Portsmouth v Cheltenham Town

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Shade
Hubert Parry wrote:He'll Cruyff on the line, he'll Cruyff on the line, Daniel Crowley, he'll Cruyff on the line.
:lol: he'll give me a coronary, he'll give me a coronary...

He will probably do something stupid now but Grant Horton is going to be a very good player I think.

Freestone needs to calm down. Looks panicky now.
Shade
Oooh, real time that looked like Blair was taken out.
Hubert Parry
It looked pretty suspect, much like Flinders' kicking.
Shade
Alfie has been very good tonight. If he isn't missing chances he's alright :lol:
Hubert Parry
Good result all things considered.
Shade
I'll take that point but what could have been if Vassell didn't have a shocker, slipping for that sitter and inadvertently blocking Crowley's goal-bound effort.
Hubert Parry
Meh. Portsmouth had their chances too. Fair result.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Well battled for the point. Pull a point further away from the teams who didn’t play and who we had a game in hand on. Was vital not to waste the game in hand.

Fleetwood and Morecambe losing good for us.
Shade
By the way, I think Portsmouth would almost certainly have won if they had have gone ahead with the game when it was originally scheduled for. We were on a terrible run at the time and they were coming off the back of a big win, IIRC.
Last edited by Shade on 02 Nov 2021, 21:52, edited 1 time in total.
HamTown
May MoTM for me
Flinders Jekyl and Hyde with some great saves and woeful kicking
Horton would love to see some more of him
Cowley nice cameo
Vassell will probably fall down an open man hole cover on the way to the coach - was just that sort of day for him
CTFCfan99
Kinda wish we'd pushed a bit harder for a winner, they weren't that great. Always take a point away at a team like Portsmouth though.
asl
Meant to say: the official Facebook page listed Thomas as captain when it posted the team sheet. I thought Sercombe was our captain?
Robin
Fair result between two evenly matched teams. Freestone is a marmite player for me, scored the goal defended well but then always appears to have a mistake in him like the headed clearance which almost put them in on goal. Thought Sercombe, May and Blair were very good for us and at the heart of our passing and movement in the first half.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Fair result between two evenly matched teams. Freestone is a marmite player for me, scored the goal defended well but then always appears to have a mistake in him like the headed clearance which almost put them in on goal. Thought Sercombe, May and Blair were very good for us and at the heart of our passing and movement in the first half.
Like Boyle and Tozer then. Especially the latter where it was heart in mouth every time the ball went back to him as last man. Boyle has rounded off his head from a 20p to 50p, hopefully Freestone does the same.

Have we now had two Freestone’s score for us? I wonder how many clubs have that honour.
horlickfanclub
Chapman was poor on their goal. Wrong side and slow to stop the cross. Crowley sparked things up.Should have started.
longmover
According to their message boards Eisner (the owner) is sucking the life out of the club :lol:

Be careful what you wish for ;)
Si Robin
horlickfanclub wrote:Chapman was poor on their goal. Wrong side and slow to stop the cross. Crowley sparked things up.Should have started.
Easy to say that, but he's had no pre-season and played on Saturday.
HamTown
Si Robin wrote:
horlickfanclub wrote:Chapman was poor on their goal. Wrong side and slow to stop the cross. Crowley sparked things up.Should have started.
First half the midfield did very well and no doubt Doncaster away is still on Duff's mind. Think it proved right to not start Crowley
Shade
HamTown wrote:
Si Robin wrote:
First half the midfield did very well and no doubt Doncaster away is still on Duff's mind. Think it proved right to not start Crowley
I'd agree with that, and bringing Crowley on in the second half gave Portsmouth something different to worry about.
Fuller
Surely Crowley will be off for bigger and better things in January, a rare talent at his level, really took the pressure off the defence at times, and always likely to create a chance out of not a lot.
Robin
Fuller wrote:Surely Crowley will be off for bigger and better things in January, a rare talent at his level, really took the pressure off the defence at times, and always likely to create a chance out of not a lot.
You say that but did you see his non-performance at Doncaster (along with the rest of the midfield in fairness)? He was OK vs Wednesday and very good vs Morecambe so I would not be shocked at all to see him stay longer.
Hubert Parry
Crowley is with us for a reason.

He is capable of doing outrageous things and he is a delight to watch. However, his game offers little off the ball or defensively. The higher up the leagues you go, the harder this is to accommodate.
horlickfanclub
I must have been watching a different game. He chased and closed down constantly when he came on and running off the ball to be available is noticeable. Too many negative Managers about.
Hubert Parry
It's not a negative necessarily, but note Duff's comments after the Morecambe game:

"Dan Crowley will get the headlines because of his football ability, but the other three don't half have to work hard to allow him to do what he does and that doesn't go unnoticed from my point of view."

Maybe Duff will coach the defensive stuff into him, but there is a reason he is at Cheltenham.
paperboy
Dan Crowley is a big crowd pleaser and I enjoy watching him.
We only went back in for him after Taylor Perry and Callum's injuries.
He's only here until Xmas so he'll really have to pull up trees to be offered an extension if the two loanees get back to fitness.
horlickfanclub
The other three have to work hard because thats what they can do.They cannot replicate Crowley. You need variety in the team and we are the better for it. Grealish does the same for England and Rice and Johnson do what they do.I think the Manager might have been trying to spread credit .
Hubert Parry
There is a reason why Southgate was reluctant to play Grealish and it comes down to tactical discipline. It is important to accommodate that as part of any system. It is one of the many reasons OGS is struggling at Manchester United. He hasn't been able to find a system to accommodate several 'luxury' players.

These are not criticisms of Crowley, Grealish or anyone, but to make the most of their many talents, you have to compensate elsewhere.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
horlickfanclub wrote:The other three have to work hard because thats what they can do.They cannot replicate Crowley. You need variety in the team and we are the better for it. Grealish does the same for England and Rice and Johnson do what they do.I think the Manager might have been trying to spread credit .
No one is disputing that or criticising Crowley. He is good at what he does. You have to be exceptional to progress up the leagues as a luxury player. Grealish is so good that Pep thinks he is worth buying even if he is less disciplined. Who knows how high Crowley could go….but this summer no one higher than us wanted him.

Crowley is a quality player to have, but there will be times when the system and match situation require a different type of player.

It’s a squad game.
CTFCfan99
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
horlickfanclub wrote:The other three have to work hard because thats what they can do.They cannot replicate Crowley. You need variety in the team and we are the better for it. Grealish does the same for England and Rice and Johnson do what they do.I think the Manager might have been trying to spread credit .
No one is disputing that or criticising Crowley. He is good at what he does. You have to be exceptional to progress up the leagues as a luxury player. Grealish is so good that Pep thinks he is worth buying even if he is less disciplined. Who knows how high Crowley could go….but this summer no one higher than us wanted him.

Crowley is a quality player to have, but there will be times when the system and match situation require a different type of player.

It’s a squad game.
Think that sums it up perfectly tbh.