Callum Wright injury blow

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
https://bit.ly/WrightInjuryBlow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Johnsons Red Army
Damn, that’s not good at all!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
This changes everything. No team in L1 would be the same without, arguably, the division’s best attacking midfielder.
HamTown
Absolute disaster. Fingers crossed he recovers well.
Benctfc
Boyle being out for a month is a big loss too. Especially as him, Long and Pollock were looking a strong back 3. Let's hope it is nothing too serious and he can get back asap.
Hubert Parry
There's nothing we can do about it and it is an opportunity for Perry and Long/Freestone to establish themselves.

Not the news I wanted to wake up to though. Those two are arguably the first names on the team sheet.

Poor Callum. That's such a disappointment for him at a time he was really developing. Let's hope it's not as bad as feared.
horlickfanclub
Charlie Raglan is back but we will miss Will and Callum. Good to see Barkers stepping up.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Wright is irreplaceable. Very much a case of Perry etc doing enough to keep us up now, rather than a Wright-inspired top half target.

Has certainly killed my enthusiasm for the forthcoming games and the rest of the season.
asl
Christian Norton from Stoke has just signed...looks about 16....
Malabus
We will never see Wright in a Cheltenham shirt again. This is a HUGE blow. It's definitely all about survival now.
Training must see changes, majority of injuries come at Seasons.
Ihearye
Thanks for the laugh. Usual hysteria. We are NOT a one man team. We beat Oxford without Wright. Will we miss him? Yes. Does he define our season? No.
Voice of reason rationality and politeness
HamTown
We at least have options up front now.

Makes me wonder whether a 4 - 3 - 3 with May / Vassell / Joseph could work well
longmover
have Leicester confirmed its six months?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
No one is getting hysterical or saying we are a one man team. I personally believe Wright is worth five league places to any team in this division. For us that is the difference between 20th and 15th. For Sunderland, between a top three battle and runaway leaders.

I hadn’t considered relegation as a concern this season. Now I think it is something we do need to be aware of. We still have a very competitive squad who can beat our previous best finish of 17th. Just I think this blow will make a comfortable top 10-15 finishing unlikely.
Mark Corrigan
Crikey talk about overreaction.

We've lost a good player. We have another very good player who plays the same role (who was actually Duff's first choice)

But nope season is over now and we are going to lose 10-0 at Wigan tomorrow.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Mark Corrigan wrote:Crikey talk about overreaction.

We've lost a good player. We have another very good player who plays the same role (who was actually Duff's first choice)

Read my previous post.
Si Robin
Mark Corrigan wrote:Crikey talk about overreaction.

We're playing Wigan on Saturday ;) :lol:
HamTown
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:No one is getting hysterical or saying we are a one man team. I personally believe Wright is worth five league places to any team in this division. For us that is the difference between 20th and 15th. For Sunderland, between a top three battle and runaway leaders.

I hadn’t considered relegation as a concern this season. Now I think it is something we do need to be aware of. We still have a very competitive squad who can beat our previous best finish of 17th. Just I think this blow will make a comfortable top 10-15 finishing unlikely.
A fine player no doubt and I'm glad hes been here the last 2 seasons but I doubt he would make the first XI for any of the "big" teams in the league

A fit Vassell will make up for the loss of Wright I'm sure from an overall POV
Shade
I'm gutted Wright will be out as, not only is he a good player, but it realistically takes away the option of playing that formation we used at Charlton as there isn't really another player like him and Perry to slot into the role. Maybe Sercs could do it but he's not as attacking.

But the team beat Oxford without him on Saturday and, as long as we don't keep picking up injuries to more important players, then we will be fine. Expecting a bad few games between now and Boyle coming back, though, due to the fixtures as much as the missing personnel. Hopefully Raglan is fit and ready for at least one of Wigan or Sunderland.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Oxford was a one off game. Going 38 or whatever more games without him is a different kettle.

Like last season we won games without Hussey. But we probably wouldn’t have won the league had he not played the majority of games.
horlickfanclub
Have you heard of the transfer window Regency? We will be fine. I trust the team who found Wright to find a replacement if needed.
longmover
Duff saying 'worst case' scenario six months
Fuller
longmover wrote:Duff saying 'worst case' scenario six months
Anyone know if we have to continue paying his wages, or do Leicester pick up the tab?
Whatever, we all wish Callum a rapid recovery.
Fuller
asl wrote:Christian Norton from Stoke has just signed...looks about 16....
He actually signed over 3 weeks ago, but stayed at Stoke because he was injured ... but now he's not. Good.
asl
Ah...I took my lead from the official Facebook page that posted the signing a few minutes before I commented here.
Si Robin
Fuller wrote:
Anyone know if we have to continue paying his wages, or do Leicester pick up the tab?
It depends what's in the deal - but it was what buggered us up financially when James Wesolowski broke his leg playing for us.
Fuller
Si Robin wrote:
Fuller wrote:
It depends what's in the deal - but it was what buggered us up financially when James Wesolowski broke his leg playing for us.
Yes he was a Leicester lad too, good player.
Now possibly insured for long term injuries these days?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Si Robin wrote:
Fuller wrote:
Also derailed the whole team which was looking comfortable with Weso and Weso bossing midfield.

Luckily the balanced squad and sensible manager will mean we will not go down the same path.
Warwickshire Robin
Firstly best wishes to Callum, hope the rehab goes well and you are back sooner than later.

He will certainly be a big loss as he seemed to be the one player in our squad who could produce that moment of magic to get a us goal from nowhere. He isn't the sort to beat four players or out pace everybody but as MD has said before he just seems to be in the right place at the right time to get on the end of things, we will miss that.

Hopefully the likes of Taylor Perry or Kyle Joseph and take over that role for now and we see Callum in the red shirt again soon.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Be good if Wright is back in time for the play offs :D
longmover
I reckon Wright will be back before six months, Jan 2022.
Shade
8 weeks once Leicester have had the best people on the case... *fingers crossed*
HamTown
4 weeks if RCS Mr.Miyagis him
asl
HamTown wrote:4 weeks if RCS Mr.Miyagis him
That would only be good enough for one kick, from which he would doubtlessly score a worldy to win the match.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote:
HamTown wrote:4 weeks if RCS Mr.Miyagis him
That would only be good enough for one kick, from which he would doubtlessly score a worldy to win the match.
Wax off, wax on.