This Saturday's game

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Ben
Making predictions in football is a mugs game, I hardly ever make them but I think we will win v Bury this week coming. Put a sticky on it, I am happy to be wrong and take it on the chin, but I just got a feeling after today that the low water mark has been reached and the tide will turn. I am no lover of Buckle and today has been a farce, but I just have an inkling, a feeling in my waters...

Lets see shall we
longmover
3 - 1
I-Love-CTFC
Comfortable 3-0 win for Bury.
London Exile
I-Love-CTFC wrote:Comfortable 3-0 win for Bury.
Ah yes but Bury are a good side, there'll be no shame in losing to them :(
I-Love-CTFC
London Exile wrote:
Don't forget we have to take the positives.
London Exile
I-Love-CTFC wrote:
London Exile wrote:
Don't forget we have to take the positives.
We won't fault the players effort
Malabus
1-4
London Exile
If or when we go behind I think we could see whaddon road get vocal.
I-Love-CTFC
The players need time to gel.
London Exile
I-Love-CTFC wrote:The players need time to gel.
To be fair he inherited a club going backwards. This is Marks fault, the players aren't listening to his instructions
Ben
Well, there is a whole load of positive!! Same old same old, its Yates its the pitch its Buckle its Baker its loanees, its the youth system, its the older players etc etc

I am going to put my money where my mouth is. I will put £10 of your old fashioned English Sterling on Cheltenham to win this weekend. I have 11-5 with Ladbrokes which will produce £32. Half I will donate to the trust; half I will give to Charity. If I lose then its just a normal bet for me :)

If anyone else wants to get involved (note I have not committed winnings to the club so I can steer clear of controversy!) then please do so.
solihullkev
What absolutely appalling odds.

Odds should be based on probability. Cheltenham have not won any of their last 6. Their performances on that run have been appalling. Bury have lost one of their last 6.

The true odds based on probability must have Cheltenham at 7/2 or more. Equally though Ben, every bookie loves a mug in their book. Suspect Ladbrokes will send you a diary for Xmas.
Ben
Hehehehehehe, that's lovely positivity there Kev.

For your info - odds are not based on probability. Mistake of the absolute novice gamblers. Odds are based on what is likely to make the bookies most money. Thus if I stick £100k on Cheltenham to win this week the odds will change (but the probability of them winning will not).

England always have short odds for winning major tournaments - nothing to do with probability just the amount of losses if, by chance, we did

Good lord Gloucestershire's villages have lost some idiots on this site
Darren Angels budgie
Ben wrote:Hehehehehehe, that's lovely positivity there Kev.

Good lord Gloucestershire's villages have lost some idiots on this site
:lol: how true
BURYFC
Thought I'd make my annual appearance ;)

Lump your money on Cheltenham, we are the masters of ending other teams bad runs!

We managed to scrape a draw against an injury ravaged Stevenage side last time out, having 3 shots on target :x

Our manager is a tool, I'd rather have Buckle, honestly..
solihullkev
Ben - your analysis makes my point then regarding mug punter. You are prepared to take odds well below what they should be. In any event in the market there are better odds to back Cheltenham. I would love to be your bookie as everyone loves a mug, but I suspect with your analysis you are skint by now.

Look out for the diary from Village Idiot bookies.
roy race
BURYFC wrote:Thought I'd make my annual appearance ;)

Lump your money on Cheltenham, we are the masters of ending other teams bad runs!

We managed to scrape a draw against an injury ravaged Stevenage side last time out, having 3 shots on target :x

two odd facts in your post .... 3 shots on target = more than us
Buckle and honesty . Two words you don't often see in the same sentence
Judge_Dreddful
roy race wrote:
BURYFC wrote:Thought I'd make my annual appearance ;)

two odd facts in your post .... 3 shots on target = more than us
Buckle and honesty . Two words you don't often see in the same sentence
I-Love-CTFC
I bet David Flitcroft will have something to say about the pitch. After their game with Stevenage he said: "There's no stability at all. I'm stunned myself. I watched the warm up; every time they've made a pass the earth just moved underneath them. The grass has completely just tore up." Wait till he sees our surface.
Ben
Anyone feeling any more positive now? I still have that feeling in my waters, probably the curry I had last night

COYR
Malabus
Ben wrote:Anyone feeling any more positive now?
Not until the ground share contract is cross shredded.

