Derby County v Cheltenham Town

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Shade
Slight bright spot for me, I think Olayinka was positive and tried to take players on and beat a few, which is something nobody else in our squad appears to be able to do.
Last edited by Shade on 28 Feb 2023, 21:30, edited 1 time in total.
Broadway Brian
It ain’t really a better performance. It’s abject of ideas, technique and shape. Derby haven’t gotten out of 2nd gear.

It’s every bit as clueless as any 0-4 at home.
Shade
Can't blame Wade and Russ for everything. Long with a free kick, both of them pointing forward, go forward. Long turns around and plays it backwards.
little mo
It just got worse,MK equalise 89 mins
Shade
Freestone can't get back soon enough to marshall this defence. But I guess it'll be at least another month. No surprise we have only won one since he has been out and the number of goals we are conceding per game has gone up.
Benctfc
Again I have watched tonight and at no point have I thought we have a chance of taking anything from this match. Our tactics seem to consist of standing off and waiting for the opposition to score. We aren't good enough defensively to sit off teams in this division and play for a lucky 1-0 win.

Also Derby looked really average I can see how Barnsley put 4 past them on Saturday. Be amazed if they go up this season.
Shade
Well, Morecambe lost there 5-0 so at least it wasn't that bad...
Benctfc
Wade and Russ having a nice smile after the game. Not like we are in a relegation battle and have just lost a football match ffs
Ihearye
Sadly it is hard to envisage a situation where at the end of the season there will be 4 teams worse than this. FGR will be pushing us by that time
Horteng
Disappointing. Never looked like scoring a single goal, never looked a threat.

Saturday is a must win for me now. If we don’t then I believe Wades position is probably untenable…….
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Tight first half. Generally untroubled and just a few bad decisions/poor final balls away from having clear opportunities. That was our problem really.

First goal came after a long stoppage in play, we let a cross come in then Long scuffed an easy clearance (as so often seen) and McGoldrick (too good for this level) drilled home.

Second half was slow. But we were just starting to get a foothold as Derby sat of us, but we gave it away and a goal from nothing against the run of play. McGoldrick again setting it up showing why he did well in the Premier League just a few years ago for Sheffield United.

Ferry, Perry, Bonds and Olayinka the same as always…looking class at times driving forward/passing moves and hopeless at other times losing it easily, missing tackles, missing simple passes.

The next two games are key. We huffed and puffed and gave a reasonable account against a side with a ridiculous squad for this level. I thought we were outplayed much more at Hillsborough and Portman Road than we were tonight. Next two games are against teams much closer to the level we operate at, and we have to win one of them I feel.

If we win neither of the next two then we are in a real desperate situation in my view. Win them both and we’re halfway there.

Players came over to clap and fans clapped. Wade came over to clap as well, some fans clapped, some making other hand gestures. Obviously the Elliott out chants sound loud because no one is singing Elliott in - but most people stood in stoney silence whilst the kids were shouting that.

Other than that, a lot of fans in fine voice with plenty of gallows humour as well as singing to the end (well those who hadn’t left).
art vandalay
No goals in six of our last seven games. Unbelievable.
Horteng
art vandalay wrote: 28 Feb 2023, 22:46 No goals in six of our last seven games. Unbelievable.
It is concerning and quite frankly p!## poor
Broadway Brian
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 28 Feb 2023, 22:39 Tight first half. Generally untroubled and just a few bad decisions/poor final balls away from having clear opportunities. That was our problem really.

First goal came after a long stoppage in play, we let a cross come in then Long scuffed an easy clearance (as so often seen) and McGoldrick (too good for this level) drilled home.

Second half was slow. But we were just starting to get a foothold as Derby sat of us, but we gave it away and a goal from nothing against the run of play. McGoldrick again setting it up showing why he did well in the Premier League just a few years ago for Sheffield United.

Ferry, Perry, Bonds and Olayinka the same as always…looking class at times driving forward/passing moves and hopeless at other times losing it easily, missing tackles, missing simple passes.

