Microsoft Windows 10 Update.

WARNING: This section may contain jokes or topics of an offensive nature.
Recommended for over 18's only. Send Admin a PM to request exclusion.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Malabus
Doesn't work, how is it for you?
Windows 10 is consistent as being problematic.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I probably lose half a day a week of billable time due to Windows 10 background processes and automatic updates which you can no longer disable. Atrocious software.
Red Duke
I am running Windows 10 and I can't say I have had any issues.
Shade
I use only Mac's these days, at work and home. I've almost forgotten the amount of time lost on Windows, and all the frustration, over the years. However, I hate other Apple products and much prefer android phones.
Ihearye
Not a great fan of Windows 10. There again, which MS release has ever been an improvement of late?
As for Apple, have an inherent, dislike of any Apple product and their ongoing effort to make us dependent on them and their products.
Shade
Me too, but I like the fact I don't have to wait for my computer to dick around for 20 minutes every day and then have a think about what it's doing anytime I try and open a program.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
If someone could make hardware and and OS which started up as quickly and smoothly as Apple machines and had a licence for all Office software with full functionality and integration with Windows that would be a winner for me.

So annoying when someone messes up word document formatting or excel formula as they open it on a Mac, or they can’t use the Skype functionality in a video conference due to being on a Mac.

So many businesses locked into having to use poor machines and OS in order to access software.
asl
Makes me laugh when, every drama on TV, the cops open up a Windows-based laptop and it fires up instantly, and is usually already logged in without a password. I'd like to see them do that with mine immediately following the application of a monthly rollup patch...they'd never find where I planted the bomb or my secret money trail through multiple off-shore shell companies or those incriminating emails that prove I had motive to kill my wife or...or...
Red Duke
I thought I would check how long it takes for my two laptops to start up. I have one that is one year old and the other is about 3 years old. The new takes about 10 secs to get the password page and another 20 seconds to open up Outlook.

However the 3 year old takes about 5 mins or so before it is ready and programs can be slow to respond.
However it was installed with Windows 7 before I updated it to Windows 10 which was a mistake. The spec is just not up to it.

The lesson is use the OS system that fits the spec of the computer and ignore the nagging from Microsoft to update to the latest version.
Ihearye
my windows m/c takes a matter of seconds ...... I never turn it off until I am away for the weekend and don't mind waiting in updates
Malabus
Ihearye wrote:my windows m/c takes a matter of seconds ...... I never turn it off until I am away for the weekend and don't mind waiting in updates
Not a question about speed; the problem is you cannot connect to MS update server.

A bug maybe the problem.

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/wind ... or-message" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-1 ... fts-fault/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ctfc-fan
Try Linux instead.
Malabus
ctfc-fan wrote:Try Linux instead.
For gaming!!
ctfc-fan
Malabus wrote:
ctfc-fan wrote:Try Linux instead.
For gaming!!
Operating system too
Shade
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:If someone could make hardware and and OS which started up as quickly and smoothly as Apple machines and had a licence for all Office software with full functionality and integration with Windows that would be a winner for me.

So annoying when someone messes up word document formatting or excel formula as they open it on a Mac, or they can’t use the Skype functionality in a video conference due to being on a Mac.

So many businesses locked into having to use poor machines and OS in order to access software.
You can download Word for Mac, though. Without Word, though, I find it better to have a pdf sent to me and copy the text to a Mac Pages document as it sometimes keeps the formatting. Not often though. There are ways around these things I've learnt over the last 5 or 6 years and it's worth that little bit of hassle for the amount of time it saves overall. Especially when somebody rings up wanting some information and the PC would freeze or take what felt like 5 minutes to bring it up and I'd end up telling them I'd call back with the info.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:If someone could make hardware and and OS which started up as quickly and smoothly as Apple machines and had a licence for all Office software with full functionality and integration with Windows that would be a winner for me.

You can download Word for Mac, though. Without Word, though, I find it better to have a pdf sent to me and copy the text to a Mac Pages document as it sometimes keeps the formatting. Not often though. There are ways around these things I've learnt over the last 5 or 6 years and it's worth that little bit of hassle for the amount of time it saves overall. Especially when somebody rings up wanting some information and the PC would freeze or take what felt like 5 minutes to bring it up and I'd end up telling them I'd call back with the info.
Note what I said about with identical functionality and integration. My wife has a Mac for most of her work but for some things has to use my windows laptop for Word or Excel when the Mac versions don’t have the same functionality as her colleagues Windows PCs.
Shade
What kind of functionality is missing on the Mac version of Word? Just asking as I don't actually use it. We send documents out more than receive so I usually just do it on Pages and then save as .docx or .pdf, depending on what needs to be done with them.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:What kind of functionality is missing on the Mac version of Word? Just asking as I don't actually use it. We send documents out more than receive so I usually just do it on Pages and then save as .docx or .pdf, depending on what needs to be done with them.
Fonts and layouts can get altered, and it doesn’t integrate cleanly with word online.

Most common thing is a colleague’s Mac always changes page numbers in our footers to some weird form of object which is hard to edit or copy and doesn’t automatically update like a footer should do if new sections need to be added. Often causes word to crash on our desktop Dells if we unwittingly try and correct the formatting on a footer someone has ruined on a Mac!
Malabus
Update : Windows updates are now working.