Wigan Athletic v Cheltenham Town

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Team news, live updates and reaction from the DW Stadium all here this afternoon: https://bit.ly/WiganAway" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shade
Freestone for Boyle, Sercombe for Perry who is on the bench. A much more defensively minded midfield, I'd say.

Also, no Raglan on the bench so I assume he has had a setback. Only defender on the bench is Horton.
Nesty
Also Where is Williams ?
Shade
We already have 2 strikers on the bench so I'm assuming surplus to requirements. 1 keeper, 1 defender, 3 mids and 2 strikers are already there
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Flinders; Long, Pollock, Freestone; Blair, Thomas, Sercombe (c), Chapman, Hussey; May, Joseph
HamTown
Expected Vassell to start ahead of May, guess the slowly slowly approach is best

Squad looks a lot rosier today than it did against Preston
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Looking like being a long afternoon.
ctfc-fan
Have faith
CTFCfan99
I know Wigan are a good side, but this is as poor as I've seen us for a long time. We've barely strung two passes together and with the chances they've had Wigan will be wondering how they aren't 3 or 4 up.
HamTown
Remember Ipswich! COYR

Vassell to come on at half time for me. Perry a little later in the half
Shade
We've looked scared of them most of the first half. Scared to go forward, but then pass backwards and incite pressure on and occasionally lose it in much worse areas. Hopefully Vassel can do half an hour and give us a chance to hold the ball in the other half for a while. And hopefully Norton can come on and have a blinding debut. Luckily, and it is a bit lucky, we are still in it at the moment. Need to be still when the attack comes off the bench.

Freestone is having his worst game for us. He's made a couple of good standing tackles but his distribution...way too slow to decide what he's going to do and nowhere near accurate enough.

Certainly can't blame the ref yet today - he hasn't given Wigan a single free kick yet, 6 to us.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:We've looked scared of them most of the first half. Scared to go forward, but then pass backwards and incite pressure on and occasionally lose it in much worse areas. Hopefully Vassel can do half an hour and give us a chance to hold the ball in the other half for a while. And hopefully Norton can come on and have a blinding debut. Luckily, and it is a bit lucky, we are still in it at the moment. Need to be still when the attack comes off the bench.

Freestone is having his worst game for us. He's made a couple of good standing tackles but his distribution...way too slow to decide what he's going to do and nowhere near accurate enough.

Certainly can't blame the ref yet today - he hasn't given Wigan a single free kick yet, 6 to us.
Sounds like we need TP on to take on the Wright role of confident forward running and passing.
Shade
Not surprised at all that Lewis is off at HT. Perry on.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:Not surprised at all that Lewis is off at HT. Perry on.
Changing to a back four? 4-4-2 or 4-3-3?
CTFCfan99
Well that defending was.. interesting
Shade
Jesus Christ. Obviously forgot to tell anyone to cover the space that Freestone has left.
Shade
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Shade wrote:Not surprised at all that Lewis is off at HT. Perry on.
Changing to a back four? 4-4-2 or 4-3-3?
4-4-2. It's going great!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Keep it to 3 please and I get max points in the prediction league.
Alf
We can do better than this. We seem to have a bit of an inferiority complex today. OK, Wigan are a good side but we played with more confidence against Man City. We’re a bit clueless at the back today.
CTFCfan99
We seem to have the odd game here and there where all our players forget how to pass or control the ball. This is one of those
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Regroup. Move on and do better on Tuesday.
CTFCfan99
We need Raglan back ASAP, we'll struggle without him and Boyle. Perry to start on Tuesday, he's at least looked decent. Too many players not at it today.
Shade
Thomas has been awful today. He can only play the ball the way he's facing or backwards. No awareness of what's on the other side.

Not looking good for Pollock's nose. The last thing we need is another defender out.

I don't think Wigan have looked that good. Probably only in third gear. We have been very poor all round and allowed them to take it at a canter.
Shade
Erasing this one from the memory banks in 3...2...1...
Ben version 4:0
So we're sitting 14th, the position that fount of all knowledge Ben3 said we'd finish. Presumably Ipswich and charlton will sack their managers soon and climb up the league, but given the first nine games I'm increasingly confident we'll be ok - 2-0 away to Wigan is no disgrace
Alf
Too many occasions where we’ve had huge gaps down the right hand side of our defence. I agree, Thomas has been poor today as well. We’ve given away two bad goals which could have been avoided.
A very disappointing afternoon but they are a decent team and it was always going to be a tough game but we probably could have given a better account of ourselves.
If we’re going to play our passing game we need to be a lot sharper and confident against teams like this.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Better to play poorly in a game we were likely to lose anyway. We have to avoid that type of performance against bottom third sides.

Looking forward to Tuesday.
Alf
I’m not certain whether they made us look average or whether it was partly our own doing?
Horteng
Park it, Move on.

Probably the same story at 21.50 on Tuesday also
HamTown
CTFCfan99 wrote:We need Raglan back ASAP, we'll struggle without him and Boyle. Perry to start on Tuesday, he's at least looked decent. Too many players not at it today.
Who do you leave out to accommodate him?
Ben version 4:0
I think we look much sounder defensively with long at RWB and rags at right side of a three.

Harsh on Blair who's a good player and never lets us down. But away at Sunderland I'd pick a back five and long at RWB
Nesty
Alf wrote:I’m not certain whether they made us look average or whether it was partly our own doing?
Listening to BBC Commentary I would say yes they made us look (below) average and we made mistakes. They had 4 players on the pitch who had been bought or sold for one million. We were missing 3 of our first XI (Raglan, Boyle and Wright. We didn't expect to win it - and didn't disgrace ourselves against a team with 100's of FL experience between them whilst our squad had several players with number of league games in single figures. This will continue to be the case in the coming weeks & months.
So far we have played 9 games winning 3, drawing 3 and losing 3
5 of these 9 games have been away
CTFCfan99
HamTown wrote:
CTFCfan99 wrote:We need Raglan back ASAP, we'll struggle without him and Boyle. Perry to start on Tuesday, he's at least looked decent. Too many players not at it today.
Who do you leave out to accommodate him?
Assuming we have the same squad available I'd have him in for either Thomas (with Sercs playing a bit deeper), or for May with Joseph alone up top and Sercs and Perry in behind. Not many options at the moment though!
HamTown
Sorry I meant Raglan. Long at RWB is probably most likely but Long also played last season at LCB for a few games and was fairly decent

I think the first choice midfield 3 is Chapman/Sercs/Perry but Perry played the full game against Preston so didn't start today and we really missed that link between attack and midfield
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
HamTown wrote:Sorry I meant Raglan. Long at RWB is probably most likely but Long also played last season at LCB for a few games and was fairly decent

I think the first choice midfield 3 is Chapman/Sercs/Perry but Perry played the full game against Preston so didn't start today and we really missed that link between attack and midfield
Raglan, Boyle and Pollock are the first choice defenders.