Derby County

Talk about other football teams at all levels. AND ANY Glos City related threads, even if talking about the groundsharing.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

asl
Just when their fans think things can scarcely get any worse... https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59917872

Sent from my SM-G9860 using Tapatalk

ctfc-fan
Was going to post the same thing! Mike Ashley and Wayne Rooney, what a double act…
Shade
Rooney to Everton being mentioned. Like they're not in enough c!#p already :lol:
Ralph
The Liverpool "come home agent Rafa your mission is complete" memes are great. If Everton pick Rooney, proves they have no clue what they are doing
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Deadline looming for them to prove they can fund the rest of the season.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60559677
longmover
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60585235
Fourth official - a lack of respect in how he speaks to you," said Rooney.
oh Wayne :lol: you reap what you sow
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Deadline passed and no comment from the authorities.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Preferred bidder agreed. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60982044

Won’t own the stadium though and as of yet no deal to rent it next season but I imagine that will come.
longmover
Who cares? Seriously what good is going to come of this? What interest has a 34 year old American got in Derby?
Shade
What do you mean 'who cares?' No idea what's going to come of it, except hopefully 6 points for us next season.
longmover
So Derby more than likely have a new owner, BIG money thrown at Rooney to stay, BIG money thrown at players to come to Derby, HUGE season ticket sales. One season in the third tier in front of record crowds with the media dripping themselves in a Rooney / derby orgy and they're back in the champ, not much of a deterrent it it? :shock: :cry:
plymrob
My kids were born in Derbyshire and my 30+ yo son in a DCFC fan. Surely a good thing? He does though watch CTFC with me for a live fottball fix..

There was me thinking one might expect some sympathy for DCFC fans from fellow fans...? There are clubs that have been badly administered... Derby is one. Dare I say, there might be others... A well meaning sugar-daddy (not sure there is yet a female term) down the years has probably contributed to financial downfall of various teams... It's not the fans fault...

At a lower level, although we played them one season in the 1990s when I lived there, Ilkeston Town have been bankrupted twice since - but are happily rising again... What happened to the Che Adams money...? Ask Dave Mantle...? But if you know him, do please give him a wide berth! Rushden, Kettering, Swindon, Wigan, Bury...? And, as I see, it, the income and expenditure of many clubs still at the higher echelon, are often being being queried... Dare I suggest, nowadays, the authorities would struggle with a decision to take points off most leading Premiership teams...? Lower league level to Championship is more do-able...

So, just maybe, it's more about team owners spending money above their own or club's income and/or their average/likely or aspired for 'station'...? DCFC should or could surely be sustainable on their average gates...? Hopefully, a lesson learnt by them (and what could the fans realistically do to change things?). But, I would say, have they now been punished? So, why the hatred? They are League One... Please save your hostility for closer to home comparables moving forward!

For me and my son... Plymouth, Exeter, Derby next season... That's a good thing at this end of the country... Question is... how do we deal with the real Derby games... ! Who's at which end!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
plymrob wrote: 17 May 2022, 16:22 My kids were born in Derbyshire and my 30+ yo son in a DCFC fan. Surely a good thing? He does though watch CTFC with me for a live fottball fix..

There was me thinking one might expect some sympathy for DCFC fans from fellow fans...? There are clubs that have been badly administered... Derby is one. Dare I say, there might be others... A well meaning sugar-daddy (not sure there is yet a female term) down the years has probably contributed to financial downfall of various teams... It's not the fans fault...

At a lower level, although we played them one season in the 1990s when I lived there, Ilkeston Town have been bankrupted twice since - but are happily rising again... What happened to the Che Adams money...? Ask Dave Mantle...? But if you know him, do please give him a wide berth! Rushden, Kettering, Swindon, Wigan, Bury...? And, as I see, it, the income and expenditure of many clubs still at the higher echelon, are often being being queried... Dare I suggest, nowadays, the authorities would struggle with a decision to take points off most leading Premiership teams...? Lower league level to Championship is more do-able...

So, just maybe, it's more about team owners spending money above their own or club's income and/or their average/likely or aspired for 'station'...? DCFC should or could surely be sustainable on their average gates...? Hopefully, a lesson learnt by them (and what could the fans realistically do to change things?). But, I would say, have they now been punished? So, why the hatred? They are League One... Please save your hostility for closer to home comparables moving forward!

For me and my son... Plymouth, Exeter, Derby next season... That's a good thing at this end of the country... Question is... how do we deal with the real Derby games... ! Who's at which end!
Out of interest, when Derby were making it to the playoff were you and your son cheering on Mel Morris’ spending and the club’s transfer policy, or were you questioning where the money was coming from and raising concerns about overspending?
Shade
longmover wrote: 17 May 2022, 13:25 So Derby more than likely have a new owner, BIG money thrown at Rooney to stay, BIG money thrown at players to come to Derby, HUGE season ticket sales. One season in the third tier in front of record crowds with the media dripping themselves in a Rooney / derby orgy and they're back in the champ, not much of a deterrent it it? :shock: :cry:
I didn’t know it’s that easy to get out of League One. Someone should have told Sunderland, Ipswich, Bolton, Portsmouth and a host of other clubs. Leeds would have welcomed the news when they were stuck in the division for a few years.
longmover
plymrob wrote: 17 May 2022, 16:22 My kids were born in Derbyshire and my 30+ yo son in a DCFC fan. Surely a good thing? He does though watch CTFC with me for a live fottball fix..

