Cheltenham Town v Charlton Athletic

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ben version 4:0 wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 08:51 There used to be a sage old poster on this site who always knew the coup. Ben3 said we would finish 14th and he was the only person who knew anything about football on the site. He was very rarely wrong.

I'd stick with him on that, the third season in a row he successfully predicted our finishing position. Remarkable really, I'm amazed more people don't listen to him...yet we have to put up with the inane blatherings of 'we need three points from next three games' nonsense
Better get a win or two soon then otherwise 14th will be looking too optimistic.
Ben version 4:0
Indeed!! We need 3.7 points from the next 4.2 must win games and I hope we get 9.4 points from the remaining 37.9 otherwise we'll be relegated with morecambe :D :D :roll: :roll:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ben version 4:0 wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 08:59 Indeed!! We need 3.7 points from the next 4.2 must win games and I hope we get 9.4 points from the remaining 37.9 otherwise we'll be relegated with morecambe :D :D :roll: :roll:
No decimals in football, and only 20 games left but you are otherwise correct…if we don’t take 3 points when the opportunity arises and only get 9 more points all season we will be relegated.

Fairly sure everyone is confident we will get many more than that though. I certainly am.
Nesty
AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!! I was too pissed off to post anything last night, but if I had I was going to mention that every time we are hanging on to a slender lead we concede after making non sensical substitutions. OK if someone is injured or running on empty but jeez !
I am confused.com that we had two left backs on the bench !
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Nesty wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 10:08 AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!! I was too pissed off to post anything last night, but if I had I was going to mention that every time we are hanging on to a slender lead we concede after making non sensical substitutions. OK if someone is injured or running on empty but jeez !
I am confused.com that we had two left backs on the bench !
Re left backs, one hasn’t played since October 2021 and one hasn’t played since 2020 so it’s perfectly clear that neither may be ready yet. Duff specifically said the advantage of getting players in early Jan is that they can get up to the required levels in time for the last three months of the season.
horlickfanclub
The required level being not being able to defend for 90 minutes. The default sub move of swapping Long across to push up Blair and buggering about the back four fails again. We should have pushed for the second goal. Charlie Brown is gathering splinters while Alfie misses sitters.
Fuller
Just watched their equaliser again. Boyle and Freestone both jumped with Inniss but although Inniss is tall our two seemed to get in the way of each other and he won the header easily. We didn’t defend his knockdown either and that was that.
I’m still well hacked off.
Makes it worse when in the last 9 games we’ve either lost or drawn against teams who didn’t look anything special at all. And in many of those games we’ve taken the lead too, but couldn’t hang on.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Fuller wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 11:28 Just watched their equaliser again. Boyle and Freestone both jumped with Inniss but although Inniss is tall our two seemed to get in the way of each other and he won the header easily. We didn’t defend his knockdown either and that was that.
Makes it worse when in the last 9 games we’ve either lost or drawn against teams who didn’t look anything special at all. And in many of those games we’ve taken the lead too, but couldn’t hang on.
Could the cross have been stopped or was it a set-piece?
Nesty
Si Robin wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 07:11
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 15 Jan 2022, 21:21
asl wrote: 15 Jan 2022, 19:45 https://www.ctfc.com/news/2022/january/club-statement

Sent from my SM-G9860 using Tapatalk
Not nice and not what we do expect at Cheltenham. Another downer on today as well as the result.
From what I've seen on social media, it was Charlton fans. 3 have been arrested apparently.
Watching on Ifollow could it have been when we scored and Dan N'lundulu ran over to the away fans over in the corner between the Colin Farmer stand and the away end?
Nesty
horlickfanclub wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 10:46 The required level being not being able to defend for 90 minutes. The default sub move of swapping Long across to push up Blair and buggering about the back four fails again. We should have pushed for the second goal. Charlie Brown is gathering splinters while Alfie misses sitters.
what is Alfie doing taking corners and free kicks? he should be in the box .

