Dylan Barkers

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Warwickshire Robin
A bit of a strange one for me, I thought he has looked useful in the few appearances he has made to date. Obviously the management see him in training and think he's not ready but with the issues we've had with the defensive midfield role thought he may have more opportunities. Does this mean the ex Chelsea lad will be signing??
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I assume his data (sprints, distance, etc) isn’t good enough for L1 currently. That’s different from football ability.
Shade
Bonds is preferred. We seem to only have one squad spot for a strong, tackling defensive midfielder.
Broadway Brian
Shade wrote:Bonds is preferred. We seem to only have one squad spot for a strong, tackling defensive midfielder.
And mysteriously it’s been given to Bonds who appears to be none of those.

We have 2 of the most passive midfielders in the league in Thomas and Bonds. We lack steel.
horlickfanclub
I rate Barkers and he needs to have a bit more faith in him. It is obvious he has strength and can distibute the ball. I think he has more of a future than Bonds and hope we can sign him for another year. If not I can see other clubs picking him up. Shame he gets shipped out to Conference North.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Broadway Brian wrote: 14 Jan 2022, 15:43
Shade wrote:Bonds is preferred. We seem to only have one squad spot for a strong, tackling defensive midfielder.

We have 2 of the most passive midfielders in the league in Thomas and Bonds. We lack steel.
Before his injury Bonds was fantastic. Like a League Kante the way he tackled and won the ball. Still getting up to speed after his layoff but Duff must think he is closer to the required levels that Barkers currently is.
Broadway Brian
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Broadway Brian wrote: 14 Jan 2022, 15:43

Before his injury Bonds was fantastic. Like a League Kante the way he tackled and won the ball. Still getting up to speed after his layoff but Duff must think he is closer to the required levels that Barkers currently is.
I think we saw different players but agree he was a positive addition in his handful of games pre ACL.

But he was powderpuff against Plymouth, Oxford and Burton. It seemed an unwise, and likely unfair, decision to start him against Plymouth but we need him to give us 10, 20, 30 minutes of bite when he comes on and he doesn’t seem anywhere near that at the moment.

Thomas needs competition. For me, he’s a real weak link at the moment.

Hopefully Ramsey can provide that although I’m not sure where he fits or what formation he needs to get the best out of him and CW.
horlickfanclub
From the clips and reports on Ramsay he will not be a Thomas type player. More an option to replace Alfie or CW playing off a big man.
Garby74
The few times I have seen Bonds recently he has been awful. My 12 year daughter is better at tackling.
When he came on against Burton he won 1 tackle..albeit an important sliding tackle.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I can only judge Bonds on the games I saw before his injury where he regularly made tackles, came away with the ball and played a simple pass.

Cannot judge him on games this season as he is still getting up to speed from injury.

I will also trust Duff’s judgement ahead of that of random internet people.
Broadway Brian
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:I can only judge Bonds on the games I saw before his injury where he regularly made tackles, came away with the ball and played a simple pass.

Cannot judge him on games this season as he is still getting up to speed from injury.

I will also trust Duff’s judgement ahead of that of random internet people.
Fellow Cheltenham fans on a forum mate but anyway…

Fingers crossed he has a belter if and when he’s on today. We need a win desperately.
Shade
I think he may be cursed. Came on in the 93rd minute and 5 seconds later the ball is in our net. I don't think he was to blame, though!!!
Fuller
Shade wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 17:08 I think he may be cursed. Came on in the 93rd minute and 5 seconds later the ball is in our net. I don't think he was to blame, though!!!
Must be one of the shortest times ever for a sub to see his team to concede a goal!
He wasn't to blame but I thought Boyle and Freestone could have done a bit more to stop Ryan Inniss getting such an easy header back into the danger zone.
horlickfanclub
The cross should have been stopped . Defending too deep again.