Deadline Day

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Hubert Parry
One is already confirmed but name to be revealed. I wonder if we will also see a permanent addition?
HamTown
Really curious to see who the permanent addition would be

Surely the confirmed player has to be a CM?
paperboy
Couldn't be Ryan Broom could it?

Not in Posh squad on Saturday ( could have been injured) after spending the season on the subs bench.
They'll only have paid the first installment on his transfer fee so.....

Wishful thinking probably.
Any way we've got Indy who can fill that role anyway.
paperboy
...updated. according to Posh he has gone to Burton on loan.

...and we might have an interest in Vernam from Burton.
Hubert Parry
Not sure why we would have an interest in Vernam? He's more of a winger isn't he? Where has that rumour come from?
Ben3
paperboy wrote:Couldn't be Ryan Broom could it?

Not in Posh squad on Saturday ( could have been injured) after spending the season on the subs bench.

Blimey Broom? No thanks!!

Wouldn't make the first team now and I can't see him making an impact from the bench. We need better than that!!!
longmover
Broom and Eisa destined to be offloaded to a league two club for next season then, well done peterborough, forever a league one club.
Malabus
Loan signing from premiership, Leicester City.*

*JP tweet.
Si Robin
Ben3 wrote:

Wouldn't make the first team now and I can't see him making an impact from the bench. We need better than that!!!
I mean, he would quite literally walk into the first 11, but ok.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ben3 wrote:

“The Welsh Winchester”, as he is known.
Shade
:lol: As much as I criticised him for going missing for long periods last season, he is what we are missing, someone to provide that moment or two moments in a game to change the 0-0's and 1-1's into wins.

Then again, we had too many draws last season as well.
Hubert Parry
I do sometimes wonder whether Blair could perform that function.
Shade
I'm sure he could and, if I'm not wrong, that's mainly what he was being signed for before the extent of Long's injury became clear. I might have imagined that, though.
I said a few weeks ago we need to get Blair forward as he has a decent shot on him, based on the two or three he has scored from right back so far.
little mo
Hubert Parry wrote:Not sure why we would have an interest in Vernam? He's more of a winger isn't he? Where has that rumour come from?
Gone to Bradford now.
Malabus
Broom to Burton Albion.
Shade
Permanent striker signing before 11pm is still a possibility, apparently.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Hubert Parry wrote:I do sometimes wonder whether Blair could perform that function.
Me too. When Long is back it would be good to see Blair pushed further forward.

Blair and Sercombe would be quite something in the midfield three.
horlickfanclub
Long has been back a few weeks. just not picked to start.
Shade
Yeah he's back but obviously not fit enough to do more than 20 minutes at the moment. A break now of another 2 weeks isn't going to help him get his match fitness back.
Ben3
Si Robin wrote:
Ben3 wrote:

I mean, he would quite literally walk into the first 11, but ok.

Hehehe, here we go. How is it that every player who leaves us is the worlds greatest player...but cannot make any success at the dizzying heights of FGR, Peterborough etc?

Broom wasn't that good. He did some good things sometimes. And now I presume he'll find his level at burton in League 2
Shade
Rumour that it's Ryan Bowman. Can't see it. Surely Exeter wouldn't let him join us, and we couldn't afford him.
Hubert Parry
Sounds like we are done.

Clearly the permanent move did not materialize. Curious to know who it was.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:Yeah he's back but obviously not fit enough to do more than 20 minutes at the moment. A break now of another 2 weeks isn't going to help him get his match fitness back.
Any idea what the rules are regarding training during the Covid pause? If Long is allowed to train for two weeks, it means he will be closer to being in contention for a starting place by the time we play again.

As for Bowman....I am amazed at how well he has done on L2. I have referred to him as the ‘Hereford Camel’ ever since the two FA Cup games against Hereford....when Bowman was one of the players giving it large in the pre-match features/build-ups. Happy not to sign him...I would struggle to celebrate a goal if he scored it.
steveinblack
Don't know much about the 3 loan signings but if their respective clubs are happy to send us their players I think it speaks volumes about are way the club are thought about.
Anyway excited to. see who the permanent signing is
Shade
Don't get too excited, JP reported it looks like nothing else is going to happen.
Hubert Parry
Sky sports freelance reporter reporting that bowman deal collapsed.
andgarod
perhaps someone will be released tonight that will allow us to swoop tomorrow
Shade
Nah. There we go, we now know the squad that will get us our first ever football league automatic promotion, and maybe our first ever League title.
Hubert Parry
That rather puts the pressure on the youngsters to shine and/or the existing squad to raise their levels.

Time will tell as to whether that was a successful window or not, we just don't know yet.
Artemis
How long it takes to get Sercombe and Hussey (and maybe Long) back and fully firing again will be the determinant of how successful our season will be. Bowman? Nice to have, but we look devoid of creativity at the moment, especially down the left.
Red Duke
Artemis wrote:How long it takes to get Sercombe and Hussey (and maybe Long) back and fully firing again will be the determinant of how successful our season will be. Bowman? Nice to have, but we look devoid of creativity at the moment, especially down the left.
I agree. Freestone doesn't have the creativity to play LWB but does his best. It is a shame that Ellis Chapman is injured and I think he would have been a good deputy for Hussey.

The postponement of the next two games should be of benefit so that either Hussey or Chapman can be available for selection.
Ihearye
Artemis wrote:How long it takes to get Sercombe and Hussey (and maybe Long) back and fully firing again will be the determinant of how successful our season will be. Bowman? Nice to have, but we look devoid of creativity at the moment, especially down the left.
Not overly concerned about Bowman, as he seems to have been touting himself around a few clubs. Would rather have someone who wants to come to CTFC and not just the highest payer. Of course we all want more money, but that is not the only stimulus in life
Fuller
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55935350" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Presume we were one of the clubs in with a bid.
Not everyone’s cup of tea I know, but I feel he is the sort of player we are missing at the top of the team.
horlickfanclub
Good goalscorer but substandard tattoos.