Another Question - how do you get the ball off Cheltenham Town ? Answer - give it to Matty Blair
longmover
One goal just isn't enough in this league, the decision making and finishing in front of goal just isn't good enough. Alfie May is too inconsistent at this level, lots of huff and puff and winding up the opposition but that's about it fingers crossed NLundulu and Etete can resolve this issue.
Shade
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 11:35
Fuller wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 11:28 Just watched their equaliser again. Boyle and Freestone both jumped with Inniss but although Inniss is tall our two seemed to get in the way of each other and he won the header easily. We didn’t defend his knockdown either and that was that.
A throw in where we had everyone back in our own box, and they threw it backwards. The guy then had all the time in the world to set himself up and put it in to the box from deep as there was no CTFC player within 25 yards. Ironically, it was just about the only ball they put into the box in the second half that didn't end up with Evans or out for a goal kick.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 11:28
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 11:35
A throw in where we had everyone back in our own box, and they threw it backwards. The guy then had all the time in the world to set himself up and put it in to the box from deep as there was no CTFC player within 25 yards. Ironically, it was just about the only ball they put into the box in the second half that didn't end up with Evans or out for a goal kick.
Lesson to be learned there then. Keep one or two pressing up.
longmover
asl
Update on the homophobic chanting at the weekend:

https://www.ctfc.com/news/2022/january/ ... -incident/

I guess that puts paid to any theories about it being Charlton fans...

Si Robin
asl wrote: 18 Jan 2022, 13:31 Update on the homophobic chanting at the weekend:

https://www.ctfc.com/news/2022/january/ ... -incident/

I guess that puts paid to any theories about it being Charlton fans...

Does it? I was in my season ticket seat in the Colin Farmer and had a Charlton fan in front of me.

EDIT: I should clarify - I think you're probably right that it was Cheltenham "fans", but there's nothing in the statement that says it is.
Fuller
And what are the club doing about the flares going off?
Could be a very serious incident sooner or later.
longmover
Fuller wrote: 18 Jan 2022, 14:56 And what are the club doing about the flares going off?
This will mean more security checks going into the ground FOR EVERYONE, not just block 1 of the Colin Farmer, until the culprit(s) is/are banned from WR for life then this sort of nonsense will continue. The singing section seem to think that because they sing they can do as they please.
Red Duke
Fuller wrote: 18 Jan 2022, 14:56 And what are the club doing about the flares going off?
What really concerns me is the chemical hazards associated with these flares. None of the chemicals used in them should be entering the lungs.

I watched Matt's vlog from the game and saw at close quarters what happened. There were a lot of young people who must have been breathed in these chemicals. It is so much more dangerous than getting these chemicals on your skin.

The lads who set these things off have no idea how hazardous these things are because I bet there are no safety instructions with them.
Shade
Was it a flare or a smoke bomb? I didn't see it other than a bit of smoke floating away afterwards.
Red Duke
Shade wrote: 18 Jan 2022, 18:00 Was it a flare or a smoke bomb? I didn't see it other than a bit of smoke floating away afterwards.
It makes no difference. Both are as hazardous as each other.
Shade
Red Duke wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 10:11
Shade wrote: 18 Jan 2022, 18:00 Was it a flare or a smoke bomb? I didn't see it other than a bit of smoke floating away afterwards.
Not quite, flares generally burn at a much higher temperature and are a lot harder to "put out", and contain more toxic chemicals. Not condoning either, I hate both after being caught in a smoke bomb cloud at an away game once, but they aren't as hazardous as each other.
Ralph
Looked like a smoke bomb. Some of them in it were coughing. Bit pointless letting it off when there was still playing time
Red Duke
Shade wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 11:31
Red Duke wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 10:11
Not quite, flares generally burn at a much higher temperature and are a lot harder to "put out", and contain more toxic chemicals. Not condoning either, I hate both after being caught in a smoke bomb cloud at an away game once, but they aren't as hazardous as each other.
I was referring to the inhalation of the smoke as being no difference. The chemicals generated from both will damage the lungs.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
It doesn’t even add to the atmosphere. Would love one of the pyromaniacs to explain a) why they think it helps the atmosphere and b) why they don’t care about the health of others.