Register    Login    Search    FAQ



CTFC.com Official Site Cheltenham Town FC 500 Club

Other Useful Links:     Leo's Blog    Robins Trust    CTFC Chatter    Football Ground Guide    This is Gloucestershire    News Now    CTFC History Site

Board index » THE NEST » CTFC CHAT ONLY




 Page 1 of 1 [ 26 posts ] 



Author Message
 Post subject: who am I ?
 Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021, 07:34 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2011, 09:17
Posts: 6094
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
See if you can identify this former player from his Wikipedia page

(born 19 January 1967) is an English former footballer who played as a defender in the Football League. He made only one Football League appearance for Colchester United, on loan from Portsmouth where he made no first team appearances. He later went on to play for a host of non-league clubs, before stepping into management with Kintbury Rangers and Newbury


Top  Share on FacebookShare on Twitter
 Post subject: Re: who am I ?
 Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021, 09:58 
Offline

Joined: 07 Apr 2016, 09:39
Posts: 20
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Nesty wrote:
See if you can identify this former player from his Wikipedia page

(born 19 January 1967) is an English former footballer who played as a defender in the Football League. He made only one Football League appearance for Colchester United, on loan from Portsmouth where he made no first team appearances. He later went on to play for a host of non-league clubs, before stepping into management with Kintbury Rangers and Newbury




Darren Angell - brother of Brett.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: who am I ?
 Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021, 12:02 
Offline

Joined: 20 Nov 2009, 09:37
Posts: 5428
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 2 times
I used to work with a guy who went to school with members of that family. He said they were all generational arseholes and well known to the police - first port of call whenever there was any trouble around Newbury. I guess every town has a Family like that: I'm sure we can all name Cheltenham's...


Top 
 Post subject: Re: who am I ?
 Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021, 12:09 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2011, 09:17
Posts: 6094
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
another one:

born in Dudley, Staffordshire (now West Midlands).[4] He began his football career with Stourbridge before joining Kidderminster Harriers in 1987. In eight years with the club he played more than 300 games in all competitions, scoring 71 goals.[5] He was part of the team which won the Conference title in 1993–94,[6] and was the club's leading league scorer for the 1994–95 season with 13 goals,[7] before moving to Birmingham City for a fee of £100,000.[6]


Top 
 Post subject: Re: who am I ?
 Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021, 12:42 
Offline

Joined: 13 Feb 2010, 20:19
Posts: 4361
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Richard Forsyth


Top 
 Post subject: Re: who am I ?
 Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021, 13:58 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2011, 09:17
Posts: 6094
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
correct

try this one ----

born in Birmingham, and began his football career as a schoolboy with Coventry City. When he left school in 1983 he joined Birmingham City as an apprentice, and signed professional forms two years later.[2] He made his first-team debut as a 17-year-old, on 3 November 1984, as a substitute in a goalless draw at home to Shrewsbury Town in the Football League Second Division. He played four more first-team games that season, at the end of which Birmingham were promoted to the top flight,[3] but made no further appearances, and in April 1986, he was one of several players released with the club in financial difficulties.[4]

Moving on to Rochdale of the Third Division,[5]he played only one league game[6] before dropping into non-league football six months later with Nuneaton Borough.[7] A year with Nuneaton and a successful spell with Cheltenham Town,[8] during which he was capped for the England's semi-professional representative side,[2] brought him an £18,000 move back to the Second Division with Harry Redknapp's AFC Bournemouth.[9][10]


Top 
 Post subject: Re: who am I ?
 Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021, 14:14 
Offline

Joined: 28 Dec 2009, 20:36
Posts: 2161
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 1 time
Peter Shearer


Top 
 Post subject: Re: who am I ?
 Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021, 14:24 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2011, 09:17
Posts: 6094
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
yes.............. he was set to be transferred for (what was in those days) megabucks but sustained a bad injury,


Top 
 Post subject: Re: who am I ?
 Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021, 17:11 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2011, 09:17
Posts: 6094
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
another one

