Euro 2024

Talk about other football teams at all levels. AND ANY Glos City related threads, even if talking about the groundsharing.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

asl
I had a choice tonight: 2 hours of badminton in a ridiculously-hot hall sweating my balls off - or getting bored senseless by watching England do 'just enough'.

I chose correctly and I'm about 5lb lighter as a bonus...
Shade
I'm generally not one to jump on the Southgate is useless bandwagon, and God knows how he is supposed to please everyone when millions of people are all saying he's wrong, but rarely agree on who should be playing or where themselves. But I really don't understand how, tournament after tournament, fans are begging for a player to play, and he sticks with the same underperforming player on the pitch. It was Sterling out with fans desperate for Grealish 3 years ago. This time, Bellingham looks more burnt out than I've ever seen anyone look and has offered nothing since his goal 10 minutes into the first game, yet he's played every minute, with Gordon coming on with 4 minutes to go last night (and then playing the best pass of the match).

Saka is the only one of the forwards who looks like he's had energy in every game but has nobody up there to play him in behind or for him to find with a pass or cross when he has had it. Foden looked better last night, but it's clear he doesn't want to be on the left. So, take Bellingham out, give him a rest, he can't win us the tournament if he's f#!$ and he's offering nothing. He will be back in 2/4/6/8/10 years as one of the best in the world, with more experience. Play Foden in the middle, Gordon on the left, Saka on the right (or maybe Palmer, as he was alright when he came on despite hitting his chance straight at the keeper). As for Kane...I'd keep him but bring Watkins on after 45/60 if it's not working, not wait until it's too late.

One thing to remember, though, is that we usually play c!#p football in the group stages unless the opposition is utterly woeful (see Panama and Iran) but get better in the knockouts against the better teams who have more attacking intentions, leaving more space for our forward players - even though we usually end up losing those games by a goal or on penalties.
asl
Agreed about dropping Bellingham - he clearly needs a rest (though I thought he played really well in the first match - not just the first 10 mins). Couldn't believe that Palmer only got 15 mins and Gordon even less, last night. Our left flank is a concern and Trippier for Shaw (assuming he's fit - if not, what a waste of a squad-number) seems sensible.

Southgate doesn't seem to understand why they're getting so much stick: it's because we have a world-class array of attacking talent and yet the team tactics and instructions appear to be nullifying that talent, FFS... We don't expect to win every game 3-0 - but it's quite reasonable to expect more shots on target and a higher xg than we currently get. It's just sooooo feckin' DULL watching England play - that's why everyone is on your back and why you got booed off the pitch despite finishing top of the group, you plank. Yes, we've scored exactly the same number of goals as France - but at least they try to stick the ball in the back of the net. Watching England is like that old Harry Enfield cine-news sketch where a 1920's team played Liverpool of the 90's and spent all their time ponsing about, being polite and not going anywhere. I'm desperately hoping for a similar half-time turnaround, even if that means lamping one of our under-performing players.
asl
At least we've seen one nation playing with pride, energy and ambition under the flag of St George...
Shade
And we have seen other "big" nations losing against smaller nations. To be honest, of the "big" nations, only Spain have looked on anything like top form.
Shade
We've got 24 hours to take the p!## out of Italy, until it happens to us tomorrow

Or

We've got 5 or 6 days to take the p!## out of Italy until Switzerland knock us out too :P
CTFCfan99
Denmark have been absolutely robbed by VAR. First a goal ruled out for being a toenail offside, then a penalty awarded to Germany for a ball smashed into the defenders hand from point blank range. And to top it off, Havertz completely stopped during his run up for the penalty!

Think we can all agree, whether the decisions were technically correct or not, that this is not what VAR should be for and the rules need re-writing.
ctfc-fan
CTFCfan99 wrote:Denmark have been absolutely robbed by VAR. First a goal ruled out for being a toenail offside, then a penalty awarded to Germany for a ball smashed into the defenders hand from point blank range. And to top it off, Havertz completely stopped during his run up for the penalty!

