General Election 2024

WARNING: This section may contain jokes or topics of an offensive nature.
Recommended for over 18's only. Send Admin a PM to request exclusion.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

ctfc-fan
Thought it wouldn’t hurt to have a thread!

I’ll start… National Service, yay or nay?

For me I think it’s a yes and hopefully kick some sense into some of the lazy feckers
paperboy
asl
I'm not against the idea of national service, tbh. I think it's likely to appeal to the so-called Grey Vote, too. I've worked with a few people from countries with such a scheme (usually, they have to do a minimum period of service before a specific age) and they've all opted to pay a sum to avoid it, instead. In some cases, that's not actually a legal option and is, essentially, a bribe helping to fuel that country's corruption.

Despite the fact that I have voted blue in (almost) every election until the last one, I truly believe this government, from BoJo onwards, has made their party unelectable for a generation. For me, persisting with the Rwanda policy that is as bonkers as it is just plain nasty, is the last straw.
Shade
I cba to look into it, but would it be mandatory national service for every 18 year old? If so, it's stupid. If it's just for those who want to take it up voluntarily or those out of work but able, then fine. The only thing I can remember about national service worldwide is that Heung Min Son had to have a couple of months off from Spurs to go back and complete his before he was 27 or 28, iirc, otherwise he would have broken South Korean law.

I know I'm not the only one to say this, but I can't see me voting this time around. They're all absolutely s#!t. And, no matter who gets in, the country won't improve, no matter which policies are employed.
asl
Labour have made a seismic lurch back to the centre since Corbyn was ousted. The Tories are just heading more and more to the right in order to appease the racist intolerant elements of the population. Unfortunately for them, Reform are already mopping up the remnants of UKIP support so they'll end up making sure Labour get in.

Well done, David Cameron - this is all your feckin' fault, sucking up to UKIP.
paperboy
asl wrote: 27 May 2024, 14:46 Labour have made a seismic lurch back to the centre since Corbyn was ousted. The Tories are just heading more and more to the right in order to appease the racist intolerant elements of the population. Unfortunately for them, Reform are already mopping up the remnants of UKIP support so they'll end up making sure Labour get in.

Well done, David Cameron - this is all your feckin' fault, sucking up to UKIP.
Lord Cameron get it right please.

AKA Dodgy Dave
asl
Shocking news about Diane Abbott being de-selected. She's been a Labour MP for thirty-five years - that's two decades. Does half a century sitting in the Commons count for nothing?
ctfc-fan
asl wrote:Shocking news about Diane Abbott being de-selected. She's been a Labour MP for thirty-five years - that's two decades. Does half a century sitting in the Commons count for nothing?
ImageImage
paperboy
ctfc-fan wrote: 29 May 2024, 20:35
asl wrote:Shocking news about Diane Abbott being de-selected. She's been a Labour MP for thirty-five years - that's two decades. Does half a century sitting in the Commons count for nothing?
ImageImage
Yes, shocking,
It just doesn't add up does it.
Red Duke
asl wrote: 29 May 2024, 17:56 Shocking news about Diane Abbott being de-selected. She's been a Labour MP for thirty-five years - that's two decades. Does half a century sitting in the Commons count for nothing?
One of your classic wind-ups ASL! Comparing your numeric skills to hers! :lol: :lol: