Preston NE vs Cheltenham

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

HamTown
Tricky decisions to be made by MD with games coming up thick and fast with a lot of travelling:

Preston (A) - Tues Sept 21
Wigan (A) - Sat Sept 25
Sunderland (A) - Tues Sept 28
Rotherham (H) - Sat Oct 02

I think this game is worth going for, Preston in 17th us in 9th - its definitely winnable. Looking at the Preston forums their backline may potentially be slow so I'd stick with our quick forwards but expect to make full use of our subs.

Flinders

Blair Long Pollock Boyle Hussey

Thomas Sercs (if fit) Perry

May Joseph

Has there been any word on Sercombe or Wright's availability?
Shade
HamTown wrote:Tricky decisions to be made by MD with games coming up thick and fast with a lot of travelling:

Preston (A) - Tues Sept 21
Wigan (A) - Sat Sept 25
Sunderland (A) - Tues Sept 28
Rotherham (H) - Sat Oct 02

I think this game is worth going for, Preston in 17th us in 9th - its definitely winnable. Looking at the Preston forums their backline may potentially be slow so I'd stick with our quick forwards but expect to make full use of our subs.

Flinders

Blair Long Pollock Boyle Hussey

Thomas Sercs (if fit) Perry

May Joseph

Has there been any word on Sercombe or Wright's availability?

Other than Duff thinking Sercombe was a "7-10 dayer", nothing yet.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I would rest/rotate more players.
HamTown
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:I would rest/rotate more players.
But who?

JP says "Will Boyle and Callum Wright injuries to be assessed this morning, Liam Sercombe expected to be out for seven to 10 days"

Freestone for Boyle. Wright potentially on the bench.

I'd be tempted to start with Bonds and have Chapman's versatility in reserve off the bench
Artemis
Freestone for Boyle, possibly Horton for Long and Bonds for Chapman? Barkers on the bench.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Williams up front. Give Vassell some minutes if fit enough.
Robin
Joseph and Norton are both cup tied to May and Vassell will start up top I would think and Williams our only option from the bench. Freestone to come in for Boyle too otherwise and unchanged team I would think.
HamTown
Bugger that is a blow to lose Joseph

Hopefully Wright can be involved at some point otherwise we're not going to have many options
HamTown
JP - "Missing tonight for Cheltenham Town: Will Boyle, Liam Sercombe, Callum Wright, Callum Ebanks (injured). Kyle Joseph and Christian Norton (cup tied). Charlie Raglan only started training on Monday so unlikely to be risked. Expecting Dylan Barkers to be involved #ctfc"
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
In a way in a game like this it is better to have squad players playing - it is a shot to nothing and they can go out and go for it. If our more important players were playing then we would have the dilemma of players choosing between worrying about not getting injured or going for it and risking injury in a game we probably won’t win even if at full strength and effort.

PNE will have no idea who half our players are and we will probably play some unusual formation based on the players we do have available.

It’s a situation which galvanises the squad and makes an upset even more special if it happens.

3-1-2-1-2-1 diamond for me:

Long Horton Freestone
———-Thomas—————
Blair——————Chapman
———--Barkers—————-
——Perry— —Williams
————-Vassell———-
Shade
Is there a rule in this competition about having to play a certain number of players that have played X number of games this season or that started the previous league game, unless players are injured or cup tied?
Shade
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
That is one long ass way of saying a 3-4-3 diamond :lol:
Red Duke
Shade wrote:Is there a rule in this competition about having to play a certain number of players that have played X number of games this season or that started the previous league game, unless players are injured or cup tied?
I think that is the rule in Papa John Trophy but not in the Carabao Cup.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
That is one long ass way of saying a 3-4-3 diamond :lol:
Did it to emphasise the two wide 10s behind the 9s rather than a pure front three.
plymrob
I for one want CTFC to proceed in all competitions. I also get cheesed off every season with the general negativity for certain competitions. It was tough draw and a tough game, and (just maybe) we did better than some (?). Please give people in the squad games and please do not rubbish the games before-hand and/or after. How sad is it that people need to be told. Please put yourself in the chosen players shoes...

COYR
horlickfanclub
Agree with Plym