Open top bus tour

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Robin
Can we actually have one this year? If so, presumably it has to happen after May 17th once the COVID restrictions have been lifted.
Malabus
Should Ruben Reid and Addai be on it?
Horteng
It would be an outdoor event so I cannot see a problem as long as people are sensible and spread out
asl
Horteng wrote:as long as people are sensible and spread out
Therein lies the entire root of the problem in which we find ourselves.
paperboy
Malabus wrote:Should Ruben Reid and Addai be on it?
Yes.

Addai is still our contracted player . Incidentally he wasn't in the Solihull squad at the weekend.

Reuben- He contributed as did Eliott Bonds before his injury.
Jerry St Clair
Robin wrote:Can we actually have one this year? If so, presumably it has to happen after May 17th once the COVID restrictions have been lifted.
Outdoor gatherings will still be restricted to 30 people* after 17 May.

I don't think an open top bus tour will be legal until step 4 which is currently scheduled for 21 June.

*Insert your own joke about the FGR end of season celebration.
Robin
Thanks Jerry so basically there won't be one in that case given players contracts expire and some will inevitably leave before then.
asl
Let's win it before planning the open-top bus tour, eh....?
Robin
Would presume we would do it even if we don't win the title as automatic promotion is such a big achievement given it's the first one in our history.
Hubert Parry
Unless it's a major competition like the FA Cup or the EPL title, I find these to be a bit silly. The behind the scenes film from our National League title season concluded with the open top bus tour and it looked rather naff - especially going down streets with one or two people lined up! :lol:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Can’t remember whether it was the FA Trophy, Conference or Play Off trophy but one time years ago they did something at the Pump Room. Baker, manager and players were all on a stage augmented on the Pump Room portico and stairs and a big crowd in the tarmac area in front and on the grass. They gave speeches on a sound system, took in turns to lift the trophy etc. That was better than some of the bus tours, as it meant as spectators we got see more than just the 30 seconds of the bus driving past, and because it was a proper crowd in one place looking at the same thing rather than sparsely spread out on a bus route.
Si Robin
Wasn't that pump room thing the culmination of the bus tour - think it was the FA Trophy in 1998. I remember there actually being a decent turnout for that bus tour as well.

However, much like our attendances at big games, the support has gone down every time they've done them.
Fuller
I’m sure it was after the FA Trophy win in 1998 that all the players, management and directors were on the Town Hall roof.
Clive Walker got a big cheer when he lifted the trophy and there was a a great turnout that early Monday evening in the sunshine.
I think I’ve still got the video somewhere from the Central TV or BBC report on the Tuesday. Darren “Wright Wright” Wright kept appearing in shot!
Brilliant days....
Red Duke
Robin wrote:Thanks Jerry so basically there won't be one in that case given players contracts expire and some will inevitably leave before then.
Don't footballers' contracs run out in 30th June and so it could be done between 21st and 30th.
Robin
Hubert Parry wrote:Unless it's a major competition like the FA Cup or the EPL title, I find these to be a bit silly. The behind the scenes film from our National League title season concluded with the open top bus tour and it looked rather naff - especially going down streets with one or two people lined up! :lol:
I'm surprised by your response here Hubert. The vast majority of clubs will never win the top flight title and only a few will win the FA Cup. I'd counter argue that us winning league two (if that's what we do) is quite possibly the greatest feat in our history. Sure the winning the conference (twice) was arguably more important but we were a big fish then with a big budget for the league, we are not no better (if not worse) than a medium sized fish/budget.
Hubert Parry
Not denying that. I'm saying that open top bus tours are naff.
Flux
I think the Pump Room celebration was after a play off final win. The FA Trophy bus parade finished at the Town Hall with huge crowds.

The last bus parade after winning the National League which I was lucky to be on was sparsely populated in the early part from the ground to town where most of the filming was taking place with the news teams, so only the odd person here and there was seen on film. Once it reached The Prom the crowds built up but nothing like the FA Trophy final.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Flux wrote:I think the Pump Room celebration was after a play off final win. The FA Trophy bus parade finished at the Town Hall with huge crowds.

The last bus parade after winning the National League which I was lucky to be on was sparsely populated in the early part from the ground to town where most of the filming was taking place with the news teams, so only the odd person here and there was seen on film. Once it reached The Prom the crowds built up but nothing like the FA Trophy final.
Ah yes, I remember the first Town Hall and the Pump Room. Was at both.
Shade
Hubert Parry wrote:Not denying that. I'm saying that open top bus tours are naff.
Agreed, unless you have thousands lining the streets like a Premier League club would, it seems very pointless. Much better to just have a gathering somewhere like the aforementioned Town Hall or Pump Rooms.
Fuller
Our Chairman on BBC Points West before kick off.
Saying that any celebrations would be tied in with pre season friendlies if I heard correctly.
robinsrule
Actually that’s not true about crowds of only 30 after May 17th - they are having crowds of up to 10,000 at Prem matches.