The next two games are key. We huffed and puffed and gave a reasonable account against a side with a ridiculous squad for this level. I thought we were outplayed much more at Hillsborough and Portman Road than we were tonight. Next two games are against teams much closer to the level we operate at, and we have to win one of them I feel.

If we win neither of the next two then we are in a real desperate situation in my view. Win them both and we’re halfway there.

Players came over to clap and fans clapped. Wade came over to clap as well, some fans clapped, some making other hand gestures. Obviously the Elliott out chants sound loud because no one is singing Elliott in - but most people stood in stoney silence whilst the kids were shouting that.

Other than that, a lot of fans in fine voice with plenty of gallows humour as well as singing to the end (well those who hadn’t left).
Agree with some parts of that but…

I don’t know what Taylor Perry you’ve seen that sometimes looks class. This is 2 leagues above his level. He has toblerones for feet it seems.

On paper Derby have a great squad blah blah blah, but tonight isn’t about us bravely going toe to toe with the big boys and just coming out the wrong side of a close game. We were dross, didn’t so much as lay a glove on them, had no gameplay other than the lofted sand wedge to the small lone striker. Derby were average and didn’t need to be anything else to coast to victory.

What do our players do in training all week? I am baffled.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Broadway Brian wrote: 01 Mar 2023, 00:12
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 28 Feb 2023, 22:39 Tight first half. Generally untroubled and just a few bad decisions/poor final balls away from having clear opportunities. That was our problem really.

Agree with some parts of that but…

I don’t know what Taylor Perry you’ve seen that sometimes looks class. This is 2 leagues above his level. He has toblerones for feet it seems.

On paper Derby have a great squad blah blah blah, but tonight isn’t about us bravely going toe to toe with the big boys and just coming out the wrong side of a close game. We were dross, didn’t so much as lay a glove on them, had no gameplay other than the lofted sand wedge to the small lone striker. Derby were average and didn’t need to be anything else to coast to victory.

What do our players do in training all week? I am baffled.
A couple of occasions TP gave it dropped shoulder and swagger to beat a couple of player, burst through the lines with the ball, or played some good first time balls round the corner or one-twos. But then many times he fell over, ran out of play, got dispossessed, made a poor pass.

Several occasions we were one final ball away from a clear cut opportunity. When Broom was through and delayed too long when unsure whether to shoot or square. Overhit passes from the edge of the box out for a goal kick. Blocked pull backs. Tackled at edge of box. Heavy touches and poor control when getting passed to in the box.

We just weren’t good enough to make or receive the final pass or beat the final defender. Poor quality from us, but credit to the defence. That Broom opportunity, for example, was excellent defending to not give Broom an option. Compare that to how Long/Jackson deal with similar situations when they are at CB.

But yes, far too much long ball and punts down the channels. Although we had little joy playing it through midfield, and the less said about defenders passing it out from the back the better.
HamTown
Some positives:

- A change of formation, any formation was welcome
- Rea looked solid, steady and liked a tackle
- Perry was involved more (but still looks a shadow of his former potential)
- Olayinka looked bright and energetic

Some negatives:

- Broom needs to have a break, come off the bench and build his confidence up - LWB, RWB, AM in quick succession, he can't get in to form swapping around like that
- Jackson at CB, why?! Hes been one of our few attacking threats as RWB and we stick him at CB with Raglan on the bench
- Lack of any meaningful shots
- We can all see theres potential with Keena but I can't help but feel the zero service will knock his confidence and hinder his progress

Overall:

I've been one to back Wade by keeping us above relegation in tough circumstances this season, not least through injuries, a lack of bench and missing components in the team but now feel we have the players available at his disposal to turn round performances and hes got to get this squad delivering starting with Fleetwood
Warwickshire Robin
Horteng wrote: 28 Feb 2023, 22:50
art vandalay wrote: 28 Feb 2023, 22:46 No goals in six of our last seven games. Unbelievable.
Agreed. Also the fact that after 33 games we have yet to score more than 2 goals in a league match and we STILL haven't scored from a corner (that I can remember anyway) is quite frankly shameful.
CTFCfan99
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 01 Mar 2023, 08:34
Agreed. Also the fact that after 33 games we have yet to score more than 2 goals in a league match and we STILL haven't scored from a corner (that I can remember anyway) is quite frankly shameful.
We'll probably score 3 on Saturday including 2 from corners and still lose 4-3
longmover
Interesting last night that Radio Glos commentators mentioned that the board would have to seriously consider Wade's role if CTFC get nothing from the next two games, I've never heard them say anything of that persuasion before they've always given reasons as to why CTFC/ Elliot are struggling but last night they were pretty black and white and sounded as though they'd had enough of making excuses, Basically saying Wade is not getting the best from this team.

just wonder if they have heard something?
Nesty
I have tried to back Elliot - but I cannot work out the reasoning behind last nights team selecton and tactics.

In general the players seem to lack basic skills, as others have said - passes hitting colleagues in the midriff etc etc -
longmover
Nesty wrote: 01 Mar 2023, 09:53 I have tried to back Elliot - but I cannot work out the reasoning behind last nights team selecton and tactics.

In general the players seem to lack basic skills, as others have said - passes hitting colleagues in the midriff etc etc -
falling over as well, its just embarrassing.
everyman
Shade wrote: 28 Feb 2023, 20:30 Well, hadn't been doing too bad. Not much threat from Derby and then just weak defending and an easy goal. Broom is so weak, hasn't got anything to his game right now. Perry, to be fair, has looked a lot more in the game further forward. Still trudges round like he's got lead weights in his boots though.
I doubt if Perry will ever be fit enough to be an EFL player.
everyman
Shade wrote: 28 Feb 2023, 21:30 Slight bright spot for me, I think Olayinka was positive and tried to take players on and beat a few, which is something nobody else in our squad appears to be able to do.
He needs to be playing more football a loan would have done him good but it`s probably too late given our poor squad choices for the remaining games.
Horteng
Probably because we fanny about taking nonsense short corners and the ball rarely makes it to the box
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Horteng wrote: 01 Mar 2023, 12:02

Probably because we fanny about taking nonsense short corners and the ball rarely makes it to the box
Our first corner last night May hit straight to the first man, which is so poor. And we never have players at the far post, and rarely pick up the second ball. I always think our own corners are more likely to lead to a goal for the opponents than for us!
Garby74
Well I'm going to admit....I didnt think we played that bad last night!

It maybe because the bar has been so low recently.

TP and Olly showed glimpses of...somthing.

Rea was rusty but looks solid and will be a useful extra voice, which has been missing since freestone injury.

Southwood had little to do.

Broom needs a rest.

I'm happy for 442. But play players in their correct positions.

Gotta feel for Alfie and lack of service.

3 points from next two games miniumim. Otherwise my mind will be made up.

It's such a terrible feeling. I want Wade to succeed...I just don't think he will.

The worst thing is we are goid enough.
Robin
I went last night a few comments from I saw/experienced:
- Away turn out was really poor, much lower numbers than you would expect and the usual buzz of playing a big club wasn't there, all the conversations I over heard down by the concourse bar revolved around frustration with Wade and how many Derby would win by.
- Vocal support during the game was largely poor, a few songs mocking how poor we were including one aimed at the Derby fans for only beating us 1-0. This won't help player confidence at all.
- Lots of chanting about Wade out and and he's on his way to the job centre, some booing of Perry (and some vitroil during the game) and Wade making substitutions after going 2-0.
- Largely we defended OK as a team but offensively we were utterly abysmal. We had corners and dead ball situations and the delivery was dreadful, we also had some potentially dangerous counter attacks only to play a simple ball wrong.
- I think we managed to throw the ball out of play twice from our own throws.
- Our tactics seemed to be lump if forward to Alfie May and hope that Olayinka (who was our best player) and Perry to get up and support him.
- We just don't do the simple stuff well at all and has to be down to coaching.
Broadway Brian
Robin wrote: 01 Mar 2023, 19:31 I went last night a few comments from I saw/experienced:
- Away turn out was really poor, much lower numbers than you would expect and the usual buzz of playing a big club wasn't there, all the conversations I over heard down by the concourse bar revolved around frustration with Wade and how many Derby would win by.
- Vocal support during the game was largely poor, a few songs mocking how poor we were including one aimed at the Derby fans for only beating us 1-0. This won't help player confidence at all.
- Lots of chanting about Wade out and and he's on his way to the job centre, some booing of Perry (and some vitroil during the game) and Wade making substitutions after going 2-0.
- Largely we defended OK as a team but offensively we were utterly abysmal. We had corners and dead ball situations and the delivery was dreadful, we also had some potentially dangerous counter attacks only to play a simple ball wrong.
- I think we managed to throw the ball out of play twice from our own throws.
- Our tactics seemed to be lump if forward to Alfie May and hope that Olayinka (who was our best player) and Perry to get up and support him.
- We just don't do the simple stuff well at all and has to be down to coaching.
Don’t disagree with anything.

