Olympic Women's Football

Talk about other football teams at all levels. AND ANY Glos City related threads, even if talking about the groundsharing.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

asl
I hesitated over whether this should go in non-footy/jokes, but...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/olympics/57919835" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dear Lord...two half decent bits of footwork for a couple of goals - but, apart from that, it's a competition as to whether the defenders or the keepers are worst. Eleven of those goals would have embarrassed a Dog and Duck second Sunday XI after a particularly heavy night before.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote:I hesitated over whether this should go in non-footy/jokes, but...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/olympics/57919835" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dear Lord...two half decent bits of footwork for a couple of goals - but, apart from that, it's a competition as to whether the defenders or the keepers are worst. Eleven of those goals would have embarrassed a Dog and Duck second Sunday XI after a particularly heavy night before.
It shows the lack of strength in depth below the top teams.

Here we have Miedema, one the 0.0001% elites and one of the 3 or 4 I think could get by in L1 along with Alex Morgan and Lucy Bronze against complete amateurs.

That match is the equivalent of picking out a random woman from Cheltenham leisure centre and entering her to compete in heptathlon against Katarina Johnson-Thompson.

Poor goals for the Netherlands to concede but I imagine they will have a lot more focus, concentration and effort and be a lot tighter once the proper games start in the semi-finals against the 2 or 3 teams who at their level.

Given the rules they have in other events about having to meet certain qualification times etc to be able to enter the Olympics I am surprised they let so many teams in the football competitions, including especially the women’s.

They’ll be countries whose best swimmers and runners haven’t been allowed to enter because they aren’t good enough, so it is a bit unfair that relatively worse teams can enter the football.

And that strength in depth issue is pervades in all women’s sports. Take cycling…I reckon in a 200km one day men’s road race with 300 starters that the two best women (van Vleuten and van der Breggen) could finish in the top 100 but the third and fourth best women would be miles behind the last place men and may even be eliminated for being too slow.
longmover
like Tennis, best to watch with the sound down.
Shade
The Dutch keeper looked pretty poor too, but the ref maybe should have sent the Zambian keeper off after the second goal for deliberate handball outside the area, for her own sake.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:The Dutch keeper looked pretty poor too, but the ref maybe should have sent the Zambian keeper off after the second goal for deliberate handball outside the area, for her own sake.
Is the women’s Olympic football like the mens in that most of the players have to be U-23 rather than normal internationals?

If so then the goal keeping certainly will be poor, as the 2-3 teams with proper goal keepers might be playing a youngster or second choice. Which given the lack of strength in depth even those sides will have hopeless goal keepers.
Shade
No, I believe womens teams can still pick anyone, any age.Most of the GB squad have been around a while. White, Bronze, Parris, Little, Bright, Houghton, etc. It's basically England plus a couple of Scots, I think
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:No, I believe womens teams can still pick anyone, any age.Most of the GB squad have been around a while. White, Bronze, Parris, Little, Bright, Houghton, etc. It's basically England plus a couple of Scots, I think
Good.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Miedema goal today against Brazil slightly better than the calamities above…

https://mobile.twitter.com/The_Hedonist ... 9438775303" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shade
A touch of the Bergkamp's
Shade
Zambia concede another 4, but also score 4 as their striker Banda scored her second hat-trick in two games. A Chinese defender was also given a red card for denying her what would have been a late match winner.