Summer ruined again already (for cricket fans)

WARNING: This section may contain jokes or topics of an offensive nature.
Recommended for over 18's only. Send Admin a PM to request exclusion.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
So a few hours of looking forward to the summer again until new bombshell news broke this morning.

The Hundred cricket tournament is back with a vengeance. Fixtures and player selections being made today.

I was hoping Covid had killed it off.

Can we not vaccinate ourselves against this mutant variant of the sport?
Shade
:lol:

No way, the ECB aren't going to let a potential new cash cow slip away that easily.
asl
Some of us have only begrudgingly accepted the ODI format...
theidlerich
As one of many GCCC members boycotting the '100 garbage'; I certainly hope it falls flat. Problem being the media coverage will be right in ones face [rather similar to Brexit and Toryism - easily led sheep...etc]. Grass root support is minimal; with most against it. It complicates an already overcrowded - short - season. When crucial games are played in mid to late September it is plainly ridiculous.
I don't mind the 20/20; it is a money spinner to county sides; my personnel distaste is that the majority of 'new' fans watching these games are there solely to consume alcohol in excessive quantities spoiling the enjoyment for others. Having witnessed numerous instances of inebriated idiots causing mayhem, and thereby causing distress to family groups [especially with younger children[, I am less inclined to attend. Better stewarding and quicker ejection of those required - the inebriated ones, not families!
I do however enjoy the atmosphere at Cheltenham where such problems seem to be less.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
theidlerich wrote:As one of many GCCC members boycotting the '100 garbage'; I certainly hope it falls flat. Problem being the media coverage will be right in ones face [rather similar to Brexit and Toryism - easily led sheep...etc]. Grass root support is minimal; with most against it. It complicates an already overcrowded - short - season. When crucial games are played in mid to late September it is plainly ridiculous.
I don't mind the 20/20; it is a money spinner to county sides; my personnel distaste is that the majority of 'new' fans watching these games are there solely to consume alcohol in excessive quantities spoiling the enjoyment for others. Having witnessed numerous instances of inebriated idiots causing mayhem, and thereby causing distress to family groups [especially with younger children[, I am less inclined to attend. Better stewarding and quicker ejection of those required - the inebriated ones, not families!
I do however enjoy the atmosphere at Cheltenham where such problems seem to be less.
At Chester-le-Street they often have a family/alcohol free stand, which I try and get tickets for; most recently the England vs NZ group game in the World Cup. It makes the whole thing more enjoyable without the intolerable louts ruining it.

But yes, I also hope the Hundred fails and crashes and burns miserably. There is no team fot me to support or be interested in.
theidlerich
Similar at Bristol; the "family" stand - in fact the area where I normally reside - is for families. However the good intention never materialises; due to poor stewarding and a reluctance to chuck out loud, foul mouthed, alcohol fuelled scumbags! Especially so in the floodlight games; which is rather late for some youngsters and even some oldies!
I have yet to venture to the far north to see DurhamCCC; I gather it is well thought of and a delightful venue.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
theidlerich wrote:Similar at Bristol; the "family" stand - in fact the area where I normally reside - is for families. However the good intention never materialises; due to poor stewarding and a reluctance to chuck out loud, foul mouthed, alcohol fuelled scumbags! Especially so in the floodlight games; which is rather late for some youngsters and even some oldies!
I have yet to venture to the far north to see DurhamCCC; I gather it is well thought of and a delightful venue.
View of the Castle and fringes of the North Pennines. Only bettered in vista and outlook by the College Chapel and the Cotswolds in my limited experience of cricket grounds.

Glos will be venturing further North this season. The Royal London One Day Cup match away at Durham is being played in Newcastle, at the famous ‘South North’ club. Formally known as the South Northumberland CC. So not in Durham and never has been but that’s by the by.

Despite just playing Club leagues South North are better than the Northumberland CCC minor county team; in fact county players often withdraw from Minor County Championship games to play for South North if they have an important national cup game of some sort.

One link to the Shire is that Marcus North, former Glos batter was CEO of South North a few years ago, not sure if he still is.

A cricinfo piece on South North here: https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/sout ... me-1182613" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am checking twice daily for ticket news. I have to be at the game when Glos visit this summer.