Second round draw

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
These are your numbers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59204947" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

25 please Bob.
ctfc-fan
AFC Wimbledon away
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Winnable at least. Third Round all to play for.
Shade
Confirmation that the draw Gods have decided we had enough goodness last season.
ctfc-fan
We gotta beat that thugs team yet….
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
ctfc-fan wrote:We gotta beat that thugs team yet….
Indeed. This shows it is worth beating them though.

As for the draw gods….it is often after niggly, close, and distasteful early rounds which unlock the big games.

Last year it was Crewe and Mansfield.

Before Newcastle it was that trip to Chester.

Before Spurs it was Tranmere away and Luton away.

Let’s make sure we add Gillingham and Wimbledon to the list.
Artemis
Before Everton at home, it was Yate at home, then Hereford home and then away
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Artemis wrote:Before Everton at home, it was Yate at home, then Hereford home and then away
Yes, a more rare occasion of easier/nicer draws compared to the other examples. Which is why I didn’t include them, nor the Hinckley etc draw before West Brom.
Si Robin
I'd argue the Kettering, Hinckley, Oldham, Burnley, West Brom run was the most frustrating we've had.

Only Cheltenham could get to the 5th round of the FA cup and not draw a single Premier League team.

Forgotten in the Newcastle run was Oxford home and away in the 2nd round, and Carlisle at home in the 1st Round before the home and away games against Chester in the 3rd.
Artemis
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Artemis wrote:Before Everton at home, it was Yate at home, then Hereford home and then away
Yes, a more rare occasion of easier/nicer draws compared to the other examples. Which is why I didn’t include them, nor the Hinckley etc draw before West Brom.
That Hereford tie wasn't exactly a walk in the park. A tasty pair of encounters if I remember. Trying to find somewhere to watch the replay in London was a tricky task too. Somewhere on the Strand had it on in the end.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Artemis wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
That Hereford tie wasn't exactly a walk in the park. A tasty pair of encounters if I remember. Trying to find somewhere to watch the replay in London was a tricky task too. Somewhere on the Strand had it on in the end.
Non-leaguers at home in a TV game. Pretty sweet for a round 2 clash, no matter how easy or hard the game. Even if we lost we had the TV money which was useful. Whereas if we lose to Gillingham or Wimbledon we will feel there was no point to it.
Artemis
Both games in that tie were televised (has that ever happened to us before, and then of course the 3rd round TV game too). So I take the point about the tie's financial benefits. But I still maintain it wasn't an easy tie to be drawn against Hereford and so it proved.
As Yates said after the replay "When the draw was made, I said we wanted someone from the league below at home, but the worst team we could have got was Hereford."
Si Robin
The replay wasn't on tv. I didn't have espn, but I would definitely have found a stream if it was. I remember having to follow it on radio and JP's text updates
QED
The Hereford games were rotten. I drove up from London for the replay and it took about five hours thanks to an accident in the fog on the A417. Froze my balls off in that condemned stand behind the goal, and if the freezing fog had rolled in an hour earlier, it would have been called off.

Still one of my favourite memories of watching us away when Prison’s Kaid Mohamed put the winner in.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
QED wrote:The Hereford games were rotten. I drove up from London for the replay and it took about five hours thanks to an accident in the fog on the A417. Froze my balls off in that condemned stand behind the goal, and if the freezing fog had rolled in an hour earlier, it would have been called off.

Still one of my favourite memories of watching us away when Prison’s Kaid Mohamed put the winner in.
Yeah the fog was awful. I got the train down from Newcastle and got picked up straight from the station and we set off. Bog all pre-match food options in Hereford and we ended up taking a McDonald’s in to the ground. The steward on the gate said “you’ve been here before” when we showed him our food.
Shade
QED wrote: Prison’s Kaid Mohamed
:lol: