Former players

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Tozer’s injection of slowness into Wrexham’s back line seeing them concede two in the first half at Grimsby.
ctfc-fan
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Tozer’s injection of slowness into Wrexham’s back line seeing them concede two in the first half at Grimsby.
And then lose 3-1. For me Wrexham are going to be like FGR, hated and hope they stay down, hate seeing money being thrown around willynilly.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
ctfc-fan wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Tozer’s injection of slowness into Wrexham’s back line seeing them concede two in the first half at Grimsby.
And then lose 3-1. For me Wrexham are going to be like FGR, hated and hope they stay down, hate seeing money being thrown around willynilly.
Speaking of nilly willy, he is one fan’s review of Towel:

https://mobile.twitter.com/LeonWilliams ... 1609474048" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:lol: :lol:
ctfc-fan
Just shows what might work with one team might not for another. Never mind!
Si Robin
It's almost like those of us saying Will Boyle was just as important to the long throw working knew what we were talking about.

For what it's worth, Tozer is getting a lot of praise on their forum for his calmness on the ball.
Pie
Si Robin wrote:It's almost like those of us saying Will Boyle was just as important to the long throw working knew what we were talking about.

For what it's worth, Tozer is getting a lot of praise on their forum for his calmness on the ball.
He’s also being blamed for a lot of the goals they’ve conceded though.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Pie wrote:
Si Robin wrote:It's almost like those of us saying Will Boyle was just as important to the long throw working knew what we were talking about.

He’s also being blamed for a lot of the goals they’ve conceded though.
We’re all familiar with the heart in mouth moments whenever the ball was heading towards him as last man.
little mo
The first season we used Tozers long throw i remember saying to my son what an amazing throw that is but,do we ever score from it. Then the second season it really started working well. You need the right people on the end of it.The throw will be exactly the same.
longmover
6k at Grimsby last night
Fuller
Billy Waters two goals for Halifax last night.
Alex Addai has signed a short term contract at Torquay.
Anyone heard where Chris Clements is? Might still be recovering from his injury though. Hope he gets sorted soon.
Pie
Clem is still a free agent - surprised to be honest.
longmover
Fuller wrote:Billy Waters two goals for Halifax last night.
Alex Addai has signed a short term contract at Torquay.
Anyone heard where Chris Clements is? Might still be recovering from his injury though. Hope he gets sorted soon.
Not a brilliant start for GJ (20TH) and he's apologized to Torq fans for the poor start, is this the start of the END!!!
horlickfanclub
He is saying some of his players are not up to it. Deja Vu.
longmover
horlickfanclub wrote:He is saying some of his players are not up to it. Deja Vu.
I actually think this is part of his exit strategy
Pie
longmover wrote:
horlickfanclub wrote:He is saying some of his players are not up to it. Deja Vu.
I actually think this is part of his exit strategy
He is very quick to blame players, did it at Yeovil and lost the fans instantly. Shocking when you think he took them up to the Championship.
Shade
Has he ever turned things around and recovered from a bad spell? It seems to me like he has a good spell when he joins a club that can last 1-3 seasons, and then when things get tough it's the players faults and he loses them and eventually he ends up sacked. The difference between a good manager and a great manager (obviously blaming the players and letting standards slip is bad management, but I meant overall).
longmover
Shade wrote:Has he ever turned things around and recovered from a bad spell? It seems to me like he has a good spell when he joins a club that can last 1-3 seasons, and then when things get tough it's the players faults and he loses them and eventually he ends up sacked. The difference between a good manager and a great manager (obviously blaming the players and letting standards slip is bad management, but I meant overall).
Good point, personally I don't think he has any interest in trying to turn things round.
Red Duke
Shade wrote:Has he ever turned things around and recovered from a bad spell? It seems to me like he has a good spell when he joins a club that can last 1-3 seasons, and then when things get tough it's the players faults and he loses them and eventually he ends up sacked. The difference between a good manager and a great manager (obviously blaming the players and letting standards slip is bad management, but I meant overall).
Lower league Mourinho?
bigdavejambo
Antonio scores for West Ham in europe - is he the first ex CTFC player to achieve this?
Artemis
Connor Goldson scored once for Rangers in Europa League in 2018/19 season. May well be others before him, I just haven't found them.
Maybe Marley Watkins for Aberdeen?

