Exeter City

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

paperboy
Congratulations on them confirming promotion to League One and they could yet be champions.
Both they and FGR are fairly local which is good.

I heard Dale mention on radio that FGR will plough the additional million pound of income they expect to receive next season into the playing budget which guarantees nothing of course but is a big help.
Matt Taylor has done a great job at Exeter and I see that some of the transfer fees they have received from selling some of their conveyor belt of young talent is being spent on a big upgrade of their training facility.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Always like games against Exeter.

Strangely, even though I have been to Exeter several times and really like it, I have never been to see us play away there. Will aim to change that next season.
ctfc-fan
Here’s hoping Exeter win the league.

As for FGR, I think all football clubs should have to provide a full breakdown of their income, especially commercial sponsorship.

FGR’s latest accounts show this income breakdown:

Matchday: £136k
Media and football activity: £2.8m
Commercial: £2.8m

No doubt any sponsorship from Ecotricity has been artificially inflated.
Shade
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61223672

The first 6 or 7 paragraphs of that only serve to reinforce what an immense job our own club has done over the last few years, let alone in winning League 2 a year ago. We have only had a fraction of Exeter's income in player sales. £1m for Eisa and a few hundred grand for academy players over the years? Exeter have had over £6m from Watkins alone so far, according to that, and 3 other players for over £1m. Money we could only dream of, and yet we have won two titles and a 'comfortable' season in League One in the last 6 years.
Fuller
Shade wrote: 28 Apr 2022, 09:59 https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61223672

The first 6 or 7 paragraphs of that only serve to reinforce what an immense job our own club has done over the last few years, let alone in winning League 2 a year ago. We have only had a fraction of Exeter's income in player sales. £1m for Eisa and a few hundred grand for academy players over the years? Exeter have had over £6m from Watkins alone so far, according to that, and 3 other players for over £1m. Money we could only dream of, and yet we have won two titles and a 'comfortable' season in League One in the last 6 years.
Not forgetting they have invested a very considerable part of that income into major ground improvements too.
Sound club is Exeter, but we certainly had the upper hand on them in our first ten years in the EFL.
longmover
Shade wrote: 28 Apr 2022, 09:59 https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61223672

Sadly our story of playing by the rules and cutting cloth accordingly (at our expense) doesn't fit the narrative.
horlickfanclub
According to reports Exeter will not be increasing their budget. They have increased costs on the training ground development due to building contractor issues and things are very tight. It shows the risk associated with great plans. Not the fault of Exeter FC, but a bit of a mess.
Shade
Meanwhile FGR are ploughing everything (and more, no doubt) into their budget, apparently. I was actually a little surprised (and happy, obviously) to see A LOT of negative comments on Facebook from fans of other clubs on a post about them yesterday, about how tinpot they are, another club with no fans buying their way up, questioning how on earth they are going to cope with the likes of Sunderland and Derby going to their ramshackle ground, etc. Other than the media and those who don't know the story, it seems the love affair with them is over.

Anyway, back on topic...
Si Robin
The thing is - their ground shouldn't be ramshackle - it's only 16 years old!!

However, I've heard that they're deliberately letting it go to ruin to help sell the need to move.
paperboy
horlickfanclub wrote: 29 Apr 2022, 09:36 According to reports Exeter will not be increasing their budget. They have increased costs on the training ground development due to building contractor issues and things are very tight. It shows the risk associated with great plans. Not the fault of Exeter FC, but a bit of a mess.

Unfortunate but not really a mess.
I think everyone knows that building materials and overall costs have escalated dramatically post covid and that is the nub of the issue.
ctfc-fan
So Exeter took the advantage today, I really hope they win the league.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Exeter have got the title.

Time to start planning the New Lawn Takeover next season.

Let’s buy zero away end tickets at FGR and instead buy 1,500 home end tickets.

Even if they try and stop us entering it will cause delays and chaos and just create a farce and show the club set up there is not fit for the Football League.
Shade
FGR finish off away at Mansfield who need the win for an outside chance at snatching the last auto slot, although unlikely.
Exeter at home to Vale, who have an even slimmer chance, but a chance nonetheless, at auto. I think Exeter will do it.

Very disappointing if, after FGR have bottled the title so hilariously badly, that they win it and we are the only Glos League champions for one season.
asl
Will they still colour in a star if they only finish runner up...?

Sent from my SM-G9860 using Tapatalk

ctfc-fan
asl wrote:Will they still colour in a star if they only finish runner up...?

