David Bloxham

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Shade
has just been on Radio Glos.

- Alfie made it very clear he wanted to move.
- Not as many clubs in for him as you'd expect, surprising.
- No approaches from Championship clubs.
- Only ever two clubs in for him at any time.
- Board have had to hold out for best deal they could, which is what they got.
- Not especially pleased with fee (undisclosed), but best they could get given the circumstances.
- What really struck him is how much age has a big impact on fee, just turned 30, has little re-sale value. Clubs after assets to sell on later.
- Offer received for Alfie in January (not Charlton, but with good personal terms for Alfie) and he wanted to leave then.
- Club talked to Alfie and then had gentleman's agreement that if he scored goals to keep us up, we would let him go in the summer.
- Invested in Keena on the back of that, and now got Street in as well as knew Alfie was going.
- More players to come, inc. loans (obviously), but good core already in place.
paperboy
Courtesy of JP.

Birmingham last year.
Gillingham in January.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Disappointing he was eager to leave in January.

Also interesting that after not letting him leave he started scoring. Makes the “don’t want an unhappy player on the books” theory less strong.

Suggests my previous theory about May’s “I love Charlton” interview after the last game of season had legs. He’s been heading there all along.
Ihearye
Shade wrote: 07 Jul 2023, 15:59 has just been on Radio Glos.

- Alfie made it very clear he wanted to move.
- Not as many clubs in for him as you'd expect, surprising.
- No approaches from Championship clubs.
- Only ever two clubs in for him at any time.
- Board have had to hold out for best deal they could, which is what they got.
- Not especially pleased with fee (undisclosed), but best they could get given the circumstances.
- What really struck him is how much age has a big impact on fee, just turned 30, has little re-sale value. Clubs after assets to sell on later.
- Offer received for Alfie in January (not Charlton, but with good personal terms for Alfie) and he wanted to leave then.
- Club talked to Alfie and then had gentleman's agreement that if he scored goals to keep us up, we would let him go in the summer.
- Invested in Keena on the back of that, and now got Street in as well as knew Alfie was going.
- More players to come, inc. loans (obviously), but good core already in place.
Car salesman looks at your top of the range Land Rover, strokes his chin and tells you "hmmmm its a 21 plate, now if it was 22 I could pay you a lot more, but nobody wants a 21 plate". How dare he try and bargain me down
Fuller
Just had a listen on the BBC Sounds rewind.
As mentioned, the Keena signing and the fee we paid for him was because we knew Alfie would be leaving for a fee in the summer. So we’ve already spent a big chunk of the fee from Charlton. There won’t be £200k ready to spend on a replacement. He’s already here, and good luck to both.
Robin
So where did the pizza cup money go then? Bloxham said that was brought forward to pay for Keena.
paperboy
Isn't it the norm for clubs interested in a player to sound out his agent first to see if his client is interested in a move to Newport or wherever?
Then surprisingly the only two clubs to bid are round the corner from Alfie's mums house.
Just hypothesising.
asl
Shade wrote: 07 Jul 2023, 15:59 - Alfie made it very clear he wanted to move.
Did he really??????????????
Shade wrote: 07 Jul 2023, 15:59 - Club talked to Alfie and then had gentleman's agreement that if he scored goals to keep us up, we would let him go in the summer.
I'm sorry, what?
Shade wrote: 07 Jul 2023, 15:59 - Club talked to Alfie and then had gentleman's agreement that if he scored goals to keep us up, we would let him go in the summer.
You'll have to repeat that as I don't hearye....
Shade
asl wrote: 07 Jul 2023, 18:46
I'm sorry, what?
I can shout it if ya need, or you can listen on BBC sounds.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Had Bloxham ever mentioned that until this evening, or had he just seen it on the RNF this week so repeated to Radio Glos?
asl
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 07 Jul 2023, 21:25 Had Bloxham ever mentioned that until this evening, or had he just seen it on the RNF this week so repeated to Radio Glos?
I have that much influence, so maybe the latter.