#GloucesterCityOut
Ben
Ah yes, I forgot that bit in all the excitement. Poor old Buckle being so cruelly victimised when the pitch was to blame.

I hope they replace the cheerleaders tomorrow with a few of this sites' favourites and replace the flags with branches so they can give the pitch a "damn good thrashing"

EDIT:

In fact, I would pay good money to see Malabus, RCS and some of the others in the #letsjustblamesomeone campagin running round the pitch with branches. That would be comedy gold :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
solihullkev
I see with the weight of your money Ben Ladbrokes have pushed us out to 5/2 ! Judge
Ben
Haha Kev, I think you think we are going to win tomorrow. Go on...let yourself go. Put £10 on at those odds and enjoy yourself :)
Educated Bertie
I-Love-CTFC wrote:I bet David Flitcroft will have something to say about the pitch. After their game with Stevenage he said: "There's no stability at all. I'm stunned myself. I watched the warm up; every time they've made a pass the earth just moved underneath them. The grass has completely just tore up." Wait till he sees our surface.
Latest state of the pitch.

http://giphy.com/gifs/soccer-summer-beach-l9edwTXE8zWik
Baggio
Ben wrote:Haha Kev, I think you think we are going to win tomorrow. Go on...let yourself go. Put £10 on at those odds and enjoy yourself :)
Good on ya Ben, nothing wrong with a bit of positivity.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ben wrote:Ah yes, I forgot that bit in all the excitement. Poor old Buckle being so cruelly victimised when the pitch was to blame.

I hope they replace the cheerleaders tomorrow with a few of this sites' favourites and replace the flags with branches so they can give the pitch a "damn good thrashing"

EDIT:

In fact, I would pay good money to see Malabus, RCS and some of the others in the #letsjustblamesomeone campagin running round the pitch with branches. That would be comedy gold :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ben, your misunderstanding of my angst with the pitch is large. Its not about blame - we could be top of the league and my stance would be the same.

And if it was about blame the pitch would not be the most important on the list.

Only urgency is that Gloucester need to have a deal by 31st March so we have a month and a bit to get them off or if not get a lot more cash out of them.

No one wants to see hoofball on a ploughed field ni matter what league or run of form we are in.

And as the board have given no evidence of the net financial benefit I can only assume it is marginal, which makes the whole thing even more pointless.

We have until 31st March to get # GloucesterCityOut then I won't mention it again.
Artemis
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Ben wrote:Ah yes, I forgot that bit in all the excitement. Poor old Buckle being so cruelly victimised when the pitch was to blame.

EDIT:

Ben, your misunderstanding of my angst with the pitch is large. Its not about blame - we could be top of the league and my stance would be the same.

And if it was about blame the pitch would not be the most important on the list.

Only urgency is that Gloucester need to have a deal by 31st March so we have a month and a bit to get them off or if not get a lot more cash out of them.

No one wants to see hoofball on a ploughed field ni matter what league or run of form we are in.

And as the board have given no evidence of the net financial benefit I can only assume it is marginal, which makes the whole thing even more pointless.

We have until 31st March to get # GloucesterCityOut then I won't mention it again.
If we were top of the league and flush with cash, I might consider joining you in wanting better football, and a pitch conducive to a neat passing game. I might even forego my naturally charitable bent consider kicking GC out - note the might. But we're neither flush nor top. Therefore my priority is winning and any securing any additional cash we can get. Plenty of teams win regularly on a poor pitch. Wimbledon did very well out of the field that was literally Plough Lane.
Ben
What is they say about a fool and his money :(

But I enjoyed the game and thought it was a big improvement in terms of spirit and crowd support so hey ho :lol:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Artemis wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:

EDIT:

If we were top of the league and flush with cash, I might consider joining you in wanting better football, and a pitch conducive to a neat passing game. I might even forego my naturally charitable bent consider kicking GC out - note the might. But we're neither flush nor top. Therefore my priority is winning and any securing any additional cash we can get. Plenty of teams win regularly on a poor pitch. Wimbledon did very well out of the field that was literally Plough Lane.
How much additional cash do we actually get?