Djokovic

WARNING: This section may contain jokes or topics of an offensive nature.
Recommended for over 18's only. Send Admin a PM to request exclusion.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

asl
Looks like he could be deported from Australia.

Oh, dear. How sad. What a pity.
ctfc-fan
Love it. About the rich and famous were brought down a peg or two. The other players weren’t exactly thrilled in their press conference.
longmover
There's politics involved here, the Aus government have seen the uproar of him being allowed into the country and have had to act (or be seen to), they want him to get the record number of slams in Australia, he can appeal the decision on Monday he will more than likely be playing in Australia.
Red Duke
Served him right. Saying that he had an exemption on Twitter was pretty stupid. He should have said nothing even when he was through passport control in Australia.

We know there is an unwritten rule, one for the very rich and another for the rest but to rub our noses in it was unbelievable.

If he is successful on his appeal, can you imagine how aweful the reception he is likely to get when he appears on the tennis court.
longmover
Red Duke wrote: 06 Jan 2022, 11:17 Served him right. Saying that he had an exemption on Twitter was pretty stupid. He should have said nothing even when he was through passport control in Australia.

We know there is an unwritten rule, one for the very rich and another for the rest but to rub our noses in it was unbelievable.

If he is successful on his appeal, can you imagine how aweful the reception he is likely to get when he appears on the tennis court.
You honestly think that would bother him?
asl
He's hardly Mr Popular at the best of times.

Yes, of course politics are involved - but you can't have one of the most stringent Covid policies in the world and then publically ignore it "because it's Novak."
Red Duke
longmover wrote: 06 Jan 2022, 11:20
Red Duke wrote: 06 Jan 2022, 11:17 Served him right. Saying that he had an exemption on Twitter was pretty stupid. He should have said nothing even when he was through passport control in Australia.

You honestly think that would bother him?
To me, he wants to have popularity and so I think it would bother him. He doesn't understand why crowds love Federer and Nadal but are not keen on him. It is not just about winning lots of tennis matches but you also need to win over the fans with your off-court behaviour. He is very good at the former but absolutely useless with the latter.
longmover
Djokovic's family seem classy :roll:
Red Duke
A nice twist in this saga this morning. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-59920379

I reckon that it is going to rebound into the face of Aussie PM, Scott Morrison.
ctfc-fan
Red Duke wrote:A nice twist in this saga this morning. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-59920379

I reckon that it is going to rebound into the face of Aussie PM, Scott Morrison.
Oh I’m not so sure, this line might hold the key
There had been no prior announcement of his infection.
You’d think if he had actually had it it would’ve been announced in the media like every bit of non interesting news is these days
Red Duke
ctfc-fan wrote: 08 Jan 2022, 10:31
Red Duke wrote:A nice twist in this saga this morning. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-59920379

Oh I’m not so sure, this line might hold the key
There had been no prior announcement of his infection.
You’d think if he had actually had it it would’ve been announced in the media like every bit of non interesting news is these days
If he hadn't announced his exemption on Twitter before flying, this would never have happened. Morrison say it was OK to be in within the rules but changed it the following day due to the furore of the Aussic public. He only did it because of an upcoming election.
asl
But the government apparently emailed Tennis Australia a number of times from Nov onwards to inform them that having had a recent Covid infection does NOT constitute a medical exemption.

Sent from my SM-G9860 using Tapatalk

Red Duke
asl wrote: 08 Jan 2022, 11:35 But the government apparently emailed Tennis Australia a number of times from Nov onwards to inform them that having had a recent Covid infection does NOT constitute a medical exemption.

That's interesting. Tennis Australia & the State Government in Victoria are in the deep do-do then.
longmover
ctfc-fan
Rich and famous mug the normal person off again
paperboy
An absolute shambles.
Once he knew there might be a COVID positive loophole he jumped straight through it. Very convenient, but lots of mileage in this saga left to run.
How did he plan to get in if he hadn't had a positive test?
ctfc-fan
Also what are the laws of his homeland seeing as he was massless and not isolating in the days after he apparently tested positive? Pretty sure I read he should have been isolating so why wasn’t he?
Red Duke
I love that the Aussie Government has shot itself in the foot. It is good to see for democracy that a Judicial system can stand up to a Government and say that you are not applying your laws correctly.

The problem facing the Aussie Government is that by allowing exemptions for one group of people (elite athletes) then others are going to say why doesn't it apply to me, especially going through one of worse lockdowns in the world.

With an election coming up in six months, it sounds like great vote loser.
asl
I'll not cheer until he's actually on the plane leaving Australia - but their government have shown some balls. Apparently, he could now face a 3 year ban from applying for a new visa (as amusing as that would be, I suspect that would be waived...)

longmover
This is the no.1 news story on 5LIVE, government pi55 ups in lockdown is no.2 :shock: :roll:
asl
LOVELY news to wake up to, this fine Sunday morning!

ctfc-fan
Indeed! I started watching it live last night but was was just waffle. Honestly thought he’d get away with it.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Bye bye Novak. You had freedom and liberty to make your choices. You just have to accept those choices do have consequences.

First good news to come out of Australia all winter. Could be more to come….
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 08:36 Bye bye Novak. You had freedom and liberty to make your choices. You just have to accept those choices do have consequences.

:lol: :lol:
ctfc-fan
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 08:36 Bye bye Novak. You had freedom and liberty to make your choices. You just have to accept those choices do have consequences.

Laughing at yourself now?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
ctfc-fan wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 12:12
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:

Laughing at yourself now?
Laughing at how ridiculous it was I momentarily thought there was a chance of victory!
Nesty
The England cricket team are signing Djokovic, At least it took the Aussies more than 1 day to get him out
asl
It gets worse...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/59999541

If this is true, and he was deliberately fabricating the timelines relating to his tests and so providing false evidence in order to gain entry, I hope the ITF and ATP investigate and look into charges of bringing the game into disrepute.