1979–1980 Welton Rovers
1980–1982 Bath City 67 (32)
1982–1983 Bristol Rovers 22 (10)
1983–1984 Coventry City 22 (4)
1984 Seiko SA
1984–1986 Cardiff City 27 (7)
1986 Bath City 14 (7)
1986–1987 Bristol City 2 (0)
1987–1988 Bath City 9 (3)
1988 Cheltenham Town 10 (5)
1988–1989 Exeter City 7 (2)
1989 Brisbane City
1989 Weymouth (2)
1989–1991 Gloucester City 40 (18)
1991–1993 Bath City 81 (15)
1993–1994 Yate Town
1993–1994 Weston-super-Mare
1995–1996 Bath City 35 (12)
1996–1997 Trowbridge Town


Top 
 Post subject: Re: who am I ?
 Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021, 17:13 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2011, 09:17
Posts: 6094
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
and ....................

(born 2 August 1937) is an English former professional footballer who scored 48 goals from 130 appearances in the Football League playing as a left winger for Brighton & Hove Albion, Plymouth Argyle, Exeter City and Leyton Orient.[1] He was Brighton's top scorer in the 1960–61 season with 14 goals in all competitions,[2] and his five goals against Watford on the final day of the 1957–58 season ensured their promotion to the Second Division for the first time in the club's history. He also helped Exeter City to promotion from the Third Division in 1964.[3] He went on to play non-League football for Barnet and Cheltenham Town.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: who am I ?
 Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021, 17:25 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2011, 09:17
Posts: 6094
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
............ and ................

.....began his career as a youth and amateur player for West Ham United, before moving to Third Division club Brentford,[2] for whom he failed to make a first team appearance and instead played for the reserves.[3][4] He had a brief spell with Corby Town before joining Southern League club Cheltenham Town for a fee of £22 and 10 shillings.[2]he is cited as one of the greatest players to play for the Robins.[5][6] he moved back to the Third Division to join Bristol Rovers for a £1,500 fee in 1968 and finally made his professional debut,[2] but he only completed one season with Rovers.[3] His most prolific spell came with Exeter City, whom he joined in November 1969,[1] before moving to Aldershot in July 1972.[7] After a brief loan spell with Hartlepool in February 1973,he dropped back into non-league football with Wimbledon later that year.[2]


Top 
 Post subject: Re: who am I ?
 Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021, 18:04 
Offline

Joined: 27 Jun 2012, 09:23
Posts: 1462
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Nesty wrote:
and ....................

(born 2 August 1937) is an English former professional footballer who scored 48 goals from 130 appearances in the Football League playing as a left winger for Brighton & Hove Albion, Plymouth Argyle, Exeter City and Leyton Orient.[1] He was Brighton's top scorer in the 1960–61 season with 14 goals in all competitions,[2] and his five goals against Watford on the final day of the 1957–58 season ensured their promotion to the Second Division for the first time in the club's history. He also helped Exeter City to promotion from the Third Division in 1964.[3] He went on to play non-League football for Barnet and Cheltenham Town.


Adrian Thorne, flying left winger at the Robins when I first started going in 1968/69.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: who am I ?
 Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021, 18:10 
Offline

Joined: 27 Jun 2012, 09:23
Posts: 1462
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Nesty wrote:
yes.............. he was set to be transferred for (what was in those days) megabucks but sustained a bad injury,


Think it was winter 1992/93 he was off for half a million to the Wombles and we were getting a third of that fee I was told, a fortune for the Robins back then.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: who am I ?
 Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021, 18:11 
Offline

Joined: 27 Jun 2012, 09:23
Posts: 1462
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Nesty wrote:
............ and ................

.....began his career as a youth and amateur player for West Ham United, before moving to Third Division club Brentford,[2] for whom he failed to make a first team appearance and instead played for the reserves.[3][4] He had a brief spell with Corby Town before joining Southern League club Cheltenham Town for a fee of £22 and 10 shillings.[2]he is cited as one of the greatest players to play for the Robins.[5][6] he moved back to the Third Division to join Bristol Rovers for a £1,500 fee in 1968 and finally made his professional debut,[2] but he only completed one season with Rovers.[3] His most prolific spell came with Exeter City, whom he joined in November 1969,[1] before moving to Aldershot in July 1972.[7] After a brief loan spell with Hartlepool in February 1973,he dropped back into non-league football with Wimbledon later that year.[2]


Joe Gadston


Top 
 Post subject: Re: who am I ?
 Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021, 19:10 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2011, 09:17
Posts: 6094
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Fuller wrote:
Nesty wrote:
............ and ................

