Michael Duff ahead of Rotherham United away

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Really interesting hearing Duff talk about the Oxford friendly as a chance for players to learn where to stand in different situations, then talking about Rotherham’s fitness, and then why L1 players aren’t good enough to play one up front. Tactically he really is managing below his level. Love it.
longmover
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 20 Jan 2022, 18:52 Really interesting hearing Duff talk about the Oxford friendly as a chance for players to learn where to stand in different situations, then talking about Rotherham’s fitness, and then why L1 players aren’t good enough to play one up front. Tactically he really is managing below his level. Love it.
He's got a while to go yet, he hasn't won a game since November.
Fuller
I notice he hasn't mentioned Charlie Brown once yet in his interviews.
Seems to be the forgotten signing already!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
longmover wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 12:05
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 20 Jan 2022, 18:52 Really interesting hearing Duff talk about the Oxford friendly as a chance for players to learn where to stand in different situations, then talking about Rotherham’s fitness, and then why L1 players aren’t good enough to play one up front. Tactically he really is managing below his level. Love it.
He's got a while to go yet, he hasn't won a game since November.
That’s more down to the players.
HamTown
He has made some suspect tactical choices e.g sticking Raglan up front and Chapman in defence
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
HamTown wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 14:15 He has made some suspect tactical choices e.g sticking Raglan up front and Chapman in defence
Of course Duff has all the data to hand on the physical levels of players, and the in-game analysis of where we are being outperformed. If he does things which seem strange to us, then it will be for good reason using evidence we just don’t have.
Warwickshire Robin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 14:37
HamTown wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 14:15 He has made some suspect tactical choices e.g sticking Raglan up front and Chapman in defence
Of course Duff has all the data to hand on the physical levels of players, and the in-game analysis of where we are being outperformed. If he does things which seem strange to us, then it will be for good reason using evidence we just don’t have.
It's getting that balance right between the data and what is happening on the pitch. Last Saturday being the example, I'm sure the stats said may have said 'make subs' but in reality I think those changes cost us 2 points.

However, MD is still only 3 years into his managerial career and still learning so hopefully he continues his upward curve (and with us for as long as possible too!).
Garby74
I like MD.
Think back to the football before his time.
He plays the game the right way.
Dressing room is always together and most players speak highly of the club, him and other players.

I do worry though...how do we keep him?
Then back to the dross
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 18:15
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 14:37
It's getting that balance right between the data and what is happening on the pitch. Last Saturday being the example, I'm sure the stats said may have said 'make subs' but in reality I think those changes cost us 2 points.

However, MD is still only 3 years into his managerial career and still learning so hopefully he continues his upward curve (and with us for as long as possible too!).
Re bolded text. Absolutely, which is why I also said in-game analysis.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Garby74 wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 19:10 I like MD.
Think back to the football before his time.
He plays the game the right way.
Dressing room is always together and most players speak highly of the club, him and other players.

I do worry though...how do we keep him?
Then back to the dross
If/when he goes it is up to the Board to be brave. Could take the easy option and go for dross (an experienced journeyman lower league manager with little actual achievement). But I would hope they take the brave option. After the success of Duff and Bonner teams are slowly waking up to the facts - FGR and Ipswich now both have managers recruited from top flight youth set ups, like Duff was. That is a must in my view. Time for clubs to stop recruiting from the merry go round of failed names.
Fuller
That’s why I worry a bit about the Bristol City situation.
Not going very well down there under Pearson and Duff on their radar apparently. Good fit for both parties and they will also probably get a former City player as his assistant as well.