Forum Issues/Upgrade

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Admin
Site Administrator
Apologies for the loss of service this week. After upgrading our server the forum couldn't cope with the newer version so I am currently undertaking an upgrade to the latest version.

I will do my best to minimise disruption and to save old posts but as with anything nothing is guaranteed!
Red Duke
I have trying out the new site and one feature that was available on the old one was the next post option. I can't seem to find it on the new one.
Si Robin
Assuming you mean when entering a thread, the orange tabs by the thread title are for next unread post.
Fuller
Admin - sorry but I am unable to open any hyperlinks on the new Forum. I have tried on three different Apple devices.
Funnily enough I can open any old links before the change with no problem.
Admin
Site Administrator
The forum upgrade hasn't started yet guys, to do so I have to strip it back to the basic forum which is what I've done so there will be more disruption yet while I do this and features won't work properly until all done.
asl
Any chance it might work with Tapatalk when you're done, Paul...?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
[quote="Fuller"]Admin - sorry but I am unable to open any hyperlinks on the new Forum. I have tried on three different Apple devices.
Funnily enough I can open any old links before the change with no problem.[/quote]

They are not clickable links, just pasted urls. Copy and paste into the safari browser.
Admin
Site Administrator
Hi all,

We are still working on this but unfortunately it's not straight forward with trying to keep existing users and posts!

I will leave it running as is currently until we've managed to upgrade the software without losing history as that would be such a shame.

I will also work on making Tapatalk work Alen!

Regards,

Paul
everyman
[quote="Admin"]The forum upgrade hasn't started yet guys, to do so I have to strip it back to the basic forum which is what I've done so there will be more disruption yet while I do this and features won't work properly until all done.[/quote]
I`m pretty sure many users will stop using the site now this is the last straw it`s been dying anyway !
Benny Profane
It hasn't been dying (& how ironic it would be if it died at the very point at which CTFC have possibly our best ever team)...............patience probably required.
Red Duke
Seems to be running better. No error messages when posting.
asl
Oh...finally able to login after more than a week! Couldn't understand how a couple of others were able to post!

If anyone else still having problems, I suggest clearing your cache and reloading the page.
Ralph
[quote="everyman"][quote="Admin"]The forum upgrade hasn't started yet guys, to do so I have to strip it back to the basic forum which is what I've done so there will be more disruption yet while I do this and features won't work properly until all done.[/quote]
I`m pretty sure many users will stop using the site now this is the last straw it`s been dying anyway ![/quote]

This isn't an airport. No need to announce your departure
asl
Any ideas when things will be back to normal with the board, Paul?
Admin
Site Administrator
Apologies all.

Basically to keep all the existing users and posts we need to make an old version of PHP and MySQL work on a local server to be able to upgrade the forum. Not as easy as it sounds!

Paul
Admin
Site Administrator
Testing stuff like links http://www.google.co.uk
Red Duke
Looking good! Is this the final version or are there more updates to come?
Admin
Site Administrator
Thanks RD. More to come slowly but happy the upgrade finally worked!

Need to tweak the logo and icons to footballs again and maybe reduce some wording sizing.

Let me know any ideas you have.
asl
Looking good! I'd have a possessive apostrophe in the title, mind...
Admin
Site Administrator
asl wrote: 19 Dec 2021, 21:22 Looking good! I'd have a possessive apostrophe in the title, mind...
There’s always one! :lol:

Tapatalk on its way back too once they sort something out for me.
andgarod
Looking good and thank you for the time and effort
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Setting links to open in a new tab would be good. E.g. I opened JP’s Boyle to Pompey article and it opened in the same tab (i.e. navigating away from the RNF).
Nesty
looks fantastic
theidlerich
Huge thanks to admin for being patient and persevering with the upgrade. This is the first time I haven't seen the strange lines at the top appear. It would be tragic to see this forum wither; so posters all ,keep them coming!
In the light of a total dismal and catastrophic failure on part of HMG yet again, Happy xmas one and all and stay safe.
Johnsons Red Army
Looking good!

Well done and thank you!
Red Duke
Admin wrote: 19 Dec 2021, 21:15 Thanks RD. More to come slowly but happy the upgrade finally worked!

Need to tweak the logo and icons to footballs again and maybe reduce some wording sizing.

I would like to see the return of being able to click to go to next unread post. It would be really good if it were at the bottom of the page, rather than the top.
longmover
well done folks, was close to binning this off and posting on another forum which would of been a shame as only a handful of CTFC fans using it.

thanks again
Admin
Site Administrator
Red Duke wrote: 20 Dec 2021, 13:00
Admin wrote: 19 Dec 2021, 21:15 Thanks RD. More to come slowly but happy the upgrade finally worked!

I would like to see the return of being able to click to go to next unread post. It would be really good if it were at the bottom of the page, rather than the top.
Do you mean the link in the top right RD, says 'First unread post' or was it somewhere else?
Red Duke
There used to be two options on any unread topic, one was the first unread post and the other was the next unread topic. It was the latter I was referring to.
Admin
Site Administrator
Red Duke wrote: 22 Dec 2021, 09:36 There used to be two options on any unread topic, one was the first unread post and the other was the next unread topic. It was the latter I was referring to.
OK will see what i can do.
theidlerich
Great stuff to whomever - good to see the forum working.
Any chance of a link to CTFC web site?
Educated Bertie
Why is The Forum website still "http", not "https"?

Deemed to be "not secure" in my browser!

Could this be a large factor in there being less posts and views?
ctfc-fan
Educated Bertie wrote:Why is The Forum website still "http", not "https"?

Deemed to be "not secure" in my browser!

Could this be a large factor in there being less posts and views?
Mine is https and secured.
andgarod
They may have a mobile but is it smart and is it working
Mine fell into a bucket of water this morning
Is still working just
Will it get better or worse as the evening progresses
No doubt RCS will have a response
PaulGodfrey
Help needed if possible!

One of our overseas supporters has contacted me because he is unable to access the forum. He doesn't have a login and only likes to view the posts but each time he tries to enter the site he gets a message informing him that he has been banned indefinitely. Would one of the admins have any idea how this can be overcome?

Paul Godfrey