Afcon tragedy

Talk about other football teams at all levels. AND ANY Glos City related threads, even if talking about the groundsharing.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Sadly, the all round general amateurism creating farce on the pitch has now led to the tragic loss of life off it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-60120367
asl
Death-toll has doubled overnight... The most shocking thing is that the match went ahead. Can you imagine the FA telling Liverpool and Forest to get out there in 1989?

Edit: at the back of my mind when I typed that, I wondered about Heysel and just double-checked and that match was played after 39 deaths and 600 injuries.
longmover
The whole competition seems very amateurish, players being allowed to play on after being knocked out, LB playing in goal because he looked the best in training, teams down to nine men, refs blowing up five minutes early, pitches looking atrocious and now this awful loss of life. I can see now why some prem teams didn't allow players to compete its just not worth it. Obviously resources have a major factor as some countries have far superior set ups than others but this really isn't good for this competition credibility going forward.
KiaraKiwa
Games are tough.Yesterday was difficult for Ivory Coast.
Salah and Egypt are just lucky.They won't get to the semis.