Sent from my SM-G9860 using Tapatalk
Are the stars for promotions or championships?
Si Robin
Definitely promotions - they won the playoffs to get into the Football League
Shade
Exeter on their way to the title. FGR have bottled it again, 1 down at Mansfield. How on Earth have they managed to not win the division :lol: it can never be said enough times, they were 13 points clear with games in hand.
Shade
Looks like I might have gone a bit early on that...
CTFCfan99
My god Bristol Rovers...needed to better Northampton's win by FIVE goals to take 3rd place and they've actually done it. 7-0 up to Northampton's 3-1!
Shade
Disappointing. Still, how many counties can boast different consecutive champions of a division in the top 5 tiers? Not that many, I'm guessing.

Have to say, although good for travelling, Exeter, FGR and Bristol Rovers coming up is surely awful news for us in terms of attracting signings in the region.
Shade
CTFCfan99 wrote: 07 May 2022, 15:50 My god Bristol Rovers...needed to better Northampton's win by FIVE goals to take 3rd place and they've actually done it. 7-0 up to Northampton's 3-1!
A terrible day for football, FGR and the Gas/Barton getting promoted. Assuming they actually get to finish the game at the Mem and the EFL don't end up awarding a 3-0 win against them...
Shade
FGR's pitch invasion looked embarrassingly small and pathetic at Mansfield. Big title game and looks like they probably only had a few hundred there.
Fuller
Shade wrote: 07 May 2022, 15:55 Disappointing. Still, how many counties can boast different consecutive champions of a division in the top 5 tiers? Not that many, I'm guessing.

Have to say, although good for travelling, Exeter, FGR and Bristol Rovers coming up is surely awful news for us in terms of attracting signings in the region.
Might be adding Swindon to those three too….
Fuller
Shade wrote: 07 May 2022, 15:57
CTFCfan99 wrote: 07 May 2022, 15:50 My god Bristol Rovers...needed to better Northampton's win by FIVE goals to take 3rd place and they've actually done it. 7-0 up to Northampton's 3-1!
A terrible day for football, FGR and the Gas/Barton getting promoted. Assuming they actually get to finish the game at the Mem and the EFL don't end up awarding a 3-0 win against them...
Hearing Scunthorpe put a very young side out. The Cobblers will be fuming.
Shade
Scunthorpe are awful anyway but 7-0 with a team of kids is a joke. Good job they're going out of the League otherwise they should be getting a slap from the EFL.
ctfc-fan
The gushing continues on LinkedIn….

ctfc-fan
And then someone who clearly knows nothing about football! So the best run clubs are the ones who now make it to the top? Have they ever seen the state of the premiership and championship and the owners of some of those clubs??

ctfc-fan
And the new stadium is apparently magic and the fans will increase when it’s built. Surely fans would be attending now but they don’t ever fill their little stadium!

longmover
Fuller wrote: 07 May 2022, 16:06
Footballs bent always has been and always will but as this happened to Northampton (who still haven't paid back the £10m for their new stand) then its quite funny :lol:
longmover
ctfc-fan wrote: 09 May 2022, 06:57 And then someone who clearly knows nothing about football! So the best run clubs are the ones who now make it to the top? Have they ever seen the state of the premiership and championship and the owners of some of those clubs??

DV continues to gaslight the nation on how wonderful FGR are and this is the outcome.
Si Robin
longmover wrote: 09 May 2022, 07:48

Footballs bent always has been and always will but as this happened to Northampton (who still haven't paid back the £10m for their new stand) then its quite funny :lol:
Scunny have been playing the kids for the last few weeks apparently. Keith Hill decided to play the lads likely to be there next season rather than the dross that got them relegated in the first place.

If this was in isolation, then there'd be understandable uproar, but it isn't.

Interestingly on attendances, etc... Gloucester had 1,700 on Saturday, something like their 4th or 5th 1,000 plus attendance, despite having a shocking season on the pitch. Will be interesting to see how their crowds are maintained if they do well next season - suspect they'll have more home fans than FGR at points.
longmover
Si Robin wrote: 09 May 2022, 07:53

Scunny have been playing the kids for the last few weeks apparently. Keith Hill decided to play the lads likely to be there next season rather than the dross that got them relegated in the first place.

Well they can't be too obvious about it can they, rovers need SEVEN to get promoted on the last day and guess what happens :lol: also see Everton's 'fortunate' turn of form, the prem wont let one of the founding members go down especially with their golden boy Lampard at the helm.
Last edited by longmover on 09 May 2022, 11:14, edited 1 time in total.
horlickfanclub
Si Robin wrote: 09 May 2022, 07:53

Interestingly on attendances, etc... Gloucester had 1,700 on Saturday, something like their 4th or 5th 1,000 plus attendance, despite having a shocking season on the pitch. Will be interesting to see how their crowds are maintained if they do well next season - suspect they'll have more home fans than FGR at points.
horlickfanclub
I am hoping that in two seasons time Gloucester City are in the same division as Forest Green.
ctfc-fan
horlickfanclub wrote:I am hoping that in two seasons time Gloucester City are in the same division as Forest Green.
Yes National League!