Early Six Pointer...

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Malabus
Wigan v Cheltenham for the L1 title.
triggo
Thats ridiculous Mallers
Couple of wins and were going to beat Wigan and win the league !

Absolute rubbish... its clearly not happening

It has to be us or Sunderland surley
:D :D
Robin
We are 5/2 to finish top half, feels like not a lot of value in that. Bookies also have us 8-1 for relegation (ten teams with shorter odds). If anyone is really optimistic we are 12-1 with most bookies for promotion, twelth favourites (pretty much all the money is going on Sunderland).
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Wigan on Saturday followed by Sunderland. Win both of those and we are bona fide contenders. Take the 12/1 now.
Shade
Win either of those and I may start looking up rather than down but I feel like we are due a good hiding tbh. I’m made up for the overall start but we have ridden our luck and some bad finishing from our opponents on occasion and coming up against the top 2 is bviously going to show us where we really should be looking at in this division. One thing is for certain, if Wigan and Sunderland press us and we try playing out from the back for too long, like we have done a few times this season, we will be embarrassed. No surprise that the game changed today when we started going longer and actually getting the ball into their half.
Jerry St Clair
"We'll win the league
At Camb-e-ridge
We'll win the league at Camb-e-ridge
And we'll do it for Benny Tozer
We'll win the league at Camb-e-ridge"
robinsrule
I keep hearing about Sunderland are so good yet they only win by one goal every week. I guess I’ll see for myself when we play there next week :-)
Artemis
robinsrule wrote:I keep hearing about Sunderland are so good yet they only win by one goal every week. I guess I’ll see for myself when we play there next week :-)
I think we won League 2 last season by winning 1-0 quite often...of our 24 wins, 13 were by a 1 goal margin; 8 games 1-0, with a further 5 by the odd goal.
robinsrule
Not saying they are not a good team or even the best team in the league, but when there is one goal in it there is always a chance for the opposition. It would be nice if we can go there and play without fear.
Shade
And have Perry and Wright absolutely rinse Winchester all afternoon (if he plays).
Robin
If we are going to get well beaten then I suspect it will be Saturday at Wigan who by all accounts have been very impressive this season.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Not sure why anyone thinks we are due a heavy defeat or should expect one. Talk about little old Cheltenham thinking.

We go to Wigan and Sunderland as equals on the pitch regardless of the gulf off it.
asl
We could try playing Big Jules as a winger and see if we can time-waste for 80 minutes to grind out a 0-0 draw, again...?
Red Duke
asl wrote:We could try playing Big Jules as a winger and see if we can time-waste for 80 minutes to grind out a 0-0 draw, again...?
It is often mentioned about Jules playing on the wing in this game but how long did the tactic actually last for?
Si Robin
The only thing I remember about the game was Devaney coming closest to scoring.

The pub just over from the ground was also named something like The Red Robin and was quite decent.
duckers
I just remember Nathan Ellington playing for them and celebrating the best ever 0-0 wildly at the end
Jerry St Clair
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Not sure why anyone thinks we are due a heavy defeat or should expect one. Talk about little old Cheltenham thinking.

We go to Wigan and Sunderland as equals on the pitch regardless of the gulf off it.
Quite. Look at it from a Sunderland point of view. Their fans expect them to win, and win well, every time they step on the pitch at the SOL. Especially so against Little 'Ol Cheltenham. That's huge pressure for any player, let alone an L1 player. The first misplaced pass and you've got 30000 demanding Mackems on your back.

The flip side of that is that a couple of early goals, and that crowd becomes intimidating and the away side is in danger of crumbling. But absolutely no reason to think that this wonderful, resilient team that Duff has built would collapse in such a way.
Shade
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Not sure why anyone thinks we are due a heavy defeat or should expect one. Talk about little old Cheltenham thinking.
I gave my reasons in the post where I said it feels like we're due a hiding.
asl
Red Duke wrote:It is often mentioned about Jules playing on the wing in this game but how long did the tactic actually last for?
It felt like all match. Long time ago now, but I remember us trying to keep the ball by the corner flag with about 20 minutes left.
Artemis
We got a (bit of a) hiding at Barrow last season, and this is a distinct step up in class of opposition from what I've seen so far. Our pressing, pass out from the back game is more vulnerable to the better technical players found in this league. So, chances are we'll get a hiding or two this season too. Whether its Wigan or Sunderland or someone else entirely, only time will tell.