Register    Login    Search    FAQ

CTFC.com Official Site Cheltenham Town FC 500 Club

Other Useful Links:     Leo's Blog    Robins Trust    CTFC Chatter    Football Ground Guide    This is Gloucestershire    News Now    CTFC History Site

Board index » THE NEST » CTFC CHAT ONLY

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Would you rather win the Trophy at Wembley or stay up in L1?
Yes - winning another trophy at Wembley is fantastic, more history, and we can always get promoted again  11%  [ 2 ]
No - relegation would be a disaster and a pizza cup is meaningless in comparison  89%  [ 17 ]
Total votes : 19

Post subject: EFL Trophy
 Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021, 12:33 

Our game against Exeter tonight got me thinking…

Top  Share on FacebookShare on Twitter
 Post subject: Re: EFL Trophy
 Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021, 15:34 

Absolutely meaningless unless you fluke your way through to the semis using fringe and youth players. Obvs the £10k per game is handy, but it's handier not getting injuries and picking up league points.

Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021, 16:49 

Shade wrote:
Absolutely meaningless unless you fluke your way through to the semis using fringe and youth players. Obvs the £10k per game is handy, but it's handier not getting injuries and picking up league points.

The question was about would you rather win the final or stay up…not the early rounds.

Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021, 17:28 

Not remotely a contest in my mind. Staying up.

I'm not even convinced I'd even attend the final of the pizza cup. Been to Wembley enough times and do not really see it as a proper trophy, especially since it's been devalued by U23 teams and FL teams fielding babies.

Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021, 17:57 

Staying up for sure but it doesn't diminish my hopes of progressing in the trophy to give youth and fringe players minutes

Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021, 19:27 

RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Shade wrote:

The question was about would you rather win the final or stay up…not the early rounds.

And I answered it in the poll, but the fact the early rounds are meaningless but we fight for every league point answers the question.

Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021, 19:43 

Shade wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Shade wrote:

And I answered it in the poll, but the fact the early rounds are meaningless but we fight for every league point answers the question.

Good point

Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021, 06:48 

Hubert Parry wrote:
Not remotely a contest in my mind. Staying up.

I'm not even convinced I'd even attend the final of the pizza cup. Been to Wembley enough times and do not really see it as a proper trophy, especially since it's been devalued by U23 teams and FL teams fielding babies.

The only reason I'd go is because my boy would want to go to Wembley.

Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021, 14:51 

I think if we were an established League One side with little to no chance of promotion or relegation then yes go for it, who wouldn't want a day at Wembley in the middle of a mundane season. However, where we are currently, struggling to find our feet at this level and with a thin squad hampered by injuries then definitely its League as the priority for me.

Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021, 10:18 

That's a good point. I remember being more interested in this competition in the days when we were destined for another 14th placed finished in League 2, before the group stage format came in, of course. It's good for that and getting game time into players that haven't played much.

Also, as was mentioned on the radio the other night, if it wasn't for this competition, MD might never have tried the 3-5-2 formation and beaten Arsenal U23's (whichever team we subsequently tried it against may have won easily and it would have been abandoned), and we may never have ended up getting promoted - MD might have been sacked 4 or 5 games later! Sliding doors...

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Board index » THE NEST » CTFC CHAT ONLY