Dan Crowley departs

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
ctfc-fan
Be funny if he didn’t get a club or at least not as good an offer than we gave.
asl
Shame. He was class, what little I saw of him.

Sent from my SM-G9860 using Tapatalk

GingerRedMan
Shame, on the upside, brilliant dribbler and opens the game up with his passing
On the downside, sometimes held onto the ball too long for us. Also, hardly ever scored all through his career. Sets things up but very little personal goal threat and limited defensively. And what is football about other than scoring or stopping goals

Wright might get 10+ in a season. He won't be quite as exciting as Crowley but probably adds more to the team

All that said, Crowley is fantastic to watch
Broadway Brian
I suspect he’ll do better in a better team, ie with sharper, more instinctive forwards around him.

Although Upper end of L1 at best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ralph
But it's like it says in the article, we need players that 100% want to be here. He's had a contract on the table for a while and still not signed. SC would have done the same. The only player he ever waited on was Tony Naylor and that was a good thing that he did.

Dan keeps saying about his "faith" and how good the guys are in the dressing room when he's interviewed but it's all just talk isn't it Dan.......

See if the grass is greener elsewhere. It probably won't be..
Horteng
Always felt he’s a bit of a strange character. If the club isn’t good enough then cheerio. No player is bigger than the club itself
Red Duke
I reckon that MD doesn't like to be messed about. He was initially by Crowley but once he found he couldn't get a contract elsewhere, he signed.

Crowley has now repeated the same behaviour and so this time MD is having none of it. It will be interesting to see if he gets another club or come end of January he finds himself on the dole.
Shade
Really not bothered at all. We scored goals before he finally decided he would play for us and we will carry on scoring goals without him. He didn't actually contribute to that many goals we scored. The only thing we will miss is a bit of entertainment, but I also won't miss the frustration of him hanging on to the ball for no reason and then eventually passing sideways, or losing the ball and us getting hit on the counter.
Broadway Brian
Shade wrote:Really not bothered at all. We scored goals before he finally decided he would play for us and we will carry on scoring goals without him. He didn't actually contribute to that many goals we scored. The only thing we will miss is a bit of entertainment, but I also won't miss the frustration of him hanging on to the ball for no reason and then eventually passing sideways, or losing the ball and us getting hit on the counter.
Agreed, although we have Conor Thomas for the latter…
Shade
Broadway Brian wrote: 01 Jan 2022, 20:55
Shade wrote:Really not bothered at all. We scored goals before he finally decided he would play for us and we will carry on scoring goals without him. He didn't actually contribute to that many goals we scored. The only thing we will miss is a bit of entertainment, but I also won't miss the frustration of him hanging on to the ball for no reason and then eventually passing sideways, or losing the ball and us getting hit on the counter.
Agreed, although we have Conor Thomas for the latter…
Apart from Thomas has a big impact on the overall team performance.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
We already gave him a second chance after he messed us around in the summer. Good riddance.
Horteng
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 02 Jan 2022, 08:59 We already gave him a second chance after he messed us around in the summer. Good riddance.
This

With the way Duffo is I'm surprised he went back for him the first time after the summer. He wont be strung along again

Good riddance
HamTown
Surprised at the extent of negative feelings towards him.

He was clearly out of our budget but both sides made it work. Recently he's found himself playing a lesser role in a side that's in poor form and wants to see what options he has - can't begrudge him for that surely?
horlickfanclub
I agree with Ham Town. No need to get bitter and twisted when a player leaves . I enjoyed watching Dan Crowley.It was refreshing to see a skillful player playing for us . We are a much more mundane team without him and less of a problem for decent opposition.
Si Robin
I'm not bitter, but I do agree with Shade.

As much as he was a delight with the ball at his feet he really didn't do that much. He either held on the ball too long or passed it sideways. So many times he could have had shots or passed it to players in a decent position and didn't. I honestly don't think we'll miss him.

Regarding him wanting to go elsewhere - then I do agree with the good riddance. We threw him a lifeline, and even seeing out the season would have been good form from him.

Sadly, with the attitude he has towards clubs, he'll be playing in the Conference in a couple years despite the talent.
Sprout Picker
I tend to agree with the sentiments above. Whilst there is no doubting his talent I'd thought for quite a while that there seemed to be very little end-product in terms of goals and assists. Couple this with a high wage and the need to significantly change the shape of the team to accommodate him and I'm not hugely disappointed to see him depart especially with Callum Wright coming back to fitness who we know contributes with more than his fair share of goals. Shame not to have Taylor Perry available too.

