Lloyd joining L2 club on loan tomorrow

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Says JP on Twitter
Horteng
To make way for a loan or 2 I guess? George needs goals
andgarod
What is Lloyds contract period

Is it the beginning of the end for him
or are we going to get rid of Williams and or May in January

I think LLoyd could form a decent partnership with another striker but he needs time to do so
I wish him well
Robin
Good, it's been needed for a while, he's currently fifth choice at CTFC and we are signing another striker. Get him a run of games then see if he can compete for a place here in the second half of the season.
Nesty
5th choice?

May
Williams
Vassell

?
Robin
Including the new lad from Swansea in there Nesty and there is likely to be another signing too.
horlickfanclub
With Robin announcing two new strikers will May or Williams be departing on the "Lloyd principle"?
shevates
Someone on the terraces last week said if we were looking for a striker and Llyod was at another club would you if you were nanager of CTFC try to sign him ? If he goes to a league 2 club on loan we could benefit from him getting league experience but I feel hes not going to make it here
Robin
horlickfanclub wrote:With Robin announcing two new strikers will May or Williams be departing on the "Lloyd principle"?
I very much doubt that, we need four core strikers.
Robin
shevates wrote:Someone on the terraces last week said if we were looking for a striker and Llyod was at another club would you if you were nanager of CTFC try to sign him ? If he goes to a league 2 club on loan we could benefit from him getting league experience but I feel hes not going to make it here
I believe that's a fair point but he's still young and we've invested around ten years into his development so hopefully this helps him kick on and when he returns he's ready to challenge for a spot in our team.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Port Vale. JP confirms a season-long loan with a January recall option. Trained with them today.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
https://www.ctfc.com/news/2021/august/l ... move-away/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
andgarod
unless he score 10 or more before Christmas its good bye George and good luck

So we have to reply on 1 in 5 May or cant be arsed Williams
The new strikers need to be better than those 2
shevates
Robin wrote:
shevates wrote:Someone on the terraces last week said if we were looking for a striker and Llyod was at another club would you if you were nanager of CTFC try to sign him ? If he goes to a league 2 club on loan we could benefit from him getting league experience but I feel hes not going to make it here
I believe that's a fair point but he's still young and we've invested around ten years into his development so hopefully this helps him kick on and when he returns he's ready to challenge for a spot in our team.
The thing is Robin do you see that hes improved since he joined the first team squad 3 or 4 years ago ?.I feel this move to Port Vale for a season long loan will make or break his future with us. A good season with Vale will / could benefit us
Hubert Parry
I think that is right.

I'm curious to know how profitable the academy has been to date. The club has made a concerted effort to bolster it in recent years and it might be that it will be a few more years before we see the results of some our rivals (e.g. Exeter).

I'm wondering whether we might see some clubs start to adopt the Brentford model of scrapping their academy altogether.
ctfc-fan
andgarod wrote:unless he score 10 or more before Christmas its good bye George and good luck

So we have to reply on 1 in 5 May or cant be arsed Williams
The new strikers need to be better than those 2
How many has Williams scored this season so far, including pre season…..?
asl
I said several times during the summer that we needed two new, first-choice, better-than-what-we-have, strikers. I thought maybe Vassell was one of them (albeit, currently injured) but we still need another (which is highly unlikely to be a young loanee, imho...)
Shade
Everyone has said we need better strikers. We needed better strikers LAST season - we didn't win the league because we were taking every chance that came our way...we won it because we were tight at the back and created so many opportunies that one or two had to go in eventually. So far we have been the same, attacking, but not so tight at the back, so we will have to take more of the chances.

Vassell's scoring rate throughout his career isn't any much better than Williams and May but, if we do sign Joseph, he has, I think, 5 goals in 12 games at this level, so, you never know, he could be the lad. There's always a youngster that has a standout season somewhere.
Si Robin
The 5 goals is inflated by a hat-trick in one, but I have heard very good things about the lad.
Horteng
Good luck to George. Lot of pressure on this loan. Make or break time one thinks?
Shade
Port Vale fans seem to think he will barely play for them either.
Robin
Shade wrote:Port Vale fans seem to think he will barely play for them either.
If he cannot get in the Port Vale team regularly then no chance we should offer him an extended deal here.
longmover
How long do you give a youth team player the opportunity to break through as a first team regular? He's had four years now (?) scored five league goals and not established in the first team.
Robin
We've seen players like Matt Smith and Marley Watkins being released then go on to have careers in the Championship. We need to find a way to bridge players from the youth set-up into the first team and at eighteen or nineteen that's a huge leap. Better to take a few each year and loan them out, if they do well keep them and then move up the ladder with their loans.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:We've seen players like Matt Smith and Marley Watkins being released then go on to have careers in the Championship. We need to find a way to bridge players from the youth set-up into the first team and at eighteen or nineteen that's a huge leap. Better to take a few each year and loan them out, if they do well keep them and then move up the ladder with their loans.
One of the biggest challenges when bridging a player in my view is the fans. Watkins would have been declared it good enough by this board and the manager slammed for picking him. But the young players need to have the regular playing time to become established and that needs patience from fans.
Robin
Felix Miles will be a great example, he's seventeen and looks one of our best prospects for years but quite clearly he's not ready for league one football now. We've loaned him to Evesham but for me he needs a pro deal and starting regularly at somewhere like Glos City next season. If he does well there then we should be looking is he ready for us or should we then go to Yeovil/Torquay for a season.
Shade
We do seem to loan our players to clubs too low down the pyramid to help them progress. I get that we have a good relationship with the likes of Evesham, but are the kids getting the experience they need at that level? If anything, that type of football at that level seems to hinder their development.
longmover
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Robin wrote:We've seen players like Matt Smith and Marley Watkins being released then go on to have careers in the Championship. We need to find a way to bridge players from the youth set-up into the first team and at eighteen or nineteen that's a huge leap. Better to take a few each year and loan them out, if they do well keep them and then move up the ladder with their loans.
One of the biggest challenges when bridging a player in my view is the fans. Watkins would have been declared it good enough by this board and the manager slammed for picking him. But the young players need to have the regular playing time to become established and that needs patience from fans.
Lets be honest this is one things fans don't have and tbf when they see home grown talent given five/ten minutes here and there in the first Xl then farmed out to other teams on loan then pulled back into the first Xl for another five/ten minutes then dropped then sent out on loan again is anyone really surprised.

Surely after four years he's good enough or not after that its just apathy from fans.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Hopefully a clause that he can’t play against us in the Cup, in case we draw them.
Shade
Lloyd's loan is over and he is out for 2-3 months, during which he needs complete rest for a stomach muscle injury.