Michael Duff ahead of Charlton Athletic at home

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
HamTown
What I was hoping to read was:

Will you be trying more short corners?
No, you shall never see another short corner again
Horteng
HamTown wrote: 13 Jan 2022, 16:40 What I was hoping to read was:

Agreed. Short corners are the worst thing in football IMO
Si Robin
longmover

With NLundulu and Etete short corners should be few and far between, they have a place but when they obviously don't work lets not keep trying.
HamTown
longmover wrote: 14 Jan 2022, 09:41

With NLundulu and Etete short corners should be few and far between, they have a place but when they obviously don't work lets not keep trying.
Yes, a little bit OTT by me but the repeated failing to get it in the box is just infuriating and fear without Hussey we may opt for even more on that side.

I also suspect that they generally make the opposition's counter attack more dangerous by the ball turning over low to the ground on the wing but can't really back that up
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
It’s not the short corner which is the problem, it is the failure to get the cross or shot in which is the problem.

If we abandoned short corners but always either hit the first man or hit it too long, would you want us to stop crossing in corners?
HamTown
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 14 Jan 2022, 13:02 It’s not the short corner which is the problem, it is the failure to get the cross or shot in which is the problem.

If we abandoned short corners but always either hit the first man or hit it too long, would you want us to stop crossing in corners?
This seems like an issue with crossing regardless of going short or direct

May and previously Hussey and Crowley all showed they have a decent cross in them from a corner why faff about? And yes, I'd rather see us have a go and hit the first man than lose it after panicking when a single player presses us
Shade
The main problem with the short corners is when we have taken them we faff around with it too much. Rather than being a well drilled training ground routine, they look like they have just met at the corner flag and gone "yeah, just give it to me short, we'll figure something out". Whoever has the ball and is supposed to be passing or crossing it into the box always seems to want another touch to try and get space or set the ball properly, and we end up going backwards or losing it. If we do them, they need to be much sharper and we are left looking like idiots time and again.

While I'm at it, can someone tell our players that when they throw the ball in short to someone, don't spike it into the ground about 3 yards in front of them, otherwise they receive it at a very awkward height to control, especially in a tight space!!! Throw it to their feet, for Cotterill's sake.