Personally, I wasnt too surprised at the following. 3 away games in a week is an expensive business, before you even look at the results. I was more surprised at the small numbers that went to Plymouth tbh given we were 1 game from Wembley.

I didn’t notice any one player getting more stick or boos than anyone else but I wasn’t standing in the throbbing mass.

The ‘how s#!t must you be’ song is an utter embarrassment. I hate it. We sang it at Shrewsbury and it annoyed me then too.

We are so weak and devoid of ideas offensively at the mo that far lesser teams can absorb that style of play easily for an almost guaranteed clean sheet e.g Port Vale and Accrington’s third string defence. For that reason, I can’t see us threatening anyone if we continue to take the same approach, including FGR.

It also highlights the frustration in being so poor at set pieces ie a team’s Plan B.

Please sort it out boys. Someone grasp these next few games by the scruff of the neck and become a legend.
Robin
Exactly Broadway but I can't see anyway we turn this around now without a new coach coming in who can lift the players and get them performing with more purpose. The remit is simple, boost morale, get the team organised at both ends of the pitch and we should be OK for another season at this level. Wade has admirably defended the players from blame and I feel they stuck by him for a long time, I'm no longer certain that is the case now.

By the way when Wade does leave then he can leave with his head high, he's done his best. At times this season he's been dealt a bad hand with injuries and some odd recruitment last summer but ultimately he's likely to be remembered for the Exeter 7-0, our worst ever FA Cup upset and some of the most mind numbing football we've seen in a long time.
Robin
longmover wrote: 01 Mar 2023, 09:45 Interesting last night that Radio Glos commentators mentioned that the board would have to seriously consider Wade's role if CTFC get nothing from the next two games, I've never heard them say anything of that persuasion before they've always given reasons as to why CTFC/ Elliot are struggling but last night they were pretty black and white and sounded as though they'd had enough of making excuses, Basically saying Wade is not getting the best from this team.

just wonder if they have heard something?
We were debating when the axe will finally swing last night and settled on a defeat on Saturday and he's gone for certain. Logic being even the board cannot ignore the situation any longer so I'm surprised Radio Glos think he needs to lose both. I'd even argue at that point it's beginning to reach the point that the longer we drag this out it's doing more damage, especially if we don't have a successor in place quickly after the decision has been made.
Shade
Maybe bringing in an attacking coach until the end of the season? Would bring some new ideas whilst not shaking the boat as much as changing manager?
Robin
Possibly but presumably we'd need to pay compensation for a coach unless we can find someone like Marcus who has recently left a club.
Ihearye
In my opinion, the players owe us and him. They shouldn't need to be coached how to complete a 4 yard pass, or take a decent corner. Surely to God League 1 players can cross a ball from a corner or a free kick?
If these short corners are part of a plan, how are they so $hit at them? How many times are they caught off-side?
Broom - don't start me, never understood bringing him back, was never more than a 40 min player.

FFS put someone to the sword for a change

No Surrender