Think we can all agree, whether the decisions were technically correct or not, that this is not what VAR should be for and the rules need re-writing.
I thought the same about the penalty run up. He totally stopped.

Then why did the danish player get a yellow for the clash of heads when the German player ran into him?!
Shade
Utterly agree, he completely stopped in the run up. It was a disgrace.

Much like this England performance and the managers "tactical" ability.
asl
We're trying to bore our way through the tournament.
Broadway Brian
asl wrote:We're trying to bore our way through the tournament.
Our David Platt moment today. Mega Italia ‘90 vibes.

Bellingham with the winner in the final for sure.
Shade
Broadway Brian wrote: 30 Jun 2024, 20:46
asl wrote:We're trying to bore our way through the tournament.
Our David Platt moment today. Mega Italia ‘90 vibes.

Bellingham with the winner in the final for sure.
Hopefully it sparks them into life, we will need to be a lot better v the Swiss. Guehi suspended but I think we would look better with 3 at the back, high wing backs, and Toney up there with Kane. Toney made such a difference with his physicality, pressing and hold up play, not to mention the header across to Kane.

Or, ladies and gentlemen, four-four-f#!$-two.
asl
Even after Kane's goal, we immediately sat back. Yes, I fear a like-for-like replacement at the back. Also, if Shaw still isn't fit four games in, wtf have we wasted a squad number on him for???

Agreed about Toney - he made a huge difference when he came on.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
CTFCfan99 wrote: 29 Jun 2024, 20:44 Denmark have been absolutely robbed by VAR. First a goal ruled out for being a toenail offside, then a penalty awarded to Germany for a ball smashed into the defenders hand from point blank range. And to top it off, Havertz completely stopped during his run up for the penalty!

Completely agree about the rules. That’s not what offside was designed for at all.

I’d say any overlap between players is onside, and there has to be clear daylight between players to be offside.
asl
I think they should adopt a version of "umpire's call" to cater for ridiculously-marginal decisions where the on-field call stands if offside by, say, <10%.
Shade
asl wrote: 01 Jul 2024, 12:37 I think they should adopt a version of "umpire's call" to cater for ridiculously-marginal decisions where the on-field call stands if offside by, say, <10%.
Best idea I've seen. There would still be controversial decisions though and discussions about 10% being too little/much, etc. The offside rule has forever, and will forever, be a debate, no matter what. Part of the game, innit.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
England are going to win the Euros.

The vibes are changing and it’s one of those things one just feel is going to happen. Once we get to this time next week with a new government and getting ready for a semi-final the vibes momentum shift will be unstoppable.

It’s coming home.

Bellingham for Ballon d’Or 2024.

Start planning where you want to watch the final and who with.
CTFCfan99
asl wrote: 01 Jul 2024, 12:37 I think they should adopt a version of "umpire's call" to cater for ridiculously-marginal decisions where the on-field call stands if offside by, say, <10%.
This is what I think too. Make the line say 15cm thick, anything within that line you stick with the on-field decision.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
:oops:
CTFCfan99 wrote: 02 Jul 2024, 14:33
This is what I think too. Make the line say 15cm thick, anything within that line you stick with the on-field decision.
That would require an on-field decision to be made. Current protocol is for the flag to stay down so as not to stop play, and for VAR to then check if a goal is scored. That shouldn’t be a problem though and I agree with you.

England won’t be needing VAR to win it anyway so who cares for now!!!
CTFCfan99
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 02 Jul 2024, 14:36 :oops:
That would require an on-field decision to be made. Current protocol is for the flag to stay down so as not to stop play, and for VAR to then check if a goal is scored. That shouldn’t be a problem though and I agree with you.

