Former players

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:If only he had shown some of it for us. He was with us half a season and what did he do? OK, the season was ended early but his stats were zero after zero and MD obviously didn't think enough was coming from him.
Played pretty well in the games - movement and ball playing was good I thought. But yes, I trust in Duff so bow to the expertise of someone who knows what they are doing!
Fuller
Nichols was an excellent player earlier in his career but then lost his way.
Fair play to Yemms, he’s getting the best out of him again.
Hubert Parry
I thought Duff tried to sign Nichols but couldn't guarantee that he would start most games? Always said he was a good player, just needed the right environment. Think he would have done well here.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Fuller wrote:Nichols was an excellent player earlier in his career but then lost his way.
Fair play to Yemms, he’s getting the best out of him again.
They maybe 12, but Crawley are just six points behind with two games in hand.

Crawley play at Cambridge on Saturday, so hopefully Nichols can help make that game a draw.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Hubert Parry wrote:I thought Duff tried to sign Nichols but couldn't guarantee that he would start most games? Always said he was a good player, just needed the right environment. Think he would have done well here.
This article would back that up: https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/foo ... om-4481898" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
paperboy
Calvin Kalala- strange tale.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sport ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Billy Waters pops up with an injury time equaliser for Torquay. I didn’t even know he was there now.
little mo
He scored on Saturday as well.
Fuller
Billy Waters has been at Torquay since October.
He was one of our best players in 2016/17 and his goals helped us stay up that season.
His move to Northampton was a bit of a disaster but good to see him back amongst the goals.
Shade
Another one to add to the long list of players who did reasonably well for us, attempted to play at a higher (or the same) level with someone else, failed, and ended up in a lower league. You can't fault ambition, but the grass ain't always greener.
horlickfanclub
It will be interesting to see how the Kalala story develops. His departure from CTFC wasa bit odd.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Asa and Billy both score in a 2-1 win away at Solihull.

Asa also scored two in a defeat on Saturday. Pleased to see him getting a run of games without injury.
longmover
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Asa and Billy both score in a 2-1 win away at Solihull.

Asa also scored two in a defeat on Saturday. Pleased to see him getting a run of games without injury.
Going to be interesting to see what GJ does with his squad when Torquay get promoted as it was quite obvious that a few players cant make the jump up to the league standard and fell by the wayside. Is he going to give them a chance or let them go?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
longmover wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Asa and Billy both score in a 2-1 win away at Solihull.

Going to be interesting to see what GJ does with his squad when Torquay get promoted as it was quite obvious that a few players cant make the jump up to the league standard and fell by the wayside. Is he going to give them a chance or let them go?
Indeed. Maybe a mix and match. Billy I suspect will stay...Asa is league quality but plagued by injuries (I believe we would have stayed up under Yates had he not got injured) so deserves another go. Can’t speak for the rest.
CTFCfan99
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
longmover wrote:

Indeed. Maybe a mix and match. Billy I suspect will stay...Asa is league quality but plagued by injuries (I believe we would have stayed up under Yates had he not got injured) so deserves another go. Can’t speak for the rest.
Seems like Asa has really found his feet at Torquay, really pleased to see him playing regularly and chpping in with a few goals too. I'm sure GJ will have learned his lesson from us and will be recruiting some experienced players if and when they're promoted.
Fuller
Surprised to see Asa is now 34, but remember he was a regular starter with Luton, Oxford & Shrewsbury earlier in his career.
I was also surprised to see that he played 32 games for us in 2015/16, I always thought in that season that Stoz, Pell, Munns & Rowe were our main midfielders?
Think it took Asa a while to get his fitness back after missing all of 2014/15, and he did fill in at centre half too.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Fuller wrote:Surprised to see Asa is now 34, but remember he was a regular starter with Luton, Oxford & Shrewsbury earlier in his career.
I was also surprised to see that he played 32 games for us in 2015/16, I always thought in that season that Stoz, Pell, Munns & Rowe were our main midfielders?
Think it took Asa a while to get his fitness back after missing all of 2014/15, and he did fill in at centre half too.
How many of those 32 were as sub or cameo? Also, I seem to recall that from about November onwards when pitches got boggy Munns featured less and less because he couldn’t play them. I think there was a month or two where Munns barely featured at all.

A couple of really crucial goals from Asa that season. Barrow away I have talked about enough and I won’t forget listening to Bromley away (whilst in the bath) and the very late drama at both ends with Asa popping up with a winner...it was after that game that some on here called the title.
Hubert Parry
Broom only on the bench for Burton again - wonder if he is regretting the move...
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Was Adam Rooney the player who got added to the match programme before signing for someone else? Scores for Solihull Moors today.
Hubert Parry
Luke Rooney.
Fuller
Thought Adam Rooney was at Salford? Previous to that at Aberdeen?
Shade
Fuller wrote:Thought Adam Rooney was at Salford? Previous to that at Aberdeen?
Yes. But now he's at Solihull.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Fuller wrote:Thought Adam Rooney was at Salford? Previous to that at Aberdeen?
Left Salford in March 2020 when he joined Solihull.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Elijah Adebayo scores the winner for Luton in the Championship. Two in two now since signing for Luton last month.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Courtney Duffus scored for Bromley away at Sutton last night. Four goals in ten appearances for them this season.

Be good to see him kick on...perhaps a move back to his home town club at some point?
paperboy
Good to see Tom Sang in Cardiff's team in the Championship tonight.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
paperboy wrote:Good to see Tom Sang in Cardiff's team in the Championship tonight.
Oh wow, that is good.
everyman
Fuller wrote:Surprised to see Asa is now 34, but remember he was a regular starter with Luton, Oxford & Shrewsbury earlier in his career.
I thought Asa and Stoz were the perfect combination in a 4-2-3-1 set up they complimented each other so well.
asl
everyman wrote:I thought Asa and Stoz were the perfect combination in a 4-2-3-1 set up they complimented each other so well.
"You're great, Stoz."
"Says you, Asa! Your hair looks lovely, by the way."
"Oh, stop! That shirt really suits you, you know..."

:) Sorry...
Hubert Parry
Scott Brown has scored an own goal against a former club.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Rob Dickie scores for QPR away at Bristol City.

Duffus scores again.
Hubert Parry
Torquay are doing their best to cock this season up by the looks of things.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Hubert Parry wrote:Torquay are doing their best to cock this season up by the looks of things.
Is Danny Wright still injured? That’s when it seemed to start going wrong.
Hubert Parry
Yes - I am reading their forum now - their injury list is colossal. Sounds like not all is well there - the stubbornness of GJ is rubbing a few fans up the wrong way.
Si Robin
Quelle surprise