Charlton Athletic v Cheltenham Town

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Team news, live updates and reaction from the Valley all here this afternoon: https://bit.ly/CharltonA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shade
3-4-2-1 formation with May up front alone as Joseph has been ill, with Perry and Wright behind him, Thomas back in at the expense of Sercombe and Pollock for Freestone. Here's hoping it works but I'm sceptical. Just like I was before that game at Bristol Rovers in 2011 that ended up launching us towards the play-offs.
HamTown
I'm skeptical aswell, we seemed pretty impotent going forward when we switched to that formation last week although granted it was Williams not May upfront
Ralph
C'mon lets go! 0-1 to CTFC. Great goal
Shade
Alfie!!! If that lad could finish anything but tap-ins...
Shade
Just rewatched the penalty incident and Alfie was plain and simple taken out. Penalty every day of the week. Don't know what the ref was looking at.
Shade
But who cares! Should be 4-0 but I'll take 2-0 after half an hour.
Ralph
Like the commentary says.. we belong in this division. No one is outplaying us
Shade
Let's not forget that Charlton have been poor and haven't had a good start to the season, though. Yes, we belong here, but we saw better teams than Charlton last season.

Nice that we have taken a couple of chances! Perry has been excellent, and I'd be amazed if Callum Wright doesn't make his Premier League debut for Leicester in the next 2 seasons. We actually have the likes of Sercombe and Joseph to come off the bench as well.
Nesty
get in !!!!
Shade
We still don't know when to stop f#!$ ing around with it at the back and adjust. We'll probably end up losing this for all the goals we should have had.
Shade
Same pattern every game, there's a period where we just don't get the ball out of our half, keep giving it back and it nearly always ends with us conceding.
Shade
OMG Alfie...he actually just missed from a yard out. Not surprised he's being taken off now!
Alf
We’ve a terrible habit when we get cast iron chances of hitting shots straight at the opposition keeper rather than trying to place it either side of him. Just a bit more care and composure required rather than the red mist.
Shade
16 shots to 12, 8 to 1 on target, 57% possession. We should have been out of sight but I will take any first away win!

We're only 6 points off top...:lol:
triggo
oh Cheltenham !
Its wonderful

Oh Cheltenham its wonderful !!!!

Great result and perfomance !

Believe !!!!
BerkeleyRobin
Great performance overall.Bit nervy towards the end.As said previously, if only May could finish....Did Stockley punch Sean Long? Certainly looked like it.
Ralph
A couple of quotes off the Charlton forum
"Always second to the ball to f**kin Cheltenham? **"

"This Cheltenham side sliced about 5 clearances today, they’re not even league one standard I’d argue, but we let them have so much time. They’re like a Sunday league side who’ve been given a big day out but somehow made mugs of us."

Excellent win today. Comments like that make me love the win even more
Nesty
Ralph wrote:A couple of quotes off the Charlton forum
"Always second to the ball to f**kin Cheltenham? **"

"This Cheltenham side sliced about 5 clearances today, they’re not even league one standard I’d argue, but we let them have so much time. They’re like a Sunday league side who’ve been given a big day out but somehow made mugs of us."

Excellent win today. Comments like that make me love the win even more
sour grapes ?
Ralph
Just a little lol
Ben version 4:0
We're 14th, the position that wise old sage Ben3 said we finish at. But I think we can do more...we can do better.

Why not go up? Nobody is that good (apart from, it looks like, Sunderland)
Horteng
Great win.

Time to lose the little old Cheltenham tag. We aren't world beaters but were here on merit holding our own
Nesty
Its looking good with the young loan lads adding energy and pace to the experiance and guile of the senior pro's. Hopefully we dont suffer innuries, I hpe Pollock was only cramp. We will hopefully get even better as the squad gel together and become adjusted to L1.
We earbed the right to be in L1 by winning L2, we can defy the odds and prove that organisation and tactics canrule the rooost.
My only fear is that injuries may take their toll, and or our success will alert bivger c,ubs to the obvious managerial skills of Mike Duff and his team.
We still have to add Raglan, Vassell, Norton, Bonds and Barkers to the mix.
Exciting times.
ctfc-fan
According to the Charlton Facebook page we’re a Mickey Mouse team. Someone has been winding them up!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Another win for Freestone.
asl
Adkins was complimentary: https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/we-were- ... nham-town/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shade
:lol: yet another Billy Big balls club that can't put a TEAM together. Imagine if we had their budget to give to Duff.

Fans still think their team will turn up against "little old Cheltenham" and stuff us, the League 2 champions. Just shows that they actually know nothing about football and are only interested in "their" club. Or maybe they have looked at the number of goals we have conceded and decided it will be easy, not bothering to check that nobody has stuffed us (yet). None of them watched the Man City game, that's for sure.
HamTown
Fantastic result, clearly wrong to be skeptical of the formation and selection

Curious to know how did Pollock do?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
HamTown wrote:Fantastic result, clearly wrong to be skeptical of the formation and selection

Looked solid. Faster, calmer on the ball, and better positioned than Ben Towel or whoever the old lump was he replaced.
HamTown
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
HamTown wrote:Fantastic result, clearly wrong to be skeptical of the formation and selection

Looked solid. Faster, calmer on the ball, and better positioned than Ben Towel or whoever the old lump was he replaced.
That sounds encouraging, thanks

Losing tozer may end up being a positive if Pollock does the business
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
HamTown wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:

That sounds encouraging, thanks

Losing tozer may end up being a positive if Pollock does the business
It looked like a bag bout of cramp he went off with so hopefully nothing too serious.

He was tall and won headers, which generally had good direction and distance.
robinsrule
Today was a tremendous away day both on and off the pitch…. I thoroughly enjoyed that win!

I am looking forward to Sunderland and Portsmouth away too and I think we can go there without fear.
Horteng
Why is there no after match interviews?
Nesty
https://www.skysports.com/football/char ... ort/447964" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
andgarod
https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/s ... ue-5904805" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;