No hard feelings, wish him all the best, just too much of a luxury player for us.
Nesty
Agree Sprout Picker looked good but very often no end product
horlickfanclub
Everyone has an opinion. Fair enough ,but who gives the end product in our team and the early pass ? We have plenty who play side and back as much as Crowley.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
horlickfanclub wrote: 02 Jan 2022, 14:17 Everyone has an opinion. Fair enough ,but who gives the end product in our team and the early pass ? We have plenty who play side and back as much as Crowley.
The Boy and Sercombe is our best centre mid pairing imo. Some of those games like Charlton away showed how good they can be. Then CT, Chapman and Bonds fighting for the remaining spot.
Si Robin
horlickfanclub wrote: 02 Jan 2022, 14:17 Everyone has an opinion. Fair enough ,but who gives the end product in our team and the early pass ? We have plenty who play side and back as much as Crowley.
Exactly, so why bother paying for another one when it's something different we need.
GDP
I'd say it was a useful arrangement for both parties - for the team Cowley covered the period that Wright was out injured and he would / could have hoped that playing regularly would put him in the shop window for a "bigger" team this month.
Shade
Even if you are of the opinion that it is other players not being up to Crowley's level is the reason why he didn't get the goals or assists he probably should have here (which is a bit silly as a good player makes things happen), his style obviously didn't fit with the other players in our squad so he may as well jog on. Rather one player out than change a whole squad to fit around him.

He obviously thinks he should be playing at a higher level or bigger club without having yet earned the right to do so. As Si said, he will probably find himself in the Conference in a year or two if he keeps on the same way. I wonder how much of it is down to his agents bad advice (again).
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote: 03 Jan 2022, 22:07 Even if you are of the opinion that it is other players not being up to Crowley's level is the reason why he didn't get the goals or assists he probably should have here (which is a bit silly as a good player makes things happen), his style obviously didn't fit with the other players in our squad so he may as well jog on. Rather one player out than change a whole squad to fit around him.
A bit like when we are out of possession then.
longmover
imo our downturn in early December coincided with Duff trying to fit Crowley, May and Wright in the same team.
horlickfanclub
Some truth in that. Moving May back in some games for inferior forwards when Crowley should have played and playing Sercombe and Chapman together does not work
QED
Blessing in disguise I reckon. Everyone likes to see a trick or two but the end result was rarely there. With Wright fit again we can probably spend the money better elsewhere.
longtimerobin
I agree with the comments about Crowley, he has undoubted ability on the ball but tried to do to much himself when he could of passed the ball earlier,to open up the oppositions defence, this would of made him look a much player than he showed us. Their must be something wrong with his thinking and attitude on and off the pitch. Why did'nt some one sign him on at the beginning of the season it seems he is to big for his little boots. His ego was not suited for the close togeatherness of the present team, once he started playing regularly for us the results began to dipp. Forget him and move forward to better things. Keep the good work you are doing MICHAEL DUFF i am sure you can take little old Cheltenham into the Championship within a couple of seasons.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
longtimerobin wrote: 04 Jan 2022, 22:21 Forget him and move forward to better things. Keep the good work you are doing MICHAEL DUFF i am sure you can take little old Cheltenham into the Championship within a couple of seasons.
This bit is key I think. Duff’s teams require a certain type of character and effort on and off the pitch. Regardless of his ability, if a player doesn’t have the right character and effort it undermines the whole team approach. Success is not about the best players, it is about the best team.
Benctfc
Agree with much of what has been said. Just dont think he suited our system and didn't contribute enough goals or assists for the role he played.

As a club we always seem to have more success with a team togetherness than bigger name signings. You only have to look back to last season we didn't really have many stand out players in the league but it was a team togetherness and knowing how to play Duff's system which won us the league. Crowley never really suited that. Think we need to go back to the 3-5-2 we know so well and finding players who can fit into that and compete with what we currently have.
Last edited by Benctfc on 05 Jan 2022, 16:39, edited 1 time in total.
Warwickshire Robin
Benctfc wrote: 05 Jan 2022, 08:16 Agree with much of what has been said. Just dont think he suited our system and didn't contribute enough goals or assists for the role he played.

As a club we always seem to have more success with a team togetherness than bigger name signings. You only have to look back to last season we didn't really have many stand out players in the league but it was a team togetherness and knowing how to play Duff's system which one us the league. Crowley never really suited that. Think we need to go back to the 3-5-2 we know so well and finding players who can fit into that and compete with what we currently have.
Yes 100% agree with that. Also, find it interesting there is nothing on the club website statement thanking him for his efforts and wishing him well for the future. Done on purpose or an oversight?!
andgarod
on holiday perhaps! or busy giving out test kits
andgarod
I have just checked the OS and here it is https://www.ctfc.com/news/2022/january/crowley-departs/

Showing as 13 hours ago

I did note it was information only and no thank you or good wishes

Does that imply the manager/directors/or club were a bit disappointed one way or another
longmover
andgarod wrote: 05 Jan 2022, 09:09 I have just checked the OS and here it is https://www.ctfc.com/news/2022/january/crowley-departs/

Showing as 13 hours ago

I did note it was information only and no thank you or good wishes

Does that imply the manager/directors/or club were a bit disappointed one way or another
I don't think the club has to bend over backwards to players that were only here on a short term contract, though the way the club reports a player leaving more than likely gives you an insight into the relationship .
Ralph
Has Crowley got a new team yet? Hope not...