2014-15 Home Kit

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

cliffy90
We will be returning to red and white, no more ruby. Also we have extended the contract with Errea. I'm sure many fans won't be pleased to hear this. Here are the three options: http://www.ctfc.com/news/article/new-ho ... 98211.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by cliffy90 on 17 Jan 2014, 09:35, edited 1 time in total.
C.V
Awful options why not stick to the ruby its been a massive hit with the fans.Who makes these decisions have they no common sense. :cry:
cliffy90
Very disappointed with this. There should have been a ruby option.
baggy89
Does the 1 choice come with the options of having Nicholas, Adams, Anderson, Sansom, etc on the back?

None particularly inspiring. 2 for me, if any, at least in the battle of 80's replica kits it looks quite similar to the Aberdeen one.

1. Image

2. Image

3. Image
Benctfc
Annoyed we are not sticking with ruby it was unique and popular poor decision by the club.
Circa 1887
Agree with the sentiments above; disappointing that we are going back to standard red and the options aren't fantastic. It would have been nice to have a fans poll on that.

At a push, i'd take Option 1. Option 3 looks rubbish and 2 looks like a douzen other kits we've worn.
Last edited by Circa 1887 on 17 Jan 2014, 09:53, edited 1 time in total.
Robin
Horrid!! Someone has got this so badly wrong, talk about a disconnect with the fans!!
Uppy
Going in the complete wrong direction. We don't need to return to the old colour so that we can still be the robins; we need to completely ditch the nickname and go full steam ahead as the rubies. Robins is generic and overused. Bristol City and Swindon are both the robins aren't they? I know there's a few clubs that are.

All of the chats with PB had people saying that they love the ruby kit and he completely disregards it.
Spratley Bagweed
Terrible decision.

Very very poorly thought through.

Disappointed.

SB
Si Robin
Robin wrote:Horrid!! Someone has got this so badly wrong, talk about a disconnect with the fans!!
For once Robin, I completely agree with you.
C.V
Saw this and instantly thought of the fiasco going on at Hull.The chairman there is doing a similar thing changing the club nickname and the fans are in up roar.I strongly think the fans would be happy to see us re branded as the Rubies there are far to many teams called the Robins.Why dont chairman listen to the fans Paul Baker has said in the past the Ruby kit is popular with the fans.Why change it.
Circa 1887
Maybe it is a deliberate Coke/New-Coke ploy by the board.
Si Robin
Their chairman is changing the proper name to their nickname CV, slightly more extreme.

I am annoyed that the Board and PB have appeared to ignore the general consensus though.
solihullkev
Poor form ; having created an entirely unique identity we now will be following like sheep to a cloned status (Arsenal / Morecambe ; Stoke / Sunderland etc ; Bristol C / Swindon etc)

Regressive and poorly thought out move. Nonsense.
kora
Totally agree, all the fans I've spoken to think the ruby kits are the best they've seen. Come on Paul, listen to the fans and stay ruby.
Robin
Can we not call ourselves the Ruby Robins? That way we keep the colour and do not need to rebrand the logos!
Taz1985
Ok, if you all strongly disagree with it, the eithere:

a) e-mail the club about it. James' e-mail address is on the article. Or
b) start a petition, although you would probably need at least 1500 names for the club to listen.

I am disappointed we are going back to red as well, as i much prefer the Ruby colour.
51/84
I cannot prove it but I believe its an economic decision
1 Errera give us better credit and you may find other clubs elsewhere with a similar kit so bring down the cost of an item to produce
2 I was lead to believe that the 1st ruby kit had to have a special order of material hence when it ran out no more was available
3 Something different so will sell to the people who want to be uptodate

Based on some or all of these comments
What happens to the ruby scarves - replaced - hence more sales
Why not go the whole way and play in blue stripes at home, if its good enough for the bluebirds to play in red we as robins could play in blue
baggy89
Robin wrote:Can we not call ourselves the Ruby Robins? That way we keep the colour and do not need to rebrand the logos!
Exactly it's not even as if a Robins breast is actually red, it's orange...
Laurence
Unlike some tweeters and facebookers, I had no idea ruby was "part of our history" until the ruby kit was launched - so, I don't buy into that argument. However, ruby is unique, and for a club that doesn't have much of an identity it would make sense to keep it as the main colour. Furthermore, ruby was embraced by the supporters (me included) and I suspect the club would would sell more ruby shirts - not just to Cheltenham supporters but to football hipsters all over the world - than any of the options on offer here. From that perspective, it seems a poor move.