LOL, lesson learnt even funnier, I'm sure if derby had got to the prem (on bent money and bent accounting) none of this wouldn't be an issue to anyone associated with Derby (that's for the little clubs to worry about) but now its come back to bite they expect everyone to feel sorry for them as its "not the fans fault"

:D
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
longmover wrote: 18 May 2022, 09:07

LOL, lesson learnt even funnier, I'm sure if derby had got to the prem (on bent money and bent accounting) none of this wouldn't be an issue to anyone associated with Derby (that's for the little clubs to worry about) but now its come back to bite they expect everyone to feel sorry for them as its "not the fans fault"

:D
Exactly. I feel sorry for any fan who was questioning Morris and expressing concern about unsustainable spending. Any fan who was just cheering on is part of the problem and won’t get any sympathy from me. Enjoy L1.
Red Duke
longmover wrote: 17 May 2022, 13:25 So Derby more than likely have a new owner, BIG money thrown at Rooney to stay, BIG money thrown at players to come to Derby, HUGE season ticket sales. One season in the third tier in front of record crowds with the media dripping themselves in a Rooney / derby orgy and they're back in the champ, not much of a deterrent it it? :shock: :cry:
Other "big" clubs have been relegated and have endured more than season at the third level, Sunderland, Sheffield Wednesday, Portsmouth, Ipswich etc, and so it is not a foregone conclusion that Derby will be promoted straightaway.
Shade
Red Duke wrote: 18 May 2022, 13:04
Other "big" clubs have been relegated and have endured more than season at the third level, Sunderland, Sheffield Wednesday, Portsmouth, Ipswich etc, and so it is not a foregone conclusion that Derby will be promoted straightaway.
Exactly. Someone should have said that earlier. ;)
plymrob
I probably did not articulate clearly enough for some... but Derby have had their punishment (and might face more). They have paid the price... I think my son was on board before Morris... and I wish DCC well securing the ground with that man benefiting as little as possible. (Why should ratepayers step in...? Ask Argyle...!). I would agree DCFC (and others) have over invested chasing a promotion, and over long over invested - but surely that's no reason to disrespect the fans... or what they support/follow? What say do we supporters have to manage the Board except for a generously funded seat, thanks to a deceased benefactor?

So fans should rebel and stand against any extra financial backing... ? Thank goodness we survive with gate income and no loans... Cayman Islands anyone?

Again, I thought I had tried to explain that I think there are many clubs guilty - and did we not have a weak moment in that regard a few years back? Just saying...!

I'm happy. I/we probably never expected to be playing each other... but we will. Brilliant! I'm just trying to side with the average football fan, plus fans who support the club of their birth... But clearly a flawed attempt.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
plymrob wrote: 18 May 2022, 15:13 I probably did not articulate clearly enough for some... but Derby have had their punishment (and might face more). They have paid the price... I think my son was on board before Morris... and I wish DCC well securing the ground with that man benefiting as little as possible. (Why should ratepayers step in...? Ask Argyle...!). I would agree DCFC (and others) have over invested chasing a promotion, and over long over invested - but surely that's no reason to disrespect the fans... or what they support/follow? What say do we supporters have to manage the Board except for a generously funded seat, thanks to a deceased benefactor?

So fans should rebel and stand against any extra financial backing... ? Thank goodness we survive with gate income and no loans... Cayman Islands anyone?

Again, I thought I had tried to explain that I think there are many clubs guilty - and did we not have a weak moment in that regard a few years back? Just saying...!

I'm happy. I/we probably never expected to be playing each other... but we will. Brilliant! I'm just trying to side with the average football fan, plus fans who support the club of their birth... But clearly a flawed attempt.
If Cheltenham suddenly started spending the same on transfers as Sheffield Wednesday and Sunderland then people would quite rightly be protesting. As Cheltenham fans we have that link to Rushden and Diamonds and recognise a house built on sand when we see one.

And I believe JP and others in the media would be questioning it like they did when Allen was going crazy.

Derby were trying to outspend teams with parachute payments. It was obviously unsustainable and beyond the club’s and Morris’s means.

Our Cayman Island owners are not spending beyond the clubs means. We made a profit in the last accounts!
little mo
BBC reporting it is likely to fall through again. Money for wages in May not arrived also. Oh dear!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Link to the BBC story

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61729900

Once again the importance and value of property at the fore. Morris won’t sell the stadium, or at least the club buyers won’t match his valuation.

It begs the question of is Derby County FC actually worth anything without the stadium? All the buyers will be buying is a loss making football club with wages unsustainable at L1 level, which will probably never break even without two promotions.

Morris will sit there with a massive property asset and the owners with a wage bill to pay.

One major regulatory overhaul would really help the game. If it was law that stadiums have to be owned by a) the exact same registered business entity as the club b) the Council or c) a Supporters Trust then Morris would not have been able to sell the stadium in the first place and this mess would have been avoided.
longmover
looks as though football clubs going to the wall are only for the small ones, chance after chance after chance.
longmover
Quelle Surprise

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61792048

Is anybody going to be held responsible for this mess? Or does everyone just walk away after to the next club.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Close the club. As Longmover says, the likes of Macclesfield were kicked out the league and shut down. Why do Derby get special treatment?
longmover
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 15 Jun 2022, 22:14 Close the club. As Longmover says, the likes of Macclesfield were kicked out the league and shut down. Why do Derby get special treatment?
Because they have potential to earn the EFL a lot of money and the EFL don't want small clubs in the football league.