The Wingback and Attacking conundrum

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

HamTown
I thought about posting this before but after a gruelling 2/3 weeks of fixtures it seemed a little premature to suggest changing the system that has served us so well for 2 years

However, its really evident that so much of our attacking impetus has come down the flanks durign this successful period. However it seems to the obvious way to play against us is to peg back our decent wing backs and turn them in to mediocre full backs and therefore nullifying most of our attacking threat.

Last night the more and further Hussey got down the wing the more dangerous we were.

So it makes me wonder with our current players whether a 4 - 5 - 1 with Hussey and Blair out wide is the best strategy and the extra congestion is something that Crowley would revel in - "he could beat a player in a telephone box" as Duff said

Thanks for listening to my TED talk

Thoughts?
longmover
We need Raglan and Boyle back as imo the midfield don't have that security that they bring at the moment
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Also pace. At Sunderland there was no way Hussey could attack like he did last season as he was hugely outpaced by their full back and winger…so not only was the attacking threat limited but it meant we were exposed on the counter.

Blair’s pace is much more effective.
Shade
If we had gotten that extra left back in that Duff wanted a standard 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 could be quite effective with two wide midfielders of Hussey and Blair with said LB and Long at RB behind them. As it is, when we have a fully fit squad I still think we look most solid when we play 3-5-2.
longmover
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Also pace. At Sunderland there was no way Hussey could attack like he did last season as he was hugely outpaced by their full back and winger…so not only was the attacking threat limited but it meant we were exposed on the counter.

Blair’s pace is much more effective.
Hussey is one of the oldest WB in league one
HamTown
Freestone at LB may even be better than CB and I can't see our attacking play drastically changing with Boyle and Raglan returning
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
HamTown wrote:Freestone at LB may even be better than CB and I can't see our attacking play drastically changing with Boyle and Raglan returning
I would try that when Boyle is fit.

Assuming Raglan is out for longer, which of these three would you play?

Long Pollock Boyle
Pollock Freestone Boyle
Long Boyle Freestone

If the middle option, would Long be given a shot at LB?
HamTown
If its 3 CBs - Long Pollock Boyle

If something happened to Long or Blair I'd like to see Horton come in, hes looked pretty solid from whenever I've seen him
horlickfanclub
Round peg theory. Long at RB . Blair right side mid or subs bench. If no Raglan- Horton ,Pollock ,Boyle in a three .