That said, the stripes are associated with the most successful period in the club's history. Also, if the club were committed to the white sleeves option, why not just call it a Southern League Champions 30th anniversary kit. We'd all think it was a great idea.
Robin
51/84 wrote:I cannot prove it but I believe its an economic decision
1 Errera give us better credit and you may find other clubs elsewhere with a similar kit so bring down the cost of an item to produce
2 I was lead to believe that the 1st ruby kit had to have a special order of material hence when it ran out no more was available
3 Something different so will sell to the people who want to be uptodate

Based on some or all of these comments
What happens to the ruby scarves - replaced - hence more sales
Why not go the whole way and play in blue stripes at home, if its good enough for the bluebirds to play in red we as robins could play in blue

I think you are right, I suspect the real issue is that Ruby is more expensive so the margins are lower for Errea and the club. That said if we go back to Red & White stripes I will not be buying them so I am sure sales will drop.
Shade
Boooooooooooooo
Joey
The golden days of the 'ruby era' are truly coming to an end.

It was fun while it lasted.
Robin
I believe we as fans can prevent this by making our feelings known, PB does tend to listen but we need to be vocal.
CTFC03
Not seen 1 positive comment on Twitter about any of these kits, hopefully the board will change their minds on this.
Artemis
Oh dear! Option 2 looks just about palatable. As for the others, oh dearie me. But at least none have black in the them...

As for the cost argument over the shade of the material, is the ruby kit really that different from half a dozen or so teams that play in claret, and therefore no more or less expensive to make.

As an additional option, I would love to return to the strip that we wore in the 95 - 96 season (or some time around then). The black and red one with the white triangles down one arm - that was unique! I recall seeing one at the play off final a couple of seasons ago. (although my Empress sponsored red and white one was older!)
Alf
It's like politics. Get the punters engrossed in something fairly trivial and it takes the focus away from the real problems.
Powelly
If enough people make enough noise i'm sure Paul will take it on board and probably do a bit of a U turn.
CTFClad
I would imagine it's down to Errea more than anything
Joey
CTFClad wrote:I would imagine it's down to Errea more than anything
So Superkoz was right?

I never thought I'd say that.

:shock:
Artemis
CTFClad wrote:I would imagine it's down to Errea more than anything

No, the club choose the kit supplier by way of agreeing a deal with a company. I guess that deal was based on us choosing a kit from those already available or templated, rather than us choosing a kit and them making it.
Scarface
won't be purchasing that shirt! Agree with the Ruby comments
Malabus
All look nice. And I prefer red+white. Option 1 - red with white sleeves looked best on first glance. It's just kit and isn't important.
Artemis
Malabus wrote:All look nice. And I prefer red+white. Option 1 - red with white sleeves looked best on first glance. It's just kit and isn't important.
Yes, it is just kit, but it is also about identity. I can see why PB has gone back to the red and white / Robins theme. It is the corporate branding, for which we have a logo (albeit one that looks like a jesters hat at first glance, but is a Robin) and in which the club has invested. For the last couple of seasons, we've been confusing that by calling ourselves the Rubies and playing in Ruby Red (or claret!). Its clearly time to decide - Robins or Rubies - and PB and the board have gone with the former. I don't agree with that decision, as I think there is a unique branding opportunity with Ruby, but that would require more than just a shirt change - the logo and wider branding / colour scheme would need to be changed to ruby - all of which require significant investment.
thetonga
Out if the three I'd choose the second one but would prefer black shorts.