Five Ways Michael Duff Can Keep Cheltenham In L2

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Malabus
By Gab Sutton.

https://www.bettingodds.com/news/five-w ... league-one" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fuller
All very valid points and I think most would agree with those observations.

BTW Dennis Allen didn't take us back into the Southern Premier in 1985, it was actually under Alan Wood in 1983, and then John Murphy took us into what is the now the National League in 1985. Sorry to be pedantic.
Artemis
And I'm hoping it doesn't come to him having to keep us in L2..... :-)

The wing-back points are particularly interesting. I wonder with no Tozer and aging wing-backs, a 4-4-2 or variant of it might be tried sooner rather than later? Although that said, we seem to be short on left-backs, given Hussey's defensive frailties.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Hussey is a top L1 player.
Malabus
Artemis wrote:And I'm hoping it doesn't come to him having to keep us in L2..... :-)
Yeah just noticed, just pretend it says L1 and get on with your day.
longmover
interesting stat about the ages of WB starting games, ie our WB are old.
Shade
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Hussey is a top L1 player.
According to the tit who sits next to me, he was struggling in L2 last season, is now too old and not up to L1 standard.
Artemis
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Hussey is a top L1 player.
Some aspects of his game most certainly are - when we're on the front foot, as we were last season, and he is operating up and down the flank, his passing, vision and crosses are really quality at this level, and were standout last season - However, when pushed back into a 5, the defensive side of his game, than as a wing back, aren't quite so clever - he's vulnerable to a fleeter footed, technical attacker in my opinion, who can either out run him, or tap and go past him if he presses. As evidenced by Saturday. He needs support from one of the centre backs when that happens to provide the cover. If he's further forward, the midfield can help him out, leaving the centre backs in position.

Now we happen to have that problem on both flanks, so I wonder if Hussey / Blair might move to wide midfield, with Long and Freestone at fullback behind them.
horlickfanclub
I agree with Artemis about 4 4 2 but would not push Hussey forward.
Warwickshire Robin
Artemis wrote:And I'm hoping it doesn't come to him having to keep us in L2..... :-)

The wing-back points are particularly interesting. I wonder with no Tozer and aging wing-backs, a 4-4-2 or variant of it might be tried sooner rather than later? Although that said, we seem to be short on left-backs, given Hussey's defensive frailties.
Very much agree. None of our remaining centre backs seem comfortable playing the Tozer central role, I haven't seen Pollock play yet so he may be but I am expecting him to be in a similar mould as Raglan & Boyle. You need a ball player who can defend rather than a defender who can play the ball in my view. This leads me to think a 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 would fit our players better with a back 4 of Long, Raglan, Boyle & Huss.