.....began his career as a youth and amateur player for West Ham United, before moving to Third Division club Brentford,[2] for whom he failed to make a first team appearance and instead played for the reserves.[3][4] He had a brief spell with Corby Town before joining Southern League club Cheltenham Town for a fee of £22 and 10 shillings.[2]he is cited as one of the greatest players to play for the Robins.[5][6] he moved back to the Third Division to join Bristol Rovers for a £1,500 fee in 1968 and finally made his professional debut,[2] but he only completed one season with Rovers.[3] His most prolific spell came with Exeter City, whom he joined in November 1969,[1] before moving to Aldershot in July 1972.[7] After a brief loan spell with Hartlepool in February 1973,he dropped back into non-league football with Wimbledon later that year.[2]


Joe Gadston

One of my all time favourite playrrs


Top 
 Post subject: Re: who am I ?
 Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021, 20:25 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2009, 10:06
Posts: 335
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Nesty wrote:
another one

1979–1980 Welton Rovers
1980–1982 Bath City 67 (32)
1982–1983 Bristol Rovers 22 (10)
1983–1984 Coventry City 22 (4)
1984 Seiko SA
1984–1986 Cardiff City 27 (7)
1986 Bath City 14 (7)
1986–1987 Bristol City 2 (0)
1987–1988 Bath City 9 (3)
1988 Cheltenham Town 10 (5)
1988–1989 Exeter City 7 (2)
1989 Brisbane City
1989 Weymouth (2)
1989–1991 Gloucester City 40 (18)
1991–1993 Bath City 81 (15)
1993–1994 Yate Town
1993–1994 Weston-super-Mare
1995–1996 Bath City 35 (12)
1996–1997 Trowbridge Town


Graham Withey vaguely remember seeing him play on a park pitch for Glenside Hospital team around Bristol


Top 
 Post subject: Re: who am I ?
 Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021, 20:59 
Offline

Joined: 20 Nov 2009, 09:15
Posts: 1605
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Nesty wrote:
Fuller wrote:
Nesty wrote:
............ and ................

.....began his career as a youth and amateur player for West Ham United, before moving to Third Division club Brentford,[2] for whom he failed to make a first team appearance and instead played for the reserves.[3][4] He had a brief spell with Corby Town before joining Southern League club Cheltenham Town for a fee of £22 and 10 shillings.[2]he is cited as one of the greatest players to play for the Robins.[5][6] he moved back to the Third Division to join Bristol Rovers for a £1,500 fee in 1968 and finally made his professional debut,[2] but he only completed one season with Rovers.[3] His most prolific spell came with Exeter City, whom he joined in November 1969,[1] before moving to Aldershot in July 1972.[7] After a brief loan spell with Hartlepool in February 1973,he dropped back into non-league football with Wimbledon later that year.[2]


Joe Gadston

One of my all time favourite playrrs


Joe was my boyhood hero.

I always remember a headline in the paper about Joe after his transfer to the Gas :

"Yes, Ford, Gadston is good".

I think the headline was referring to his start at BR. It must have taken a little while for him to show his goal scoring ability and must have scored a couple goals in one match..

i assume Ford was the manager who had been having to defend his signing to the press.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: who am I ?
 Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021, 18:01 
Offline

Joined: 27 Jun 2012, 09:23
Posts: 1462
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
On a similar theme of former players, I recently watched an episode of the Big Match Revisited on ITV4. One of the games was Crystal Palace v Man Utd from March 1980.
Who can name the two Palace players that day who went on to make less than a handful of appearances for the Robins years later?


Top 
 Post subject: Re: who am I ?
 Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021, 07:32 
Offline

Joined: 11 Dec 2009, 18:09
Posts: 554
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Paul Barron would be 1


Top 
 Post subject: Re: who am I ?
 Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021, 12:54 
Offline

Joined: 28 Dec 2009, 20:36
Posts: 2161
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 1 time
Ian Walsh

(ok, I had to look it up but according to the source, Paul Barron didn't play that day. David Fry was in goal for Palace https://www.worldfootball.net/report/pr ... er-united/).


