Professionalising 'little old Cheltenham'

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Ihearye
Si Robin wrote: 03 May 2024, 06:44 I'm with you paperboy, and I posted as much upthread.

Whilst there are only a few clubs that don't have CEOs, that means all the clubs in turmoil also have one. FGR for example, and Carlisle.

I'm not saying we shouldn't have one, but I can't get away from the fact that as soon as we have one and they do ok, they'll be off at the first sight of bare leg from one of the bigger clubs and we're back to square one again.
One of the questions for the interview panel then , "What are you views on bare legs?"
Guess it boils down to , do you believe we are maximising our potential in off field income and relationships. If yes, then why employ a CEO or similar. If no, then should we maybe have someone who can help achieve that
Si Robin
As I said, I'm not really either for or against it.

I just don't think it's the guaranteed win some people seem to think it is.
Robin
Si Robin wrote: 03 May 2024, 06:44 I'm with you paperboy, and I posted as much upthread.

Whilst there are only a few clubs that don't have CEOs, that means all the clubs in turmoil also have one. FGR for example, and Carlisle.

I'm not saying we shouldn't have one, but I can't get away from the fact that as soon as we have one and they do ok, they'll be off at the first sight of bare leg from one of the bigger clubs and we're back to square one again.
Definitely not a magic bullet but if we can hire the right one it could help elevate the club off the field. The fact that anyone who comes in and does well will get cherry picked shouldn't be a blocker in my eyes because that is the same for DoF, Commerical Operations lead, manager at almost any league two side.
everyman
Robin wrote: 02 Mar 2023, 17:40 Nesty wrote a thread about us having too many staff, he wasn't sure what they were all doing and that we never used too need this in the past. A few responded that comparatively we have a light coaching staff and a full time goal keeping coach, and two assistant coaches is still quite lean (I believe Barnsley and MK Dons have 3 performances analysts each to our one by comparison). I don't know conclusively but I believe our commercial arm is even leaner and heavilly reliant upon students (on work experience), volunteers and some relatively low paid staff.
I`m sure we exploit the student experience to the max. cheapest option is the Mantra here !
everyman
Anteros wrote: 02 Mar 2023, 17:37 The board would be worried a CEO would want to spend a load of money. If they were ambitious they may want to employ more people and invest in different ventures.
They don`t want the tail to wag the old dog ?
everyman
paperboy wrote: 02 May 2024, 20:18 I'm probably in the minority in thinking that a CEO isn't necessarily a magic bullet.
We couldn't keep commercial personnel for any length of time for starters, but there's no denying that having lost two directors the board definitely don't have all the different skill sets needed.
A golden chance for supporters who think they can offer something to move us forward to make themselves known, possibly through Dave Beesley who has a foot in both camps.
Agree ! If we had the right board we could manage the CEO role without employing someone,but at the moment despite all giving their time to the club i can`t see any of them having the ability to carry out the neccessary responsiblity of the role even by sharing the job.
horlickfanclub
Robin wrote: 02 Mar 2023, 16:20
longmover wrote: 02 Mar 2023, 15:08
Si Robin wrote: 02 Mar 2023, 14:15 It's not resentment, it's a genuine question.

The wage for a CEO could be spent on a player. Is a CEO a necessity? Given we go through Media manager's like a fat kid goes through cake, if we appointed one on the pittance wages we pay our club staff, then it probably wouldn't be long before we're looking for a replacement, year on year on year.

I'm not against it - I personally don't know enough about what they do to comment fully. I do know that our wage structure for the non-playing staff is shite though.
A CEO would be more beneficial to the club than some of the "players" we have on the books .
Presumably you are talking about squad players who are likely earning relatively low wages of maybe £40-60k a year, some maybe less than that. What sort of CEO is going to come to us on those sorts of wages? I honestly think it could cost us £100k per annum with bonuses.

I feel RCS is on the right track it's not just the cost of the CEO it's the staff underneath him (or her) that will need to be appointed.
In an earlier post you were estimating £60,000 -£80,000. Now its £100,000 plus bonuses. With a daily wage rise like that can I can and work for you Robin?
horlickfanclub
As the Chairman and Paul Baker have explained how the club works without a C,E,O. and some here and the Trust have a different (non costed) view why not give Paul Godfrey the title "Operations Director" and the Chairman ,"Managing Director" . Two elevated job titles at no expense . Sign a top striker then everyone is happy.
everyman
horlickfanclub wrote: 03 May 2024, 10:19 As the Chairman and Paul Baker have explained how the club works without a C,E,O. and some here and the Trust have a different (non costed) view why not give Paul Godfrey the title "Operations Director" and the Chairman ,"Managing Director" . Two elevated job titles at no expense . Sign a top striker then everyone is happy.
Paul Godfrey has more responsibility than anyone on the board,enough is enough !
Jerry St Clair
Si Robin wrote: 03 May 2024, 07:48 As I said, I'm not really either for or against it.

I just don't think it's the guaranteed win some people seem to think it is.
A bad appointment will be a costly folly, a good appointment will put rocket boosters under our off-field activity.

The core problem we have is the slow pace of development and that is surely caused by it all being done by part-time volunteers (except Paul Godfrey).

A (good) CEO would solve that.
Robin
horlickfanclub wrote: 03 May 2024, 10:10
Robin wrote: 02 Mar 2023, 16:20
longmover wrote: 02 Mar 2023, 15:08

A CEO would be more beneficial to the club than some of the "players" we have on the books .
Presumably you are talking about squad players who are likely earning relatively low wages of maybe £40-60k a year, some maybe less than that. What sort of CEO is going to come to us on those sorts of wages? I honestly think it could cost us £100k per annum with bonuses.

I feel RCS is on the right track it's not just the cost of the CEO it's the staff underneath him (or her) that will need to be appointed.
In an earlier post you were estimating £60,000 -£80,000. Now its £100,000 plus bonuses. With a daily wage rise like that can I can and work for you Robin?
Sorry it's not clear to you but the £100k is with/including bonuses, i.e we give them the base salary of £60-80k but heavily incentivise the revenue generation to drive a bonus up to £100k. A 20% bonus based upon surpassing targets for that role is perfectly normal.