EFL Trophy

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Would you rather win the Trophy at Wembley or stay up in L1?

Yes - winning another trophy at Wembley is fantastic, more history, and we can always get promoted again
11%
No - relegation would be a disaster and a pizza cup is meaningless in comparison
89%

Total votes: 19
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Our game against Exeter tonight got me thinking…
Shade
Absolutely meaningless unless you fluke your way through to the semis using fringe and youth players. Obvs the £10k per game is handy, but it's handier not getting injuries and picking up league points.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:Absolutely meaningless unless you fluke your way through to the semis using fringe and youth players. Obvs the £10k per game is handy, but it's handier not getting injuries and picking up league points.
The question was about would you rather win the final or stay up…not the early rounds.
Hubert Parry
Not remotely a contest in my mind. Staying up.

I'm not even convinced I'd even attend the final of the pizza cup. Been to Wembley enough times and do not really see it as a proper trophy, especially since it's been devalued by U23 teams and FL teams fielding babies.
HamTown
Staying up for sure but it doesn't diminish my hopes of progressing in the trophy to give youth and fringe players minutes
Shade
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Shade wrote:Absolutely meaningless unless you fluke your way through to the semis using fringe and youth players. Obvs the £10k per game is handy, but it's handier not getting injuries and picking up league points.
The question was about would you rather win the final or stay up…not the early rounds.
And I answered it in the poll, but the fact the early rounds are meaningless but we fight for every league point answers the question.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
And I answered it in the poll, but the fact the early rounds are meaningless but we fight for every league point answers the question.
Good point
Si Robin
Hubert Parry wrote:Not remotely a contest in my mind. Staying up.

I'm not even convinced I'd even attend the final of the pizza cup. Been to Wembley enough times and do not really see it as a proper trophy, especially since it's been devalued by U23 teams and FL teams fielding babies.
The only reason I'd go is because my boy would want to go to Wembley.
Warwickshire Robin
I think if we were an established League One side with little to no chance of promotion or relegation then yes go for it, who wouldn't want a day at Wembley in the middle of a mundane season. However, where we are currently, struggling to find our feet at this level and with a thin squad hampered by injuries then definitely its League as the priority for me.
Shade
That's a good point. I remember being more interested in this competition in the days when we were destined for another 14th placed finished in League 2, before the group stage format came in, of course. It's good for that and getting game time into players that haven't played much.

Also, as was mentioned on the radio the other night, if it wasn't for this competition, MD might never have tried the 3-5-2 formation and beaten Arsenal U23's (whichever team we subsequently tried it against may have won easily and it would have been abandoned), and we may never have ended up getting promoted - MD might have been sacked 4 or 5 games later! Sliding doors...