Decisions are made on-field, they just allow the attack to play out first - plenty of examples of linesmen putting their flag up late. It's a simple solution that I'm sure will never, ever be used :lol:

Anyway, hopefully there's a bit of a confidence in the squad now after Sunday's miracle!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
CTFCfan99 wrote: 02 Jul 2024, 15:00
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 02 Jul 2024, 14:36 :oops:

Decisions are made on-field, they just allow the attack to play out first - plenty of examples of linesmen putting their flag up late. It's a simple solution that I'm sure will never, ever be used :lol:

Anyway, hopefully there's a bit of a confidence in the squad now after Sunday's miracle!
It’s coming home.
Shade
Reports suggesting Southgate might revert to 3 at the back v Switzerland, as I suggested a few posts ago. He had success with it at World Cup 2018, but keeps changing it and trying to play 4-3-3, which never looks as good, probably because the defence looks vulnerable and they're all s#!t scared of losing the ball. Tried it at Euro 2020, we were c!#p in the group stages but clawed our way through, before he reverted to 3 at the back and we got to the final. WC 2022, could have been a different story but for a missed penalty, we'll skip that one. If he goes 3 at the back form now on I think we will get to the final again. The players are more comfortable with it.
CTFCfan99
Shade wrote: 04 Jul 2024, 11:13 Reports suggesting Southgate might revert to 3 at the back v Switzerland, as I suggested a few posts ago. He had success with it at World Cup 2018, but keeps changing it and trying to play 4-3-3, which never looks as good, probably because the defence looks vulnerable and they're all s#!t scared of losing the ball. Tried it at Euro 2020, we were c!#p in the group stages but clawed our way through, before he reverted to 3 at the back and we got to the final. WC 2022, could have been a different story but for a missed penalty, we'll skip that one. If he goes 3 at the back form now on I think we will get to the final again. The players are more comfortable with it.
Agree completely, I think we'll see a much improved team now.

And if we don't win it or get to the final, at least he's finally given it a go and changed what wasn't working - that's all any of us wanted!
Ihearye
asl wrote: 01 Jul 2024, 07:54 Even after Kane's goal, we immediately sat back. Yes, I fear a like-for-like replacement at the back. Also, if Shaw still isn't fit four games in, wtf have we wasted a squad number on him for???

Agreed about Toney - he made a huge difference when he came on.
you could have bet your house on that
Shade
When Danny Wright slotted in his second in a minute at Dover in January 2016, the BT Sport commentator proclaimed that it was a sure sign of champions to play poorly but still find a way to win. And we did become champions.

Confidence is still fairly low despite England definitely being better today, but maybe...just maybe...?
asl
Confidence looked high in the shoot-out!

Yes, undeniably better - but still only marginally better than watching France.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
No need to debate. England are going to win it. The vibes/momentum have been obvious since Tuesday that we are winning it. Relax and enjoy it.
Red Duke
The tactics from England are so safety first, it is unbelievable, In the last three games I have been counting the number of passes back to the keeper in the first minute of possession.

Slovenia - 4
Solvakia - 4
Switzerland - 3

How negative can you be!

They only attacked with purpose once they were 1-0 down against Switzerland. As soon as they equalised it was back to the safety first - no risk football.

England are so predictable, it is easy for the opposition to nullify any potential attacking threat.

For example, why don't Trippier and Sako swop sides from time to time?

Just try and do something different!
asl
The pass back to the keeper from a corner (not directly - but, still...) takes some beating! Honourable mention for the free-kick just inside the Swiss half that went backwards to the defence.
Red Duke
asl wrote: 07 Jul 2024, 16:34 The pass back to the keeper from a corner (not directly - but, still...) takes some beating! Honourable mention for the free-kick just inside the Swiss half that went backwards to the defence.
Thanks for the reminder, NOT! I have tried to wipe such risk averse football from my mind.
Shade
Well, we’re at the stage now where I don’t really care how bad we play as long as we win. Thankful for any semi-finals and beyond, we have been so starved of them until the last 6 years. It would be nice if we turned up v the Dutch and did a Euro 96 to them, though.
longmover
France have not scored a goal in open play yet (pretty sure), no team should be allowed to walk away with the trophy having not scored in open play.
Si Robin
They've scored two from open play, but both were own goals.
Shade
And now they're going home.

Defence has failed against an attacking team. Hopefully our boys have taken note.
asl
Now *that's* the England we knew that squad could be !