Striker or no striker

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

longtimerobin
One day to go before end or transfer window and still we wait for this striker eveyone says we need or is close to being signed by the club. What is the main stumbling block, are we going for a big name in the top two divisons who is a proven goalscorer, but just to costly for cheltenham or a younger in player lower leagues we are looking for somebody on the cheap who will proof not quite good enough and we have had plenty of them in the past. Is not time the club made a statement as to how ambitious we are and sign a player who will get the fans excited. You cant buy success but at least you can try rather than just hope we can plod on as Little old Cheltenham. To go down this season after the success we have had will be more costly than if we spent a bit of money. We have a good team which needs a bit of help and a very good manager, lets give them the backing they need or the efforts of the last two seasons will of been in vain.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Let’s see who we sign first.
CTFCfan99
Lloyd out on loan to Port Vale. Must mean we've got two strikers coming in (and they surely must be confirmed if Lloyd is already gone).
Hubert Parry
Yes, I'm fully expecting two to come in tomorrow, one of whom will be Kyle Joseph.
ctfc-fan
Let’s ask David Copperfield if he can magic us that elusive striker you mention, one that no one else wants and chooses Cheltenham….
kags
Will Grigg, one can dream! Rumoured to want to be closer to family in the Midlands.
Robin
Will Grigg will be on far too much money. I've heard a few names suggested as potential permanent signings but I fully expect Joseph and a relatively cheap 'cover' loanee to come in.
everyman
Robin wrote:Will Grigg will be on far too much money. I've heard a few names suggested as potential permanent signings but I fully expect Joseph and a relatively cheap 'cover' loanee to come in.
Nobody saw Pollock coming, we could be surprised ?
Round Robin
He's on 6k a week at Sunderland. !!!!! Don't think we can afford him .
kags
Round Robin wrote:He's on 6k a week at Sunderland. !!!!! Don't think we can afford him .
Doncaster interested but a loan deal, so only a proportion of wages.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
kags wrote:
Round Robin wrote:He's on 6k a week at Sunderland. !!!!! Don't think we can afford him .
Doncaster interested but a loan deal, so only a proportion of wages.
And Doncaster will be able pay £2-3k a week more than we can I imagine.
Robin
Money has dried up at Doncaster, no chance they can pay £2-3k a week more than us, they are in for a season of struggle and have one of the lower budgets. That said, neither of us could afford half of Griggs supposed wages I suspect.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Money has dried up at Doncaster, no chance they can pay £2-3k a week more than us, they are in for a season of struggle and have one of the lower budgets. That said, neither of us could afford half of Griggs supposed wages I suspect.
Source?
Robin
Source for what? Do you think they have a top end budget...they couldn't even afford Dan Crowley and have to sell before they can sign anyone.
Red Duke
Robin wrote:Source for what? Do you think they have a top end budget...they couldn't even afford Dan Crowley and have to sell before they can sign anyone.
Talking of Dan Crowley, has he signed for anybody yet?
Robin
Nope his agent has well and truly screwed him after trials with Donny, ourselves and Gills. Expect him to end up in Scotland or Wrexham.
Malabus
Red Duke wrote:
Robin wrote:Source for what? Do you think they have a top end budget...they couldn't even afford Dan Crowley and have to sell before they can sign anyone.
Talking of Dan Crowley, has he signed for anybody yet?
His still clubless.
Shade
clubless or clueless?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I don’t necessarily think they have a top end budget. I was asking if you had a source or evidence that their “money has dried up” and that they will have one of the lower budgets.
Robin
I don't have an article of anything but they were really struggling to pay COVID related HMRC debts of almost a million this summer and Wellens was very vocal about having to work on a low budget. There was a time where they were bankrolled but that was scaled back some time ago. Like us they are not a big fish in league one.
Shade
Not hard to find https://www.doncasterroversfc.co.uk/new ... doncaster/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Interesting. Thanks Shade.