Top 
 Post subject: Re: who am I ?
 Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021, 16:07 
Offline

Joined: 27 Jun 2012, 09:23
Posts: 1462
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
The two Palace players were Ian Walsh who I think played twice for us on loan from Swansea in 1988/89 and scored one goal, the other was David Fry who I'm sure played just one game in !991/92, he may have been the keeper in a very heavy home defeat that season? We got through six keepers that season and it ended in relegation back to the Southern League.
What fun we used to have ......


Top 
 Post subject: Re: who am I ?
 Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021, 17:37 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2011, 09:17
Posts: 6094
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
another one ("more clubs than Faldo"

1993–1996 Norwich City 29 (6)
1995–1996 AFC Bournemouth (loan) 5 (0)
1996 Bristol Rovers (loan) 6 (4)
1996–2000 Bristol Rovers 168 (68)
2000–2003 Reading 108 (50)
2003–2004 Busan I'Cons 21 (4)
2004–2005 Queens Park Rangers 43 (6)
2005–2006 Swindon Town 30 (7)
2005–2006 Colchester United (loan) 8 (4)
2006–2007 Colchester United 44 (23)
2007–2010 Norwich City 69 (16)
2008–2009 Barnsley (loan) 8 (2)
2010 Shrewsbury Town (loan) 12 (0)
2010–2011 Exeter City 41 (17)
2011–2012 Leyton Orient 19 (1)
2012 Exeter City (loan) 7 (1)
2012–2013 Exeter City 40 (21)
2013–2014 Cheltenham Town 35 (11)
2014–2016 Dagenham & Redbridge 83 (26)
2016 Farnborough 7 (8)
2016 Eastleigh 7 (1)
2016 Farnborough 1 (1)
2016–2017 St Albans City 15 (4)
2017 Farnborough (dual registration) 8 (6)
2017–2018 Farnborough 23 (10)
2018–2020 Bishop's Stortford 82 (47)
2019–2020 Enfield (dual registration)
2020 Hornchurch 8 (2)
2020– Enfield 7 (2)


Top 
 Post subject: Re: who am I ?
 Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021, 17:42 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2011, 09:17
Posts: 6094
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
similarly

1986–1987 Fulham 0 (0)
1987 Farnborough Town 16 (3)
1987–1989 Crystal Palace 5 (1)
1989 Bristol Rovers (loan) 17 (9)
1989–1991 Birmingham City 75 (23)
1991 Bristol Rovers (loan) 6 (1)
1991–1995 Queens Park Rangers 40 (10)
1993–1994 Charlton Athletic (loan) 4 (0)
1994 Watford (loan) 8 (4)
1995 Brentford (loan) 6 (3)
1995–1998 Gillingham 88 (11)
1998 Lincoln City 5 (0)
1998–1999 Farnborough Town 30 (13)
1999 Cheltenham Town 8 (2)
1999–2001 Forest Green Rovers 60 (9)
2001 Aberystwyth Town
2001–2002 Tamworth 7 (2)
2002–2003 Stafford Rangers 30 (12)
2003–2004 Moor Green 24 (3)
2004–2006 Stratford Town


Top 
 Post subject: Re: who am I ?
 Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021, 18:46 
Offline

Joined: 05 Dec 2011, 21:19
Posts: 98
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
…. And scored a hat-trick against Manchester United.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: who am I ?
 Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021, 19:08 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2011, 09:17
Posts: 6094
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
slinky_dog wrote:
…. And scored a hat-trick against Manchester United.

Indeed....


Top 
 Post subject: Re: who am I ?
 Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021, 21:34 
Offline

Joined: 28 Dec 2009, 20:36
Posts: 2161
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 1 time
The latter is Dennis Bailey.

The former, Jamie Cureton. Impressive signing at the time. Didn't he move to Dagenham to be closer to his family in that area?


Top 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
 Page 1 of 1 [ 26 posts ] 




Board index » THE NEST » CTFC CHAT ONLY


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 14 guests

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: