Ben Tozer rumour

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Fuller
Wrexham preparing a six figure bid for our captain.
3 year deal and big wages apparently.
Just a rumour?
HamTown
Strange rumour
Red Duke
First time for ages where there is transfer speculation over one of our players involving 6 figures.
Robin
Red Duke wrote:First time for ages where there is transfer speculation over one of our players involving 6 figures.
Same for Boyle this summer linked with Sheff Wednesday and Preston. I'd be disappointed if we sell Tozer though, we do not have any replacement like we do for Boyle.
andgarod
basrd on yesterday they will knock a zero off the end
Robin
andgarod wrote:basrd on yesterday they will knock a zero off the end
Maybe his mind was on Wrexham a bit like Duff at Notts County when we rejected the offer from Stoke all those years ago.
Benctfc
As always a lot will depend on the player. There is no point standing in his way if he desperately wants to leave.

What I would say if he is happy here there is no way we should be letting him leave unless Wrexham put in a crazy offer something like 400k or over. If we are serious of staying in league 1 we need to keep key players and he is one. There is no way we will get a suitable replacement this late in the window and I have my doubts as to whether the board would give the funds to Duff to do it. When we have sold players in the past not much of that seems to be put back into the playing budget. If we accept anything under 200k the board have lost the plot in my opinion as that kind of money doesn't go very far in league 1.
Fuller
JP tweeted there is truth in the rumour.

Anyone else in the squad who can take long throws?
Jon Palmer
Definitely truth in it, they want him so will come down to agreeing a fee/what Tozer wants to do: https://bit.ly/TozerChased" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hubert Parry
Yes, Sean Long.

We can't be too reliant on one player and I'm sure Duffo has planned for the eventuality that he leaves or is injured for an extended period of time.
Fuller
Ben Tozer is our captain, player of the year, talisman, long throw provided of many of our goals.
Just look at his performance v Man City.
How we gonna replace a player like that?
We’ve had enough trouble getting just one new forward (now injured) through the door.
No wonder Duffo sounded so pi@@ed off after the game yesterday if he’d had wind of this situation too.
paperboy
Guessing that this wouldn't have come out if Wrexham knew that he wouldn't be at all interested.

Based in Daventry with a young family.
90 minutes from Cheltenham
130 minutes from Wrexham
Tough call.

Good news for Ben as there's a good chance we'll offer him a contract extension if he decides to stay put or the club tells Wrexham to go away.
Strange how things change as a couple of years ago we offered him a train ticket to Solihull Moors.

No idea how this will play out.

I hadn't realised that there is supposed to be a salary cap next season in the National League which is apparently why a handful of the big hitters are spending crazy money.
ctfc-fan
Sorry but if he goes to Wrexham, money or not, it says something for his ambition, dropping down two leagues with no guarantee of league one football again, especially at his age.
Fuller
Money talks. Look at Phil Mullen.
I reckon Ben will be gone and Duffo will go 4-4-2.
I hope I’m wrong ....
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
If Tozer wants to go to non-league for money then so be it…I cannot imagine he is that sort.
Robin
Realistically we need to offer him a new deal on improved terms do that and we have a chance of keeping him but it's possible his heads been turned already.
Horteng
Tozer's assists may well keep us up this season. Is that worth £400K? Probably! Personally I wouldn't entertain selling unless its big, big money. Same goes for Boyle (Boyle is more valuable IMO)
Ben version 4:0
Like everyone else, I'd obviously hate to lose him. His leadership and throws make such a difference.

Is he a League one quality centre half? Time will tell...I'd suggest not. So would three goals direct from corners in the past three games.

Raglan, boyle and long (or freestone) would do the job, but we'd miss the throws massively.

Depends on the figures involved. If we could use the money to get a very good league one striker in (Eisa?) who'd score 15-20 goals, then I'd go for it.

But as others have said, it's down to him. If he wants to go then good luck to him, wrexham should climb through the leagues easily enough...but I'm sure I've heard that before somewhere near stroud..... :lol:
Ralph
Why are we talking silly money like 400k? With the options he gives us its 750k min. I don't him to leave. We are meant to be building into a L1 team
Robin
Ipswich just paid Accrington a rumoured £750,000 for Cameron Burgess as a benchmark. I just have the horrible feeling the board will see the £££ signs and he'll be a Wrexham player by Wednesday. Then we will have promises of the money will go straight into the playing budget and we could not stand in his way.

A few weeks down the line we will sign some young inexperienced kids and find out the fee was lower than we hoped and paid via installments too.
Shade
Given the attacking optional he offers and that wr don't want him to go, anything less than what Accrington got for Burgess, age factored in, would be a disgrace. If he was the same age as Burgess then it would be over £1m.
Robin
Agree Shade but sadly I have no faith in this board to negotiate a big fee and not sure Wrexham would pay one either.
Artemis
ctfc-fan wrote:Sorry but if he goes to Wrexham, money or not, it says something for his ambition, dropping down two leagues with no guarantee of league one football again, especially at his age.
Aged 31, big money three year contract to end his pro career.
His ambition may be greater financial security for him and his family in what is a relatively short career.
I hope he doesn't go, but I can see why he might.
And if we're being absolutely honest, which of us wouldn't change jobs for a final pay day in our working careers?
ctfc-fan
Artemis wrote:
ctfc-fan wrote:Sorry but if he goes to Wrexham, money or not, it says something for his ambition, dropping down two leagues with no guarantee of league one football again, especially at his age.
His ambition may be greater financial security for him and his family in what is a relatively short career.
And if we're being absolutely honest, which of us wouldn't change jobs for a final pay day in our working careers?
But who’s to say we won’t offer him something?
Robin
Even if we offer him a new deal (which I believe we should) I doubt we can match the money Wrexham are offering.
ctfc-fan
Well we need to sell it on what he has in front of him then. League 1 football week in, week out or National League with no guarantee of promotion. Personally I know which I’d prefer if I was a player.
Anteros
Artemis wrote:
Totally agree. We all have this fairy tale idea that you want to play at the best league possible. But at 31 if you can be given a long term contract on 'potentially' alot more money than what you are on then most people would take that!?
slinky_dog
There are lots of references in this trail to money but from what I recall, Tozer was a player who had fallen out of love with football and suffered certain mental health issues.

He is clearly settled here and he seems to have his mojo back. I hope that on balance, what we have here will be more appealing than what Wrexham can offer.
Robin
People also forget the reason we got him in the first place was because we could offer more money than Newport after we sold Eisa.
Shade
At the end of the day, when all is said and done, the sky is blue and we don't know what is in Mr Tozer's thoughts. I'd imagine there would be a lot of weighing up for him to do and that's only if we and Wrexham agree a fee. They might come to us with an offer, the board ask MD about it, he says he wants to keep BT, tells BT as much, BT says OK I'm happy that the club would turn down that kind of money for me thanks, and the board tell Wrexham we aren't interested.

We can dream anyway, eh.
Horteng
I believe the board should start talking when figures reach 1 million. Until that happens I wouldn't entertain opening negotiations
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
It also depends on team balance. If we accepted, say £500,000, then we could use the money to sign 2-3 good free agents on 2 year deals. Then it comes down to whether Duff believes getting another left back and striker but losing Tozer is a net improvement for the squad or not.
everyman
Robin wrote:Ipswich just paid Accrington a rumoured £750,000 for Cameron Burgess as a benchmark. I just have the horrible feeling the board will see the £££ signs and he'll be a Wrexham player by Wednesday. Then we will have promises of the money will go straight into the playing budget and we could not stand in his way.

A few weeks down the line we will sign some young inexperienced kids and find out the fee was lower than we hoped and paid via installments too.
And around £1,000,000 for Edmundson but they are 2 young players with years ahead ot them,i expect Tozer to be sold for around £250,000 on a 3 year contract a great deal for him.
Robin
Sadly I genuinely cannot believe or trust this board to get the sorts of fees being banded in this thread. You watch we will sell for minimal fee and say the player made it clear he wanted to go and wouldn't sign a new deal. Then any funds will go into signing young kids on loan.
Hubert Parry
I wouldn't blame Tozer for wanting a guaranteed income for three years that exceeds what he is currently earning here. Life as a professional footballer is short and there is little security for a lower league footballer.

The club has to make a call as to what value it places on League One football - how much of a role Tozer would have in securing that and whether he could be replaced. In the current climate, I'm not convinced that the club can afford to turn down a six figure offer without giving it some serious consideration.