Taking the knee

Talk about other football teams at all levels. AND ANY Glos City related threads, even if talking about the groundsharing.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

ctfc-fan
Newport County to investigate why teams did not take knee before Tranmere game https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54587533" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I’m a bit confused by this. It’s an optional gesture that IMO should not be forced on teams. As it’s classed as a political matter/statement, how does it differ from the poppy issue where teams were told they could not wear them as they were a political statement?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
ctfc-fan wrote:Newport County to investigate why teams did not take knee before Tranmere game https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54587533" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I’m a bit confused by this. It’s an optional gesture that IMO should not be forced on teams. As it’s classed as a political matter/statement, how does it differ from the poppy issue where teams were told they could not wear them as they were a political statement?
Is it classed as a political statement or a human rights/equality/racism statement (which are not political)?

I agree it it is optional, but if people don’t do it is useful to understand why - they may have good points for others to consider, or they may learn things from others.
ctfc-fan
Well according to Wikipedia it’s a decentralised political and social movement.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
ctfc-fan wrote:Well according to Wikipedia it’s a decentralised political and social movement.
The BLM organisation and entity is, correct.

Making a gesture against discrimination and on human rights is not. The Marxist and anarchist extremists of the BLM organisation do not own exclusivity on taking a knee or anti-racism statements.
ctfc-fan
So how long do you think it should go on for, forever? You say if someone doesn’t do it we should understand why, however there are a lot of high profile black people that think it should stop now.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
ctfc-fan wrote:So how long do you think it should go on for, forever? You say if someone doesn’t do it we should understand why, however there are a lot of high profile black people that think it should stop now.
I don’t know. It depends if the EPL and EFL agree to use it with their new campaign. The Premier League launched a new campaign this weekend, which during the half time break of the Everton-Liverpool game featured a longish and well produce advert/video featuring lots of players backing the campaign. If they agree that taking a knee is part of that then so be it. If they think it is time to stop taking a knee and concentrating on their new campaign then so be it.

If the trend of growing racist abuse of players on social media makes those players want to keep taking the knee in response then so be it. And if their team mates also want to then so be that too. Its not really for anyone outside the game to comment on really.

The danger is they just stop, fans think racism is solved and then no one reports racist abuse to stewards when fans are allowed back in or calls out racists on social media and we are back to square one.

So I will leave it to the players who are on the end of the abuse to do what they think is best in terms of how long they want to keep taking the knee for.
Shade
Maybe they simply did like Rashford for England last week and forgot all about it. It's having less impact every week it goes on, a lot like lockdown/restrictions - people get bored of, and ignore, it.