about any of the released players, but I would have thought one or two would do a job in League 2.

We already know Southwood is off, the rumours about Lloyd going, and we all seem to expect that Ferry will find a L1 club. So, if Sercs and Long sign again, and not including the academy players offered pro deals, I make it that we have 1 GK, 2 CB's, no full backs, 4 CM's, 1 winger and 4 CF's. 12 players. That's a lot of recruitment to be done, especially as of that 12, at least 2 will probably hardly get a kick (King and Harris).
If Long signs we have one full back, and 13 players. The article says we have eleven contracted plus offers to Long and Sercombe.
Shade
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 30 Apr 2024, 16:34
Shade wrote: 30 Apr 2024, 16:14 One and done for Pardington then. Shame.

We already know Southwood is off, the rumours about Lloyd going, and we all seem to expect that Ferry will find a L1 club. So, if Sercs and Long sign again, and not including the academy players offered pro deals, I make it that we have 1 GK, 2 CB's, no full backs, 4 CM's, 1 winger and 4 CF's. 12 players. That's a lot of recruitment to be done, especially as of that 12, at least 2 will probably hardly get a kick (King and Harris).
If Long signs we have one full back.
I think he's shown last season that he isn't good enough, in an attacking sense, to play right wing-back anymore. Far too many times he gets down the right and can't produce anything near a decent cross. I feel like DC was playing him there out of necessity after sending all the loan right backs away. But then, I suppose he might be ok in League 2. If he plays a back 4 with a winger ahead of him then it would suit him better.
Last edited by Shade on 30 Apr 2024, 16:38, edited 1 time in total.
andgarod
Shade assume you missed Long as RWB or RB or CB if he signs

Matt Smith is available on a free but we already have 4 CF but how many can score

Do we assume that DC is staying then
And what about the DofF
Shade
andgarod wrote: 30 Apr 2024, 16:37 Shade assume you missed Long as RWB or RB or CB if he signs

Matt Smith is available on a free but we already have 4 CF but how many can score

Do we assume that DC is staying then
And what about the DofF
No, I initially missed Freestone out. Have added him now.
andgarod
Southwood Lloyd and Ferry offered new contracts

Ferry if he goes to another English club there would be compo
Lloyd apparently has lots of options
Southwood may have something lined up but does anyone want to sign a keeper with a broken leg
HamTown
Shade wrote: 30 Apr 2024, 16:14 ......That's a lot of recruitment to be done, especially as of that 13, at least 2 will probably hardly get a kick (King and Harris).
At least most of those contracted are first team and more than capable for L2 (I hope). Just 2 WBs and 1 GK and we'll be well on our way.
paperboy
andgarod wrote: 30 Apr 2024, 16:47 Southwood Lloyd and Ferry offered new contracts

Ferry if he goes to another English club there would be compo
Lloyd apparently has lots of options
Southwood may have something lined up but does anyone want to sign a keeper with a broken leg
One suspects Luke S has been offered a new contract firstly out of hope rather than expectation, but also it would be seen as churlish to dump a player who has just had a serious injury.
Seeing that Max H is contracted for next season it would be risky to keep Pardingdon and have two keepers with barely any EFL experience.
Good to see that we could have a strong midfield even without Sercs who's bound to have a few offers.

The list doesn't suggest we have made any contracted players available for transfer and their could also be a couple who ask for one I suppose.
A few developments both good and disappointing over the summer as per usual to look forward too...or not. 😀
Shade
HamTown wrote: 30 Apr 2024, 16:55
Shade wrote: 30 Apr 2024, 16:14 ......That's a lot of recruitment to be done, especially as of that 13, at least 2 will probably hardly get a kick (King and Harris).
At least most of those contracted are first team and more than capable for L2 (I hope). Just 2 WBs and 1 GK and we'll be well on our way.
Think we will need another decent forward and one or two attacking midfielders/wingers as well, tbh. The creativity in midfield is next to zero. Thomas, his first full season as a pro, and Sercs, if he signs, are the only ones that you'd be confident will get the ball forward and get several assists and goals.
Si Robin
I find the offering of Luke Southwood a new contract odd when he's already said he's going on Twitter. If he'd already rejected it, it would say he's been offered and turned it down (I'm sure we said that with Ryan Jackson last season).

I question whether his offers elsewhere may have dried up following his leg break and we've offered him a deal on the premise that if he signs it we'll deal with his recovery and recuperation, and he gives us 6 months (potentially) at the back end of next season until the summer.

That is likely wishful thinking on my part though.

As for the rest, Sloggett surprises me a little. I thought he would be useful in League 2 and cheap as well. My son is devastated that Olayinka hasn't done enough to earn a new deal (I did warn him). No-one else going is a surprise. Wish them all the best wherever they end up.
shevates
Going back to Saturday I thought Pardington had a great game, the pressure he was under was immense, he dominated his box so it appeared from our end and made 3 or 4 excellent saves.
A major factor in our relegation was our lack of scoring goals, and we offer a new deal to llyod who scored 2 goals both in the same game and who has scored 8 goals in 6 seasons in 112 games. His work rate is tremendous. I'd be happy to have him as a right-sided midfielder, but hes taking up a much needed strikers position. He must have something I can't see, as he's got offers and a lot do like him. He just dosnt fit his job description in my eyes
HamTown
Shade wrote: 30 Apr 2024, 17:13
HamTown wrote: 30 Apr 2024, 16:55
Think we will need another decent forward and one or two attacking midfielders/wingers as well, tbh. The creativity in midfield is next to zero. Thomas, his first full season as a pro, and Sercs, if he signs, are the only ones that you'd be confident will get the ball forward and get several assists and goals.
For sure, but it's a solid base to work from.

