Cheltenham Town v Rotherham United

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Team news, live updates and reaction all here this afternoon: https://bit.ly/RotherhamH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Chance to see how Freestone (and maybe, later, Chapman) does at left back in Hussey’s absence. A newborn baby disrupting sleep is not going to help Hussey get any faster so a good opportunity to test the alternatives today.
CTFCfan99
Much better than Tuesday but still not much to shout about. To be expected with half the team out I guess.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Rotherham going fourth, two points behind Wigan and Sunderland.

Remember that Rotherham were two mins from survival in the Championship and may well have survived if Derby had been properly punished. They are another side we shouldn’t really have a chance against.

We have now played seven of the top nine with this record:
Wigan away - loss
Sunderland away - loss
Rotherham home - loss
MK Dons home - draw
Wycombe home - loss
Burton away - draw
Oxford home - win

Our other four games were against sides below us:
Ipswich home - win
Fleetwood away - loss
Crewe away - draw
Charlton away - win

As long as we keep picking up points against the teams more at our level, we will be fine.
Last edited by RegencyCheltenhamSpa on 02 Oct 2021, 16:13, edited 1 time in total.
CTFCfan99
Quite glad the Pompey game is off, we need a bit of a break.
Hubert Parry
Agree with everything posted.

Would have been nice to have got through this run of fixtures a bit more competitively but we got what was expected. Time on the training ground and rest is important now.
Shade
Very glad next weeks game is off. It's obvious to say but the sooner we get Raglan and Boyle back the better. With Long at right back and Blair pushed further forward, as he was for the last 20 mins or so today and caused some panic with his pace off the ball, the better we will be.

Lack of quality again today but against the opposition we have played (even if Sunderland got battered today) and the injuries we have it's really bot a huge surprise. The most excitement we got was the near punch-up at the back of the Colin Farmer at full time.
CTFCfan99
Shout out to Barkers by the way, thought he was our best player today.
Shade
CTFCfan99 wrote:Shout out to Barkers by the way, thought he was our best player today.
Absolutely. He looked the most composed pkayer on the pitch on the ball, and given he was sitting on Alvechirch's bench a couple of weeks ago that's quite impressive.

Flinders should get a mention for a couple of great saves in the first half. Not sure he could have done that much better with the first goal really. He saw it very late, greasy surface.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:Very glad next weeks game is off. It's obvious to say but the sooner we get Raglan and Boyle back the better. With Long at right back and Blair pushed further forward, as he was for the last 20 mins or so today and caused some panic with his pace off the ball, the better we will be.

Lack of quality again today but against the opposition we have played (even if Sunderland got battered today) and the injuries we have it's really bot a huge surprise. The most excitement we got was the near punch-up at the back of the Colin Farmer at full time.
Where was the punch up? And what happened?
Shade
Back of block 3. Just an absolute know-all gobshite who, when he isn't shouting his bile, never stops talking utter c!#p loudly enough for everyone to hear, abusing our players, swearing non-stop with several small kids in the area, trying to let everyone know he is the oracle, despite the fact he doesn't even know some of the players names and some of the stuff he says is schoolboy knowledge at best. Idiot can't control his anger. The kind of guy that goes to the effoet to turn his back when the players take a knee. Today he crossed the line, "what are you clapping for, f**king p****s. F**king nonces". Carried on all game and got a mouthful back when he had some unsavoury words for Norton at the end when he went down. Then he started abusing the fans around him. Spoke to a couple of people after who are writing complaints about him. Hopefully he won't be there next match.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:Back of block 3. Just an absolute know-all gobshite who, when he isn't shouting his bile, never stops talking utter c!#p loudly enough for everyone to hear, abusing our players, swearing non-stop with several small kids in the area, trying to let everyone know he is the oracle, despite the fact he doesn't even know some of the players names and some of the stuff he says is schoolboy knowledge at best. Idiot can't control his anger. The kind of guy that goes to the effoet to turn his back when the players take a knee. Today he crossed the line, "what are you clapping for, f**king p****s. F**king nonces". Carried on all game and got a mouthful back when he had some unsavoury words for Norton at the end when he went down. Then he started abusing the fans around him. Spoke to a couple of people after who are writing complaints about him. Hopefully he won't be there next match.
Sounds awful. If it makes him that angry, then staying away is probably best for him whether enforced or not.
Benctfc
I was a bit disappointed in the performance. I can accept losing to a better team like for example when we played Wycombe earlier in the season at home but unlike in that game we didnt really challenge them today. In my opinion I expect a more attacking intent when we are at home. I would say Flinders was man of the match and we lost 2-0 so that tells its own story.

My biggest concern would be our attacking play. As much as we miss Raglan and Boyle they aren't going to do much going forward. We cant seem to find a a way to get May and Joseph in the game and our midfielders dont look like scoring. I can barely remember an opposition keeper making a save in the last 3 games.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Benctfc wrote:I was a bit disappointed in the performance. I can accept losing to a better team like for example when we played Wycombe earlier in the season at home but unlike in that game we didnt really challenge them today. In my opinion I expect a more attacking intent when we are at home. I would say Flinders was man of the match and we lost 2-0 so that tells its own story.

My biggest concern would be our attacking play. As much as we miss Raglan and Boyle they aren't going to do much going forward. We cant seem to find a a way to get May and Joseph in the game and our midfielders dont look like scoring. I can barely remember an opposition keeper making a save in the last 3 games.
Duff said May, Joseph and Perry were all through and clear with 1-on-1s whilst it was 0-0 so they must have been in the game.
Shade
They were, and Boyle's distribution and forward runs add a lot to our attack. Also, as I mentioned, having those two back free up Long and Blair to play in what I would say are preferred roles. It could have been 2-2 at the break, to be honest. We had the clearer chances but poor finishing, they had the most opportunities with better attempts. Second half, we had a few breaks forward but most of the game was in the middle and our thirds with the ball just not sticking, Rotherham constantly falling on the second balls. Our midfield was nowhere, tbh. Sercombe, particularly, was second best to his opposition. May was actually sent away on 3 or 4 occasions, only once I remember taking the correct option and missing with his shot. The other times he should have laid the ball off to Joseph, Perry or Blair. Joseph was quiet but completely shanked the best chance of the game with his left foot.
Eastaway
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Shade wrote:Back of block 3. Just an absolute know-all gobshite who, when he isn't shouting his bile, never stops talking utter c!#p loudly enough for everyone to hear, abusing our players, swearing non-stop with several small kids in the area, trying to let everyone know he is the oracle, despite the fact he doesn't even know some of the players names and some of the stuff he says is schoolboy knowledge at best. Idiot can't control his anger. The kind of guy that goes to the effoet to turn his back when the players take a knee. Today he crossed the line, "what are you clapping for, f**king p****s. F**king nonces". Carried on all game and got a mouthful back when he had some unsavoury words for Norton at the end when he went down. Then he started abusing the fans around him. Spoke to a couple of people after who are writing complaints about him. Hopefully he won't be there next match.
Sounds awful. If it makes him that angry, then staying away is probably best for him whether enforced or not.
I have the misfortune to sit within earshot of him also. He called Norton a “f***ing tosser” and generally conducts a running obscene commentary on games. I was proud of the fans who took him on after that and hope that the club reacts appropriately - banning him would improve many people's match days.
Alf
With regard to forward play I thought we may have picked up a couple of tips from Sunderland in the way the man on the ball drew defenders in and then played the ball across the box to players coming late into the box for tap ins. There’s often more than one way to score a gaol.
longmover
Eastaway wrote:
I have the misfortune to sit within earshot of him also. He called Norton a “f***ing tosser” and generally conducts a running obscene commentary on games. I was proud of the fans who took him on after that and hope that the club reacts appropriately - banning him would improve many people's match days.
Why has nothing been done before? Haven't the stewards been made aware of him? Surely there's enough people to stand up against him and have him out.
RedRobin
Eastaway wrote:
I can fully confirm that this happened. Unfortunately I sit just in front of this guy and he is very unpleasant. As has been said every week he uses foul language. On Saturday he started attacking Christian Norton when he as down injured at the end of the game - calling him a “f***ing tosser”. A number of us decided to voice our objections to this; at which point he started to direct his abuse at us, telling us to f-off, and calling us w****rs. I told him directly that this was totally unacceptable.

I will be contacting the club today - and I would very much encourage everyone that was in earshot to do the same. I very much hope the club will act as racism, repeated use of foul language and abuse has no place at our club.
Shade
longmover wrote:
Eastaway wrote:
Why has nothing been done before? Haven't the stewards been made aware of him? Surely there's enough people to stand up against him and have him out.
I think it's a case of he has been just about tolerated, passion of the game, etc, but now he has overstepped the mark and pushed it too far. I've tried saying things to him before to try and calm him down a bit but he just completely blanks me - maybe because I'm about a foot taller than him and he's all mouth. Other people in front of him have said stuff and they get told...how wrong they are...
longmover
I take he's there on his 'own'
Shade
longmover wrote:I take he's there on his 'own'
Usually with a friend, but he's nowhere near as bad and slinked out on Saturday quietly apologising for him. He's, 50+, btw, which makes it worse that he acts this way, imo.
mogster72
I have the misfortune to sit within earshot of him also. He called Norton a “f***ing tosser” and generally conducts a running obscene commentary on games. I was proud of the fans who took him on after that and hope that the club reacts appropriately - banning him would improve many people's match days.[/quote]

I can fully confirm that this happened. Unfortunately I sit just in front of this guy and he is very unpleasant. As has been said every week he uses foul language. On Saturday he started attacking Christian Norton when he as down injured at the end of the game - calling him a “f***ing tosser”. A number of us decided to voice our objections to this; at which point he started to direct his abuse at us, telling us to f-off, and calling us w****rs. I told him directly that this was totally unacceptable.

I will be contacting the club today - and I would very much encourage everyone that was in earshot to do the same. I very much hope the club will act as racism, repeated use of foul language and abuse has no place at our club.[/quote]

So I take it you mentioned this to one of the stewards as I am sure if you had, they would have sorted it from the start so you wouldnt have had to endure it for 90mins.
PaulGodfrey
Thank you to those people who have contacted the club by email regarding this matter. It has now been escalated to the Safety Officer, who has contacted those supporters by phone this afternoon. The situation will be monitored closely in future games and appropriate action taken where necessary.
As a general point, please feel free to report any anti-social behaviour to stewards as soon as possible - it is always easier to deal with these things at the time rather than retrospectively. The stewards are in radio contact with the control room so individuals or particular areas of the ground can be monitored with CCTV or by putting stewards nearby.
everyman
PaulGodfrey wrote:Thank you to those people who have contacted the club by email regarding this matter. It has now been escalated to the Safety Officer, who has contacted those supporters by phone this afternoon. The situation will be monitored closely in future games and appropriate action taken where necessary.
As a general point, please feel free to report any anti-social behaviour to stewards as soon as possible - it is always easier to deal with these things at the time rather than retrospectively. The stewards are in radio contact with the control room so individuals or particular areas of the ground can be monitored with CCTV or by putting stewards nearby.
The Safety Officer who ejected me from the ground on a non-match day for looking at the pitch,he will surely ban that offender for life and hopefully impose a period of correction involving having to watch glos. city for a season. ;)