Although I suspect Antonio is the first ex CTFC player to score for West Ham in European competition.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
bigdavejambo wrote:Antonio scores for West Ham in europe - is he the first ex CTFC player to achieve this?
Quite possibly!

Berchiche has scored in La Liga, Copa Del Rey, Ligue 1 but not in his Champions League appearances.

Marley Watkins left Inverness CT to move up a level to Barnsley at the start of the season they played in Europe.

Can’t think of anyone else who would have played in Europe.

McCann of course has scored international goals, as did Hayles, and probably others.
Flux
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
bigdavejambo wrote:Antonio scores for West Ham in europe - is he the first ex CTFC player to achieve this?
Quite possibly!

Berchiche has scored in La Liga, Copa Del Rey, Ligue 1 but not in his Champions League appearances.

Marley Watkins left Inverness CT to move up a level to Barnsley at the start of the season they played in Europe.

McCann of course has scored international goals, as did Hayles, and probably others.
Can only think of

O'Shaunghessy scored in the Europa League with HJK

Eylofsson scored for Rosenberg in the Champions League against Norrkoping
Shade
Johnny Hayes has scored in the Europa League. Appeared in the Champions League for Celtic but didn’t score.
Artemis
Shade wrote:Johnny Hayes has scored in the Europa League. Appeared in the Champions League for Celtic but didn’t score.
As early as the 2014/15 season in a Europa League 1st qualifying round 5-0 win for Aberdeen.
Warwickshire Robin
Just been reading an article on Lincolnshire Live about Josh Griffiths and his tough start to life with Lincoln.

https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/spor ... om-5930714" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Appleton makes a very strange comment in that apparently “He’s been asked to do something that he didn’t do at Cheltenham last year. It was very much go and hit the striker from dead-ball situations and play from there. We’re asking him to do something a little bit different, but if he wants to kick on in his career and play in the Premier League, he’s going to have to get used to that because the majority of the teams will do that.”

I know he was recovering from serious illness for part of the time but I don't think Mr Appleton got to see too much of us play last year in that case, or he needs to get some better scouting reports!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Warwickshire Robin wrote:Just been reading an article on Lincolnshire Live about Josh Griffiths and his tough start to life with Lincoln.

https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/spor ... om-5930714" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Appleton makes a very strange comment in that apparently “He’s been asked to do something that he didn’t do at Cheltenham last year. It was very much go and hit the striker from dead-ball situations and play from there. We’re asking him to do something a little bit different, but if he wants to kick on in his career and play in the Premier League, he’s going to have to get used to that because the majority of the teams will do that.”

I know he was recovering from serious illness for part of the time but I don't think Mr Appleton got to see too much of us play last year in that case, or he needs to get some better scouting reports!
Another lower league clown manager. Every time one reads nonsense like this it provides more reassurance that with Duff in charge we will be fine this season and could even pull of a big surprise.
Shade
That is so wrong that it took me 3 reads before I understood what he was on about. Oh well, hopefully when we play Lincoln he will expect us to be going long all the time :lol:
longmover
Warwickshire Robin wrote:Just been reading an article on Lincolnshire Live about Josh Griffiths and his tough start to life with Lincoln.

Another lower league clown manager. Every time one reads nonsense like this it provides more reassurance that with Duff in charge we will be fine this season and could even pull of a big surprise.
So is Appleton saying that he is a premier league standard manager then? But just biding his time in league one.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Nuneaton for Clem

https://southern-football-league.co.uk/ ... tk.twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hubert Parry
I'm going to be generous to Appleton and assume that he is making a convenient excuse to shield JG from criticism.
paperboy
Jonte Smith signs for United.....

Ballymena who play in the NIFL
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Holman with two goals today in a 5-0 win. Nice to see Dan back scoring.
everyman
Quite possibly!

Kemar Roofe !!
Nesty
Tozer crocked yesterday, Wrexham were 2-0 up when game called off due to waterlogged pitch.
HamTown
Plymouth top of the table and positively gushing over Broom who scored today