Cheltenham Town v Accrington Stanley

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Team news, live updates and reaction all here this afternoon: https://bit.ly/AccringtonStanleyH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Win!
Nesty
Accrington Stanley? who are they? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6HWNzzR070" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Great to see Boyle back.

With Chapman and Joseph on the bench we have some quality to come on as well rather than bare bones stuff.
CTFCfan99
This game is there for the taking, just not quite happening in the final 3rd so far. Crowley looks some player.
Ben version 4:0
Crowley is a completely different class to everyone else on the pitch.
HamTown
Ben version 4:0 wrote:Crowley is a completely different class to everyone else on the pitch.
Definitely. Hopefully Chapman for Perry means he can be further up the pitch
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ben version 4:0 wrote:Crowley is a completely different class to everyone else on the pitch.
Imagine him and the boy in the same team. Hopefully come next spring.
HamTown
Hussey taking a p!## on the sidelines, never seen that before
HamTown
Great. That felt a really important 3 points

Boyle shows again how important he is

Blair my man of the match
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Fantastic win.
Horteng
Great 3 points. Well done lads. Seems we need to work on corner routines and start to make them count

COYR
Shade
When/where was that?!
Nesty
YYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSS - a great win, sounded like we deserved the points in the end, although we do need to convert a higher % of chances, it might alleviate some of those squeaky bum moments.

It would be nice to think we could keep keep Crowley -

Again sounded like good cameos from Chapman, Barkers and Joseph. It is invaluable to have players on the bench who can come on and make a difference.

Looking at the big picture, we have played some of the big teas and been beaten, and played some of the lesser teams and picked up points. If we carry on like that we will be fine.

COME ON YOU ROBINS !
Shade
We've played 8 of the top half in our 12 games, with injuries. We should be fine.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:We've played 8 of the top half in our 12 games, with injuries. We should be fine.
Yeah. Just hope we have the most players back from injury as possible before we play the bottom half teams. We do not want another Fleetwood.
HamTown
Shade wrote:
When/where was that?!
His composure, always wanting the ball, the ball sticking to his feet, passing/crossing - remember hes also had very little football. Strange that no one had taken him on already.

When was the last time we had a proper decent dribbler of the ball?
Shade
HamTown wrote:
Shade wrote:
When/where was that?!
His composure, always wanting the ball, the ball sticking to his feet, passing/crossing - remember hes also had very little football. Strange that no one had taken him on already.

When was the last time we had a proper decent dribbler of the ball?
Sorry, I meant to quote about Hussey having a pee! Crowley was a different class, I agree.
HamTown
Oh right! It was when Boyle was down injured. I doubt anyone even noticed around him just the camera focussed in on him for a seemingly looong time
longmover
Boyle and Crowley are such a calming influence to the rest of the squad, there seemed to be a composure to the rest of the team not the uneasiness or panic of the last few games. They way Crowley turns away from a player and finds space is another level.

Props to Vassell as well for properly winding up Pell and Sykes, as soon as the Pell antics started they new Vassell was a threat.
Robin
Shade wrote:We've played 8 of the top half in our 12 games, with injuries. We should be fine.
They may be a small club but Accrington finished top half last season and are hoping to repeat that. Yesterday we showed we are on a par if not slightly better than them, should our aspirations be higher than avoiding a relegation scrap - especially given we have not been anywhere near the bottom four so far?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:
They may be a small club but Accrington finished top half last season and are hoping to repeat that. Yesterday we showed we are on a par if not slightly better than them, should our aspirations be higher than avoiding a relegation scrap - especially given we have not been anywhere near the bottom four so far?
Some (i.e. me) have been clear in our view from the start of the season that relegation should not be a real concern of fans. As I have repeated a lot, in my view Duff would add 15 points to any team in the division. So if we need 50 points to stay up that means the players have to be 35 points quality, which I believe they are. I reckon a normal manager would get our squad close to 50 points which means with Duff we would get over 60.

Yes the loss of Wright did make me more pessimistic but I still do not think we will ever be battling in the mire - just needing to look over our shoulder a bit more than we would with Wright steering us to a top 14 finish. Crowley might be the man to do that now though. I would be pleased with another record being beaten and bettering our best ever finish of 17th.
Alf
It will take time, with new players, to settle to the pattern of play which Duff favours.
Saturday was a step in the right direction, looking like a team plus some good individual performances.
I think we’ll progress slowly but surely as long as we don’t keep picking up injuries.
Shade
It was clear Accrington weren't at the same level as our previous 4 opponents (not including Exeter in the pizza cup) and to be honest, other than keeping the clean sheet, I don't think it was that different from our previous matches, apart from two big players coming into the team. Crowley made a big difference in the way he was able to retain possession and get us on the front foot, added a whole new dimension to our game - what a huge bonus it is to not be passing back to the defence or goalkeeper and to be able to immediately get another 10/15+ yards up the pitch and maintain pressure as he turns from facing his goal on the half way line to being 30 yards out in the blink of an eye with an opposition player sat on his arse wondering where he's gone. Less time in our own half passing it around and being pressed, more time putting the pressure on. Boyle's return was as important as expected as well and, ultimately, his ever-increasing attacking ability led to Vassell having one of the easier finishes of his career. We'll see what we can do at home against the likes of Wigan and Sunderland, but this last game was just further proof that those aren't the games that will decide our season.

On another note, Sunderland hammer us 5-0, then go and get destroyed 4-0 by Portsmouth. Portsmouth call off their game against us and then get hammered 4-1 at Rotherham. Still believe it wouldn't have been 5 if the players turned up actually believing they could have got something from the game at Sunderland (2-0 defeats to Wigan and Rotherham appear to not be terrible results) but it shows anyone can get a tanking in this division on any given day.
Robin
It feels like there is a mini league for five or six who are noticeably better than the rest in this division (Sunderland, Wigan, Rotherham, MK Franchise and possibly Wycombe/Ipswich/Sheff Wed), the rest we can compete with but those games anything may be a bonus this season.
longmover
Robin wrote:It feels like there is a mini league for five or six who are noticeably better than the rest in this division (Sunderland, Wigan, Rotherham, MK Franchise and possibly Wycombe/Ipswich/Sheff Wed), the rest we can compete with but those games anything may be a bonus this season.
Ipswich play very well for 20mins thing is a football match is 90+, we're not far away from November now and until Cook leaves nothing looks like changing for them.