Bob Hunt

Talk about other football teams at all levels. AND ANY Glos City related threads, even if talking about the groundsharing.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Reginald
Announced on local BBC that he's retiring. A bit of a character. Did a bit of cricket on the radio too, I think.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Not really heard much of his football commentary but for me Bob has been the ‘Sound of Summer’ for many years. Whether listening to Glos commentaries at the desk, at the allotment, at home or on holiday, Bob has been synonymous.

Great that he got to talk us through another One Day triumph a few years back and that he got to be there for promotion to Div 1 last season.

It will be interesting to see who replaces him. The BBC always use one or two commentators from each side, and Bob was always a great counterweight to, and fought back against, the plebs from the likes of Kent and Essex who were typically ignorant and patronising to the Shire. Big boots to fill!
Hubert Parry
I wish him a happy retirement. It is fair to say that he was not to my taste but he clearly was to others.
Shade
Strange, I always thought he came across as though he knew bugger all compared to the opposition commentators. But that extended to football as well as cricket. He didn't seem to know what was going on most of the time, and was regularly being corrected by his son when I would hear them talking about the FGR game to come at about 2:40pm on a Saturday.

However, I also wish him a happy retirement. He's done his sentence, especially the last couple of years having to deal with Cooper.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:Strange, I always thought he came across as though he knew bugger all compared to the opposition commentators. But that extended to football as well as cricket. He didn't seem to know what was going on most of the time, and was regularly being corrected by his son when I would hear them talking about the FGR game to come at about 2:40pm on a Saturday.

However, I also wish him a happy retirement. He's done his sentence, especially the last couple of years having to deal with Cooper.
My comment about him and other commentators was less about knowledge of detail and more about him standing his ground when commentators from the entitled and arrogant teams. E.g. Some muppet from a different county says something like “amazing that a team like Gloucestershire, which is basically an amateur team who shouldn’t be playing, is able to compete in the top half of Div 2, especially with no players anyone has heard of or who would get in to other teams”. And then Bob puts them to rights.
Shade
Ha. Fair enough.