I'm still sure I heard him say it in an interview after the end of the season...
slinky_dog
asl wrote: 07 Jul 2023, 18:46
I'm sorry, what?
Reading between the lines, most of that was obvious.

Well done to the Board for securing a 3 year extension back in early 21. Also for retaining him until the end of the 2022/23 season.

Good luck Alfie.

We can use Alfie as a great case study when encouraging players to join us.
Robin
The board don't secure extensions on deals, that would have been Mr Moore with support of Duff in the face of him potentially leaving on a free to San Diego.
chelters
This transfer is a debacle, with the number of clubs interested and his value as a proven goalscorer for 2 seasons in a row in league 1 we should be getting more than 200/250k.

Let's not forget we got 400k for Gillespie and that was years ago, with less goals.
Shade
chelters wrote: 07 Jul 2023, 22:56 This transfer is a debacle, with the number of clubs interested and his value as a proven goalscorer for 2 seasons in a row in league 1 we should be getting more than 200/250k.

Let's not forget we got 400k for Gillespie and that was years ago, with less goals.
What "the number of clubs interested"? Literally says no more than 2 at any time have been interested.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
chelters wrote: 07 Jul 2023, 22:56 This transfer is a debacle, with the number of clubs interested and his value as a proven goalscorer for 2 seasons in a row in league 1 we should be getting more than 200/250k.

I think the whole thing was a stitch up.

Gillespie was a genuine transfer. As in he went to the highest bidder.

May already said after the last game of the season he loves Charlton and gave several hints. So even if there were ten clubs interested and prepared to offer £500k I think May was only ever going to Charlton. So I believe the gentleman’s agreement was essentially to let him go to Charlton for a token fee. Which is why the likes of Derby etc never bid.
Ihearye
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 08 Jul 2023, 04:23

I think the whole thing was a stitch up.

Gillespie was a genuine transfer. As in he went to the highest bidder.

May already said after the last game of the season he loves Charlton and gave several hints. So even if there were ten clubs interested and prepared to offer £500k I think May was only ever going to Charlton. So I believe the gentleman’s agreement was essentially to let him go to Charlton for a token fee. Which is why the likes of Derby etc never bid.
I agree with you. If the agent and player makes it known he has no interest in any other club, why would others join the discussion? Knowing that, May can agree better personal terms with Charlton if all know that a knock down fee is going to happen.
As for Mr Hindsight (sorry ASL),
- We shall not stand in his way, has been said about everyone player or staff that has left this club
- i you knew all this well in advance, why not tell us how and who let you know?
- I presume then you also know what the agreement was if he did not score the goals to keep us up? He wouldn't have been sold? Would be interested to hear why you didn't feel fit to share that nugget with us. That if we got relegated, he was staying.
- Or could it be that you read rumour and suspicions and random thoughts on here and then decide they are hard facts without actually knowing.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Someone asked for BBC Sounds link but deleted the post.

If anyone is interested, 2hrs 48m 25s in (after the weather):

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0ftq ... are-mobile
Robin
I don't know the exact fee but I've been reliably told that the figure is higher than £250,000, that may have been the upfront amount and no I don't know the break down of any add ons.
Jerry St Clair
So, we’ve potentially traded a lower fee (say £100k less) in exchange for a gentleman’s agreement in January that he’d stay and keep us up (which he did).

Smaller fee in exchange for L1 survival seems a good deal to me.
shevates
Dean Windass a fav player of us Cheltenham fans was transferred whilst a league one player for £225,000 from Bradford to Hull I believe at the age of 37. There have been other players in Div 1 sold for over a million also the same age as Alfie.
But if he was given a verbal promise he could leave in July and only so called 2 clubs were interested not a lot could be done. Under priced in my opinion, but goes with my blessing because he sure entertained me. My fav all time player
asl
My "hard facts", though, did turn out to be both hard and fact. Bit like libel - it ain't libellous if it turns out to be true. 😀
PittvillePundit

NO!!!!!!!

FEWER goals!
CS85
Gillespie was 23 when we sold him had loads of time and potential,obviously injuries out a stop to that.
If may was 23 this summer you'd be adding a million onto what we got for him.