I'm not convinced Sercs will have that many options, he'll be 35 next season and lives relatively locally so what's the sense in moving on?
Artemis
Kinsella, Bonds and Pett (plus the Sercombecisor, if he signs) is some midfield. It's arguably mid table L1 quality.
Broadway Brian
Artemis wrote:Kinsella, Bonds and Pett (plus the Sercombecisor, if he signs) is some midfield. It's arguably mid table L1 quality.
That’s the first time I’ve laughed since Saturday. Very good.
PCrobin
Only slight surprise for me is we haven’t offered Williams a new deal if we’re all convinced that Ferry is leaving? I’m sure Williams could be a more than decent League 2 LB..
HamTown
PCrobin wrote: 01 May 2024, 13:34 Only slight surprise for me is we haven’t offered Williams a new deal if we’re all convinced that Ferry is leaving? I’m sure Williams could be a more than decent League 2 LB..
Me too. I wonder if he signed on a first team L1 wage that we won't match in L2
Horteng
Is DC staying?????
Horteng
shevates wrote: 30 Apr 2024, 17:39 Going back to Saturday I thought Pardington had a great game, the pressure he was under was immense, he dominated his box so it appeared from our end and made 3 or 4 excellent saves.
A major factor in our relegation was our lack of scoring goals, and we offer a new deal to llyod who scored 2 goals both in the same game and who has scored 8 goals in 6 seasons in 112 games. His work rate is tremendous. I'd be happy to have him as a right-sided midfielder, but hes taking up a much needed strikers position. He must have something I can't see, as he's got offers and a lot do like him. He just dosnt fit his job description in my eyes
Agree re Lloyd. The club have persevered and persevered with very little return. Time to move on.....
Jerry St Clair
The counter argument with Lloyd is that he scored 5 goals in 20 games for Grimsby in L2. That would equate to 11 or 12 goals over a season. Not a goal machine, but not bad either.

So, perhaps that’s his level.

And it’s all very likely a moot point because it seems almost certain he’s going anyway.
Ihearye
Jerry St Clair wrote: 02 May 2024, 09:00 The counter argument with Lloyd is that he scored 5 goals in 20 games for Grimsby in L2. That would equate to 11 or 12 goals over a season. Not a goal machine, but not bad either.

And it’s all very likely a moot point because it seems almost certain he’s going anyway.
Was watching a match back in Belfast and there was a decent midfielder playing for Linfield who is scoring in double figures (Kyle McClean). He did stand out and all I could hear in my head was RCS saying he would be Nat League South level. But worth a look
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote: 03 May 2024, 20:13
Jerry St Clair wrote: 02 May 2024, 09:00 The counter argument with Lloyd is that he scored 5 goals in 20 games for Grimsby in L2. That would equate to 11 or 12 goals over a season. Not a goal machine, but not bad either.

Was watching a match back in Belfast and there was a decent midfielder playing for Linfield who is scoring in double figures (Kyle McClean). He did stand out and all I could hear in my head was RCS saying he would be Nat League South level. But worth a look
I have never criticised the League of Ireland or the Northern Ireland Football League. Plenty of good players have come over and done very well in the EFL and Premier League.

I don’t see a reason why the BBC and others don’t give Northern Irish (or Welsh) football the same coverage as Scottish football.
Alf
Looks like Ben Tozer is being shown the door at Wrexham at the end of this season. Any possibility that he might come back to the Robins? We could do with someone who can take a decent long throw in.
asl
Bit like having a cricketer on the team who can't bat and can't bowl but is excellent fielding at midwicket... In any case, I'd heard from a Wrexham fan that they are expecting him to retire.
Ihearye
Alf wrote: 04 May 2024, 08:39 Looks like Ben Tozer is being shown the door at Wrexham at the end of this season. Any possibility that he might come back to the Robins? We could do with someone who can take a decent long throw in.
No thanks
Ihearye
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 03 May 2024, 20:30
Ihearye wrote: 03 May 2024, 20:13

I have never criticised the League of Ireland or the Northern Ireland Football League. Plenty of good players have come over and done very well in the EFL and Premier League.

I don’t see a reason why the BBC and others don’t give Northern Irish (or Welsh) football the same coverage as Scottish football.
That's good news then in that case we can mount a joint effort to sign him 😀👍
Alf
Ihearye wrote: 04 May 2024, 09:43
Alf wrote: 04 May 2024, 08:39 Looks like Ben Tozer is being shown the door at Wrexham at the end of this season. Any possibility that he might come back to the Robins? We could do with someone who can take a decent long throw in.
No thanks
That was supposed to be tongue in cheek!
Ihearye
Alf wrote: 04 May 2024, 20:01
Ihearye wrote: 04 May 2024, 09:43
No thanks
That was supposed to be tongue in cheek!
Noted